The evolution of the Mustang Black Box data

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 (#K2503), 2017 Cayman
The data in the Mustang Airbag Control Module (ACM) has evolved over time and a lot more data is available.
Here is what was available in the first year it became available in 2001:

o The number of restraint system diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) present when the event occurred

o Time from algorithm enable to driver’s and passenger’s seat belt pretensioner deployment enable (msec)

o Timing of the deployment command for various restraint systems including the driver’s and passenger’s first and, where applicable, second stage airbags and belt pretensioners for buckled occupants (msec)

o Longitudinal Crash Pulse data including a data table and data graph showing the longitudinal acceleration and resulting change in forward velocity (delta-V, MPH) versus time (Acceleration and delta-V polarity conforms to SAE J211)

o The module contains 116 milliseconds of acceleration data at 1ms intervals. Users should be aware that most crashes last 100 to 150 milliseconds, and that the limited time duration of data may not be sufficient to capture the entire crash.

There was no pre-crash data, so if someone downloaded the ACM, there is no recorded pre-impact speed.
Starting in 2005, pre-crash data became available.
The amount of pre-crash data has continued to expand.
The 2019's have all of this data;

§ Faults Present at Start of Event

§ Longitudinal and Lateral Delta-V

§ Pre-Crash Data (-1 Second)

§ Ignition cycle, crash

§ Frontal air bag warning lamp, on/off

§ Occupant size classification, front passenger (Child size Yes/No [Hex value])

§ Safety belt status, driver

§ Seat track position switch, foremost, status, driver

§ Seat track position switch, foremost, status, front passenger

§ Safety belt status, front passenger

§ Brake Telltale

§ ABS Telltale

§ ESC/TC Telltale

§ ESC/TC Off Telltale

§ Speed Control Telltale

§ Powertrain Wrench Telltale

§ Powertrain Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) Telltale

§ Pre-Crash Data (-5 Seconds to 0, 2 samples/sec)

§ Speed, vehicle indicated MPH

§ "Accelerator pedal, % full"

§ Service brake, on/off

§ Engine RPM

§ ABS activity (engaged, non-engaged)

§ Brake Powertrain Torque Request (Yes, No)

§ Traction Control via Brakes (engaged, non-engaged)

§ Engine Torque (N-m)

§ Driver Gear Select (Auto Trans)

§ Pre-Crash Data (-5 Seconds to 0, 10 samples/sec)

§ Stability Control Lateral Acceleration (g)

§ Stability Control Longitudinal Acceleration (g)

§ Stability Control Yaw Rate (deg/sec)

§ System Status at Time of Retrieval

§ VIN as programmed into RCM at factory

§ Current VIN from PCM

§ Ignition cycle, download (first record)

§ Ignition cycle, download (second record)

§ Restraints Control Module Part and Serial Numbers

§ Restraints Control Module Software Part Number (Version)

§ Restraints Control Sensor Serial Numbers

§ System Status at Event

§ Complete file recorded (yes,no)

§ Multi-event, number of events

§ Time from event 1 to 2 (msec)

§ Lifetime Operating Timer at event time zero (seconds)

§ Key-on Timer at event time zero (seconds)

§ Vehicle voltage at time zero (Volts)

§ Energy Reserve Mode entered during event (Y/N)

§ Parameters reporting time RCM and satellite sensors lost relative to time zero (if applicable)

§ Deployment Data

§ Supported airbag and associated stage deployment times in (msec)

§ Supported pretensioner deployment times in (msec)

§ Maximum delta-V, longitudinal (MPH[km/h])

§ Time, maximum delta-V longitudinal (msec)

§ Maximum delta-V, lateral (MPH[km/h])

§ Time, maximum delta-V lateral (msec)

§ Supported parameters reporting satellite sensors discriminating deployment (if applicable)

§ Supported parameters reporting satellite sensors safing or confirming deployment (if applicable)

Law enforcement will routinely get a court appointed search warrant in the event of a fatality and get the data from the vehicle. They almost always leave a copy of the warrant on the floor board after they have downloaded the ACM. From this data they will know the vehicle speed 5 seconds prior to impact. The first years actually stored that data in the Power-train Control Module (PCM). The PCM could store up to 25 seconds of data.
Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
So after a wreck, destroy the acm or remove it. Drill some holes right in to it. Say it’s been that way for a long time lolz.

Where is the pcm? Easily removable?

Acm is under radio if I recall when I swapped mine out. I still have my oem one; may keep it and toss it in in case of a wreck.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
The sky is falling...

If the Driver who caused a catastrophic wreck isn’t or wasn’t at fault for being a complete asshole on public roads (ie: street racing, excessive speed, etc), or wasn’t under the influence of (insert XYZ drugs or alcohol here) - then there shouldn’t be ANY concern of THEIR vehicle’s data logs being extricated.

OP
OP
dpAtlanta

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 (#K2503), 2017 Cayman
Where is the pcm? Easily removable?
It is attached to the radiator support on the passenger side.
Yes, easy to remove...there are usually three large electrical connectors and several fasteners attaching the module to structure.
2005 - 2007 uses PCM for data storage
2008 - 2009 is NOT supported (No Data)
2010 - 2019 uses ACM for data storage

The PCM location is indicated below:

2005.JPG

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
The sky is falling...

If the Driver who caused a catastrophic wreck isn’t or wasn’t at fault for being a complete asshole on public roads (ie: street racing, excessive speed, etc), or wasn’t under the influence of (insert XYZ drugs or alcohol here) - then there shouldn’t be ANY concern of THEIR vehicle’s data logs being extricated.
Yeah, but what if the other driver is at fault, but they download your data and find out that you were doing 4 mph above the speed limit, so they decide to hold you accountable as well?
Secondly, are we really sure that the right to download your data will be forever limited solely to catastrophic crashes? In this day and age of Big Brother and nanny states, it could be just a matter of time until cops are empowered to read your data and to hold it against you whenever they see fit. I'm sure many of them are already rubbing their hands at that thought.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
Is there not phone apps that track your driving now with the safe driver discounts lol. The point is this type of data will be used more and more. Insurance companies will start requiring it in all accidents where the insured is at possible fault. Removing and or damaging the part that records the information is not going to help you I bet. It would not take a rocket scientist to sort out a wrecked mustang with a missing ACM. Lol.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Is there not phone apps that track your driving now with the safe driver discounts lol.
Yes, but those are opt-in. You still have the option of saying "screw you, I don't need your discount". Whereas Ford's ACM is there whether you like it or not.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Is it illegal to remove whatever it is that contains the data? I can’t see it. Ie. If I wreck caused by me and I have dash cam. Better believe I’d erase the data/remove ssd or hdd.
I wouldn’t want the data against me

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Box data logging has been around since 1994; GM was the first to use it.

Source:
https://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/pdf/esv/esv17/Proceed/00203.pdf

Now before everyone dawns their tin foil hats - why be concerned with how you’re tracked in your vehicle?

You’re being tracked as much if not more by your damn phones (or other mobile devices). You’re photos are tracked and tagged (for those that don’t know). You’re tracked via GPS the instant you use your in-vehicle navigation or plug into “Waze” or any other similar nav app. GPS also tracks speed, location, etc.

I mean, the “panic” over what the APIM or PCM is gathering is silly.

Not to mention the zillions of in-car camera, stop light camera, ATM camera, security camera, doorbell camera or XYZ camera footage being captured nearly EVERYWHERE across the planet these days.

All of us are being tracked, monitored, tagged, watched, listened to, recorded, etc... and in many instances without any one of us even knowing.

An APIM or PCM data log of your daily driving should be the least thing to worry about in 2020.

Accident reconstruction (major accidents) can determine if the person doing “4 mph over” had any fault in a major accident involving fatalities or serous wounds.

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
Not to mention the current and near future advancements in AI in general. It is coming, but how soon will we see the impacts is the bigger question. Erasing data and removing equipment will just be the same as tampering with evidence. Good luck.

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not to mention the current and near future advancements in AI in general. It is coming, but how soon will we see the impacts is the bigger question. Erasing data and removing equipment will just be the same as tampering with evidence. Good luck.
True about AI and how fast tech is advancing.

Plus due to the huge “cloud” coverage (that isn’t going away), there’s going to be data backups and backups of those backups... trying to remove the physical part won’t ever erase or destroy cloud data.

For those that don’t want to be tracked, hitch a ride with Doc & Marty and go back to the Old West.

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
True about AI and how fast tech is advancing.

Plus due to the huge “cloud” coverage (that isn’t going away), there’s going to be data backups and backups of those backups... trying to remove the physical part won’t ever erase or destroy cloud data.

For those that don’t want to be tracked, hitch a ride with Doc & Marty and go back to the Old West.
No kidding, or stick to the SN95 or older stangs, lol.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
If I wreck caused by me and I have dash cam. Better believe I’d erase the data/remove ssd or hdd.
I wouldn’t want the data against me
FWIW. The legal term for that is spoliation of evidence. It's considered proof the recording would have incriminated you. You MIGHT get away with removing the card and claiming there was never one in it but judges/juries might find that hard to believe.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
It's not so much about being tracked. It's more about what kind of data is tracked and, most importantly, in which ways and to what extent they can and will use it against you.

Last edited:

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS convertible
You guys have me about convinced to ditch the S550 and start using the 66 Vette as my DD. No digital electronics, no tracking. It even has breaker point ignition, so it'll still be going after Iran blows up an EMP weapon over us.....lol
Sponsored