Sponsored

Is it posible to loss traction with traction control on?

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Just to reduce this to the most simple and elementary form.. not trying to talk down to anyone or anything. Just trying to explain the root of the issue.

Traction control only reacts AFTER the car has lost traction. The way traction control works, it does absolutely nothing to try to predict what will happen next. It's like the police that only show up after the murder and subsequent telephone call (not trying to insult LEOs here, just trying to explain).

SO - the driver of the car has to predict what will happen based on their actions. In other words, if you come up to a corner on an icy day at 100 mph the traction control won't and can't save you. If you come up to a very sharp corner on a perfect day at 100 mph, traction control can't save you.

Common sense, right? Basically if you think about it a little - traction control is for when you SLIGHTLY misjudge the amount of traction that's available. Traction control will save you almost every time if you are close to the limits and just going a tiny bit past the available traction.

The OP asked - is it possible to lose traction with traction control on? Absolutely it is possible and traction control will never do anything at all unless you first lose traction. Whether traction control will help you out of a jam depends on how severe and immediate the loss of traction is.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Stability control would have saved me on my accident
Maybe, maybe not. That's not the point though. In my experience, people tend to get stupid cause they figure the 'safety feature' will kick in. after a while they think they have mario andretti mad driving skills. They seem to be the only ones with demerits and at fault accidents. Anyways, what happen to you (besides the obvious)? Roads look nice and dry.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra

Sponsored

Blue Moon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Perform Pack Std
I have 4 good Blizzak snow tires, rarely turn off traction control, and I lose traction all the time. Just today I was drifting across an icy parking lot. With TC on, the car is a lot easier to control, donuts are much slower, burnouts are more gentle, and it's much quicker and easier to recover from them than it is with the nannies off. So yes, they definitely help a lot, but no, they won't save you if you do something totally stupid.

Coolmanfoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt
I can't even.....

Traction and stability control do not mean you can mash the throttle to the floor and the car will sort everything out.

I weep for the younger generations......
Hahahaha I'm so happy you showed up

71Rcode

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP 6-speed base
I lost traction accelerating hard in the rain today in 2nd gear with traction control on. Just for a second.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
How's the traction control tuned in the Mustang? Will it kick in at the very first sign of traction loss, like an overly cautious nanny? Or will it allow you to play a little before it steps in?
Can you get a bit of power oversteer, within reasonable limits, without turning it off?

Sponsored

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020, MT, EU (not quite PP1), Magneride
How's the traction control tuned in the Mustang? Will it kick in at the very first sign of traction loss, like an overly cautious nanny? Or will it allow you to play a little before it steps in?
Can you get a bit of power oversteer, within reasonable limits, without turning it off?
Since once traction is lost there may be only a few milliseconds of time to react in order to regain traction before the car will possibly spin out of control, how long would you prefer it to wait before kicking in? As traction control can be disabled when so desired and the driver is thus presumably prepared for it, what is the sense in waiting even a millisecond before otherwise kicking in once the system detects traction has been lost/degraded?

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I don't know. Just asking.
In my previous car, 240 HP and FWD, due to the wrong wheel drive one of the wheels tended to slip every time I took off a bit quicker. And the traction control would kick in instantly and would cut off the gas. Which was a bit annoying.
But when I test drove a RWD Jaguar and tried to unsettle its tail a bit, I seem to remember being able to do that without interference from the traction control, although I hadn't disabled it.
Sorry if that came up as a stupid question. Still learning... :blush:

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
From my very limited Mustang experience :

I had a test drive in a GT and it let go a little (I provoked it and I expected it).

It was on a country road that I know well, slightly uphill, not perfect tarmac and around 10 deg C. I put the car in the middle of the road (nothing coming the other way and good visibility before I get flamed ... lol), rolled onto the gas in second and it started to let go at about 4500. I featherd the gas just a little, let it catch and continued well up into third.

When it went, it slid a little down the road camber, not a great amount, but enough to let me know where the limit was, enough to require a little steering correction and enough for the lady from ford sat at the side of me to know about it ...

Other than around the dealers to hear the exhaust in track, the full test drive was in sport + and I didn’t notice the traction light come on (not sure if the mustang tells you when it’s intervening ?).

If the car did intervene it was seamless, it acted exactly as my e36 M3 evo would have done (321 bhp and the last of the M cars not to have any form of traction or stability control).

I’m not sure how much more it was willing to let me play before it would have noticeably intervened - and I wasn’t prepared to find out on a test drive in an unfamiliar car on a public road ... :cwl:

WD :like:

Grassfed65

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT manual with PP1
I believe the PP1, PP2 and Bullitt all have a more aggressive TC program that allows a bit more freedom before it kicks in.
Sponsored