Sponsored

Where can I install crossover for lower door 6.5 speakers?

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
The crossover box is too large to fit in the door panel, I only need to use it for the lowest 6.5 in each door.

can I grab the 4 wires (2 wires per speaker) after the amp? If I could install the little crossovers under by the amp that would be nice.

I have factory eq disabled so full signal to all, but the tweeter and 3.5’s have capsictors so they are fine

I only used the 6.5 from my component set, sounds awesome it just rolls off the higher freq’s and I’d like to fix that.

any advice would be appreciated.

wouldnlove it if I could have them by the amp; and just cut wires and run them somewhere under left kick panel area
2C293A08-CB1A-4819-B53B-D8ED5AC2DC47.png
3FDBE048-E64C-4EBD-AF78-E13439008439.png
Sponsored

UserName

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 718 GT4
You can mount the crossovers anywhere you like and just run the wires to the speakers from there.

OP
OP
FreePenguin

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I wonder if all 4 wires leave the left foot well amp location

kind of thinking tossing both crossovers beside the stock car amp. Just grabbing signal near there

OP
OP
FreePenguin

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
1st and 5th row speaker line in this diagram, are these both the 6.5 door speakers? I notice the speakers between split off makes me think those are 3.5 and tweeters

If thats true, then all 4 of the wires for 2 speakers, go straight from amp, to speaker at the amp/clip right?
E0E2B657-A631-4EF1-9349-A0EC280E70EC.png

OP
OP
FreePenguin

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Edit this is 12 speaker diagram. Which sets of wires are the 6.5 woofers?
FE102C9B-6337-4712-A582-3F67648AC36F.jpeg

Sponsored

MegaG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson Mustang GT A10 Base
You probably already figured this out but this gives me an excuse to use my new manual. The 6.5" are the ones called Front Door Woofer, so C523 for the LH Door which corresponds to the wires at pins 2 & 10 in your diagram above, below is that connectors location. Wires at pins 6 & 14 for the RH Front Door Woofer...

upload_2020-2-18_8-33-37.png

OP
OP
FreePenguin

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
but what I understand is the tweeters tape off from the same speakers, or miss. so the box would affect both speakers vs 1. so I kind of gave up. nowhere to put them and im not running up and down car with wires, I like its sound anyway, just wanted it to be perfect is all.

MegaG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson Mustang GT A10 Base
Yes, I was specifically answering your question about the 6.5" woofer, as far as the crossover goes, I have not dealt with that, the new system I will be installing will be active so I have to run new speaker wire all the way to the tweeter for my install.

I know there's room in the passenger footwell for a crossover since that's were the Alpine subwoofer & 4 channel amp mounts but then you would need to wire from there. From this spot, the RH speakers wouldn't be tough. A lot depends on whether or not you are willing to cut/splice wires or want a harness type solution but even with the harness type, you have the tweeter to deal with.

I haven't seen the inside of your crossover but I recall seeing a thread where someone chopped up their crossover into three pieces (they had a 3 way set-up) wired it near the speakers and shrinked wrapped the crossover. Not sure there's room for this the A pillar

You could always just add a cap in the tweeter wiring, on the factory tweeter, the cap is on the tweeter itself as opposed to in the wiring path.

I am using a cap to protect my tweeter from blowing just in case my crossover at my Amp fails. The cheap way is to buy a cap from Parts-Express.

I actually went with these https://smile.amazon.com/AUDIOPIPE-...to+4+2+PCS&qid=1582051842&s=automotive&sr=1-1

PAC also makes bass blockers

What size you need is dependent on your tweeter's actual OHMS (Rh value or DC Resistance), my 6 OHM tweeter actually has an Rh of 5.2 OHMs so the items above will actually high pass at 2175 Hz which is below my AMPs crossover of 2500 Hz.

This video explains the capping a tweeter concept

Even though this is about protecting the tweeter in the event of a crossover failure, it can also be your crossover albeit a simple one with a shallow slope. Same thing can be done at the 6.5" if you want to limit the bass it sees.

Open up your crossover and post a picture of it, both sides.
Sponsored