Sponsored

New car time. What cars are you considering w/replacing your Mustang?

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I traded my GT350 for a C5 Z06 earlier in the year. I need to get back into another Mustang ASAP. On the bright side, owning the Corvette helped me realize how great the GT350 was.
Sponsored

vanquishvzla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 50th anniversary
I traded my GT350 for a C5 Z06 earlier in the year. I need to get back into another Mustang ASAP. On the bright side, owning the Corvette helped me realize how great the GT350 was.
try a c7 z06 with z07 package... you will realize the gt350 is just ok... can't compare it with a z06 from almost 20 years ago...

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
try a c7 z06 with z07 package... you will realize the gt350 is just ok... can't compare it with a z06 from almost 20 years ago...
The $$ are too much for a C7 Z06. Plus the reviews I've seen of it are terrible (for my use case). I'm not a street driving with only an occasional blast in a straight line type of person. I need a vehicle that is good on the road course. And several reviewers have said the chassis can't handle the power, it's twitchy, difficult to drive fast, etc. Also there have been a lot of issues with it overheating. No thanks.

I looked at a C7 Z51 or GS, but part of what I don't like on Corvettes are the cramped cockpit and the pushrod engines. I have to slouch to fit with a helmet in my C5 and the C7 is only worse in that regard. And the instant power that tails off as you wind out the engine - I don't really like that either.

I don't like that all C7s come with detachable roofs. Having my head basically touching it doesn't give me a lot of security as far as how safe the vehicle would be if I ever went off track.

When I go to the road course I'm not trying to win a prize or anything. Just having fun. Yes, certain Corvettes might be slightly faster than the GT350, but I prefer the GT350 or even a base Mustang GT over the Corvette on the road course.

Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of good things about Corvettes, but they are not for me.

vanquishvzla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The $$ are too much for a C7 Z06. Plus the reviews I've seen of it are terrible (for my use case). I'm not a street driving with only an occasional blast in a straight line type of person. I need a vehicle that is good on the road course. And several reviewers have said the chassis can't handle the power, it's twitchy, difficult to drive fast, etc. Also there have been a lot of issues with it overheating. No thanks.

I looked at a C7 Z51 or GS, but part of what I don't like on Corvettes are the cramped cockpit and the pushrod engines. I have to slouch to fit with a helmet in my C5 and the C7 is only worse in that regard. And the instant power that tails off as you wind out the engine - I don't really like that either.

I don't like that all C7s come with detachable roofs. Having my head basically touching it doesn't give me a lot of security as far as how safe the vehicle would be if I ever went off track.

When I go to the road course I'm not trying to win a prize or anything. Just having fun. Yes, certain Corvettes might be slightly faster than the GT350, but I prefer the GT350 or even a base Mustang GT over the Corvette on the road course.

Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of good things about Corvettes, but they are not for me.
understandable.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P

Yeah, if I were shopping a Corvette based on your "requirements", I'd seriously consider a C6Z07. The prices are reasonably decent, it's got a tasty NA engine in the LS7/427, that's a couple of bolt-ons away from 550HP, and a cam and some port work away from 600. They look good (I'd argue they look more focused, and less "pep boys" than a C7), the interior is reasonably modern, they have a great stance, room for lots of brake and tire - and per one of your reqs: a fixed roof.

It may still be a little cramped for your height, but everything else seems like it checks the right boxes.

Sponsored

bullitt2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Guard Green
Thinking a GT-R or Alfa 4C because of their track/autocross HPDE performance but not sure that either of those would be liveable as a daily as well.

Rover

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scotty
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT , Porsche Boxster S, BMW X5d, FORD Transit Diesel, 2500 Ram Diesel, Mazda CX5
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, if I were shopping a Corvette based on your "requirements", I'd seriously consider a C6Z07. The prices are reasonably decent, it's got a tasty NA engine in the LS7/427, that's a couple of bolt-ons away from 550HP, and a cam and some port work away from 600. They look good (I'd argue they look more focused, and less "pep boys" than a C7), the interior is reasonably modern, they have a great stance, room for lots of brake and tire - and per one of your reqs: a fixed roof.

It may still be a little cramped for your height, but everything else seems like it checks the right boxes.

Lets face it - Lots of makers offer a seriously fast car. Especially given the limits of street use. (cry) My brother just picked up a very hot F Type Jaguar, 3 yrs old 50% off MSRP.

Bald Menace

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Menace
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2 king Cobra
I've put 4000 miles on my 2018 in 2 years of ownership. this is my 4th new Mustang since 2011. thinking about taking a hard look at the Charger ScatPack.

Rover

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scotty
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT , Porsche Boxster S, BMW X5d, FORD Transit Diesel, 2500 Ram Diesel, Mazda CX5
Vehicle Showcase
I've put 4000 miles on my 2018 in 2 years of ownership. this is my 4th new Mustang since 2011. thinking about taking a hard look at the Charger ScatPack.
Just going by your avatar pic you'd look good in a Charger :crackup:

kinchy

Kinchy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium - Magnetic Black Accent -Manual Previous was 2016 GT Premium PP-Magnaflow -Short Throw Shifter
I purchased my 2016 Mustang GT brand new. 3 1/2 years and 75k miles later, I’ll be getting a new car in the next 4 months.

These are my two candidates.

2020 Camaro LT1 Convertible

upload_2019-9-25_12-11-24.jpeg

upload_2019-9-25_12-10-5.jpeg

2017 Mustang GT350 (low mileage - 10k miles)

upload_2019-9-25_12-13-39.jpeg

What vehicles are you considering with your next car purchase?
I'm 73 and put 3,500 miles on my 19 this year. At that rate its gonna last a long time.
The 4 Runner eats all the garbage miles.. maybe, just maybe there's a used GT350 out there that my change my destiny.

Sponsored

Medsport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Guard Premium GT automatic
IDK guys, I may look at another Mustang after all before I order a Scat Pack or SS. After watching a youtube review of the 10 speed, it does look like a pretty good performance bargain. I really wanted something different so I may check out a Ecoboost HHP with performance pack for the heck of it and a California Special. The interior looks awesome in the CS as I wanted something like the suede seat inserts and the red stitching and if I got the 401A package, the heated steering wheel. But you can't get the color I wanted (rapid red) so I would have to settle for either race red or velocity blue. On the exterior, I'm not really sure about that stripe on the side or the wheels, but other than that it looks better than a stock GT. With the options I would want it would be approaching 48k, ouch. Although the Camaro and Challenger I was considering are both in the same ballpark, they look to have better discounts and incentives at the moment though.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
Thinking a GT-R or Alfa 4C because of their track/autocross HPDE performance but not sure that either of those would be liveable as a daily as well.
The GTR is a pretty heavy car, so it isn't as nimble as I like. Visibility, gas mileage and storage are not great. But, aside from those things it's a fine daily driver and good highway cruiser. I have friend who has one, so we would swap cars on some weekends, just for a change of pace, when I had my Porsche. They hold their value very well.

vanquishvzla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
if you think a gtr is not going to perform well on a track because is heavy... you need to drive a gtr on a track so your brain can rewire itself on how something that feels so big and bulky, can be that fast and agile...

if you are gonna mod the shit out of the car, a cheap 2009, if you want the best of both worlds... comfort and performance, go for a 2013... now, if you want a nicer interior but not to concern about performance, +2017

the newer gtr are softer, less sharp than the old ones but a million times more comfortable for daily use and materials... but a couple minor suspension upgrades can fix the "less sharp" issue

2 bad things about a gtr for daily... the transmission is a little bit jerky when cold and the amount of male/fanboys attention you get...

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro

Good advice. Right now I'm thinking 2011-2014 Mustang GT or maybe a Boss. I really liked my 2011 Brembo GT I owned in the past and I don't mind the Fisher Price interior. If money were no object I would absolutely have another GT350. By far the GT350 is the best car for the money I've ever driven and I'd take it over some exotics.

New car time? The answer is always another Mustang. :like: