Sponsored

Driving gloves and shoes. Does anyone use?

psg

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stu
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, GMC Sierra Denali 6.2l, Lotus Super 7, Aprilia Tuono 1100 RR, BMW HP2S. BMW 750LiX
Dave TBG is right, old school, plus the steering on many cars in the '50s or there-abouts were heavy, and in a long race you could also get blisters. Likewise 'driving shoes' were like the Pumas in Chef jpd post, narrow because many of the European sports cars of the same vintage had very closely spaced pedals because of small pedal boxes. The soles were also grippy rubber (in an era when most people wore leather soled shoes), because a lot of the pedals were smooth bare metal.

Stu
Sponsored

Blue Moon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Perform Pack Std
No shoes. Driving in winter, I like my old Air Force Nomex flight gloves.

Sponsored

Teej

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
TJ
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 401A, PP2 & 2017 Mazda 6 6spd
I have some Pilotti, or they may be called something else I use for driving. Mainly because of the rounded heel and the thinner sole. Makes it easier to move the feet and feel the pedals but I mainly only use them in the Mustang. I also have some driving gloves that I will occasionally wear, but really only if on curvy roads and what not.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
No I don't use either. My hands don't get sweaty while driving and I don't have trouble gripping the steering wheel. I practice heel-toe with my normal everyday shoes, so I find it very comfortable and natural to use those same shoes when I drive on track.

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
Glad I'm not the only person that enjoys barefoot driving. It's either that or dying with a pair of flip flops on.
<<< same here.

I have some G-Force midtop racing boots from when I did that. I might wear them next time driving in the NGA mountains.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Autocrossing / HPDE - shoes yes (Pilotis bought for $35 off their sale since I never wanted to spend much not being sure they actually make a difference - but they do)
Anyone wanting to see if they help them can try cheap wrestling shoes first. You will want to take them off when out of the car even sooner than driving shoes since they don't have much of a lifespan on rough surfaces.

ManyfordsnoMustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT convertible Magnetic 10 spd auto loaded; '04 Maruader SC, 1970 442 W30 Convertible, 2014 Fusion Energi
Never used gloves but when I auto-crossed I had driving shoes. I have tiny feet (and hands for whatever that's worth) and racing shoes really helped. I don't race enough anymore to worry about it but Onitsuka Tiger shoes work just as well for me now and they double as a shoe I can use all the time.

Sponsored

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
When I get to work I put on the steel toes and when I leave I put the sneakers back on. Does this count?

Rover

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scotty
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT , Porsche Boxster S, BMW X5d, FORD Transit Diesel, 2500 Ram Diesel, Mazda CX5
Vehicle Showcase
No gloves. I do always wear an old favorite pair of cross trainers. Aka sneakers. You wouldn't want to drive my car bare foot - lol
1.jpg

psg

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stu
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, GMC Sierra Denali 6.2l, Lotus Super 7, Aprilia Tuono 1100 RR, BMW HP2S. BMW 750LiX
When I get to work I put on the steel toes and when I leave I put the sneakers back on. Does this count?
Steel toes are perfect driving shoes (boots) for a Cat D10 or whatever you have to climb up into to drive.
Stu

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
Yes to both. I do a ton of track days and work for the SCCA with their Track Night program. Driving shoes are great to help with heel/toe and pedal feel. Hell, I've blown through multiple pairs of Onitsuka Tiger's and Pumas. I wore fingerless gloves because it greatly helps in gripping the wheel in hot weather and dealing with sweat. The fingerless ones dont get as hot either.

However now that things are more serious with a cage, race seat, HANS and a 6 point harness I have upped to a proper set of Sparco race gloves as well as shoes. Suit is next but I'm still in the research phase.

When it comes to safety, do it. If you are just a casual street driver, do whatever makes you happy.
Sponsored