Turbo guard vortech/paxton

08fordgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2016 shelby gt350 race red
I emailed turbo guard. They said the prefilter has been discounted for material availability issues.
Sponsored

cookymunster_gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bert
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt grabber blue
Anybody daily there vortech/paxton or procharger with a turbo guard? Mine just came in the mail and want to put it on but I'm scared something may get sucked into my blower. Small rock or something stupid. Anybody run into any issues? They say the cold air kit for the vortech/paxton cars are restrictive especially at the inlet of the blower. Thanks in advance for your input
Just run a stubby filter for daily use and open blower for racing
C95FE89F-A105-4623-98C0-5D37B5595A1D.jpeg

imrex613

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I run 2 turbo guards on a low mount turbo system and have 0 issues at all. If anything you might hurt the supercharger/turbo (still rare) but I have a hard time believing anything will actually make it to the motor.

JP Stang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JP Knight
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP
It fits on my vortech JT, no issue.
IMG_1075.JPG
I see that you just vented to atmosphere on valve driver side. But what about the vacuum line that attaches to the intake snorkel? Do i just let it vent out or plug it? See photo below.

upload_2020-2-19_9-5-56.png

TorresDoe8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Juan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt
I'm having the same issues you guys mentioned with my procharger, so what is the actual difference between running the blower open with guard or with a filter ?

Sponsored

Nawsad123

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bonez
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Opening this thread back up. Any issues with not using a filter on the vortech? I just took it off n made a turbo gaurd for it...

daSNAK3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Opening this thread back up. Any issues with not using a filter on the vortech? I just took it off n made a turbo gaurd for it...
Yea, sucking shit in and damaging your blower. Not a good idea for normal driving, imo.

Nawsad123

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bonez
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Yea, sucking shit in and damaging your blower. Not a good idea for normal driving, imo.
I could see dust being a factor for sure.
Aesthetically, almost looks better without the filter

IMG_9709.jpeg

IMG_9710.jpeg

cookymunster_gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bert
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt grabber blue
Ran mine almost exclusively on a guard for 3 years no issues. If you live where there’s lots of dust run a filter for daily use . But it won’t hurt if you leave it on there a few days

Marketplaza

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT shadow black and 18 dodge caravan
I’m looking at all these set ups cause I was curious about the turbo guard. But at looking at everyone’s set up mine looks totally different. I have a jlt filter installed where the turbo guard would go. I just figured it was my cai. I had mine installed at Shelby killer performance. Would it be better if I removed the filter and just use the short one or just a guard?

IMG_1769.jpeg

Sponsored

Dyimon08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dyimon
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0 M6
That filter looks rough…

I’m looking at all these set ups cause I was curious about the turbo guard. But at looking at everyone’s set up mine looks totally different. I have a jlt filter installed where the turbo guard would go. I just figured it was my cai. I had mine installed at Shelby killer performance. Would it be better if I removed the filter and just use the short one or just a guard?

IMG_1769.jpeg

Marketplaza

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
It does but it only has about 3k miles on it. In about another 1k I’m going to clean and oil it. But can you see how my setup looks totally different than the OP. Would I get more hp if I removed it and went the way the op did?

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
If you're a racing team who needs every ounce and your car comes off a trailer, makes some passes and goes back into a hauler, then a guard makes sense.

If you're running a daily or a street car, take a look at your filter after several thousand miles. All that would have gone through your motor. If you're okay with that, then knock it out.

It's not obscure or hyperbole to tell you I've been on the highway NUMEROUS times when you have no choice but to drive through dust (like a construction crew doing concrete cutting) and your two choices are to stop on the highway or just drive through it.

Can people and do people run no filter? Sure. But I'm of the philosophy that you should build your motor and setup to make the power you want WITH a filter on it. I'm not risking an expensive built motor to make 30 more horsepower. And if I really want or need that 30 more horsepower, I'll run more boost to get it.

There's other aspects that find their way into this. I'm not interested in getting an additional 15-20 horsepower to ditch my A/C. And that won't hurt or wear my motor.

I'm all for mods that add power or performance but not at the expense or risk of gunk through my engine.

To each his own.

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
basically you would remove the plastic tube and filter, and you would put one of these on

this is our favorite as it is a larger diameter , its a turbo guard and velocity stack together

https://www.beefcakeracing.com/sb-turboscreen/

Marketplaza

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
If you're a racing team who needs every ounce and your car comes off a trailer, makes some passes and goes back into a hauler, then a guard makes sense.

If you're running a daily or a street car, take a look at your filter after several thousand miles. All that would have gone through your motor. If you're okay with that, then knock it out.

It's not obscure or hyperbole to tell you I've been on the highway NUMEROUS times when you have no choice but to drive through dust (like a construction crew doing concrete cutting) and your two choices are to stop on the highway or just drive through it.

Can people and do people run no filter? Sure. But I'm of the philosophy that you should build your motor and setup to make the power you want WITH a filter on it. I'm not risking an expensive built motor to make 30 more horsepower. And if I really want or need that 30 more horsepower, I'll run more boost to get it.

There's other aspects that find their way into this. I'm not interested in getting an additional 15-20 horsepower to ditch my A/C. And that won't hurt or wear my motor.

I'm all for mods that add power or performance but not at the expense or risk of gunk through my engine.

To each his own.
You have a point. I don’t daily drive it but I do drive it quite a bit. But I don’t have any desire to ruin my engine. Those things are expensive. Plus I have construction going on all over my city. But I’m not willing to sacrifice my ac either. I’m just going to add some headers and after I get my drive and half shafts done I’m gonna go e85 after I get a triple pump. I’m trying to get 850-950 and that should do it.
Sponsored