corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
... It is really simple to do if you have the know how to replace your rotor the backing plate comes off with like 3 10mm bolts once the rotor is off. The wheel speed sensor is sort of unprotected but I can always bend a piece of aluminum and just protect that if needed.
You might want to consider adding some sort of sheetmetal shields to help keep brake heat off of the outer tierod ends.

Norm
Sponsored

OP
OP

Caballito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Base
brakes are all about managing heat. needing the best fluid like SRF means the brake system is marginal for the task. So the solution is bigger calipers, bigger rotors, more air cooling. What and how much depends. That's why others posted on experience level because a faster guy will heat the system more and faster and sooner reaching or exceeding capacity.

As I try and figure out and develop my 2019 GT racecar brakes are so far a problem. The next to highest carbotech pad on 2 piece rotors wasn't enough. Some say the undertray scoops move more air than 3" ducts. I took that to the next level and removed the protective plate so air can be diverted right to the center of the rotor. I will see if that works in my race this weekend. It is really simple to do if you have the know how to replace your rotor the backing plate comes off with like 3 10mm bolts once the rotor is off. The wheel speed sensor is sort of unprotected but I can always bend a piece of aluminum and just protect that if needed.
i did that a while a go i will
Also find out if that helps

Dave TBG

Patiently waiting...
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 EB 201A, '86 Porsche 944
2-3L for a full flush. I try to do it in 2L but its hard to tell when to stop on each caliper when its all about the same color.
It was easier in the good old days. Start with blue in the spring and switch to gold mid-season.

fatbillybob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT pp1 A10 Orange
You might want to consider adding some sort of sheetmetal shields to help keep brake heat off of the outer tierod ends.

Norm
Really? Is that a known problem? Tierod end is an inch away from rotor. We had issue with vettes but clearance was only a quarter inch.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Really? Is that a known problem? Tierod end is an inch away from rotor. We had issue with vettes but clearance was only a quarter inch.
I don't know whether it is or not, but I'd rather be a bit pro-active with something like that than find out otherwise the hard/expensive way. Comes from spending a career as an engineer, perhaps.

Norm

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
I have not read all the responses in this thread.

The problem with the base brakes is the cooling fin design of the rotor. The inlet is on the wheel side of the rotor. The rotors will never get enough cooling to work in a track situation. Upgrade is the only choice if you are a decent driver.
Sponsored