Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
19 F150 19 Explorer 04 Thunderbird
Yes I agree. Sure you can get aggressive, track dedicated cams for all out performance. But will they compromise street performance? I want cams that will retain stock road manners and not trigger a check engine light.
Im not sure you understand how much VCT really does on the coyotes. Would you want a big locked out cams? This has nothing to do with a check engine light..... LOL if it does find a different tuner!
Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Would you want a big locked out cams?
in the scheme of things, I don't know what different CAM profiles require vis-a-vis oil pressure to properly regulate the VCT. I expect most of the tuners don't have coyote v3 experience in any great amount so "lockout" is the default answer even if it's sub-optimal. Or maybe the profile is "so narrow" that if you throw VCT into the mix the performance is unpredictable. I wouldn't be surprised the profiles are generated from a very simplistic numerical model that assumes locked and has no provisions for VCT. Or by virtue of using higher for longer, if the VCT range is not constrained the meeting of metal parts is very probable.

NotagainV2

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
in the scheme of things, I don't know what different CAM profiles require vis-a-vis oil pressure to properly regulate the VCT. I expect most of the tuners don't have coyote v3 experience in any great amount so "lockout" is the default answer even if it's sub-optimal. Or maybe the profile is "so narrow" that if you throw VCT into the mix the performance is unpredictable. I wouldn't be surprised the profiles are generated from a very simplistic numerical model that assumes locked and has no provisions for VCT. Or by virtue of using higher for longer, if the VCT range is not constrained the meeting of metal parts is very probable.
All of what you just said sure sounds like a lot of guessing to me........

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
typically when shifting, you look at your peak power, and normally shift 2-300 after that, but, you have to see how the power line falls after word as well, on our 2011 car, our jt trim would peak about 7200 and then start falling off pretty good, so we would shift around 7500, when we went to the billet impeller, the car made just a tad more and still peaked about 7200, but... power would level out and hold close to peak power for about 700 rpms or so. with power holding til 7900 we were shifting at 8200. when we went to the gear drive we were shifting at 8800.

if you have 3 cars, all making 1000 wheel. 1 makes peak at 7000, one at 8000, 1 at 9000, all other things being equal, the car making power to 9000 would be the quickest car, because the "average" power is going to be higher and you will be staying in more of the power band.

thats why our 18 does so well with the centri, were doing a 2nd gear leave, 1.29 60' shifting at 7800 and coming in close to 7-7200 , the car just stays in the sweet spot

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
here is a little vid of our 18 with the comp stage 2s as well.

Sponsored

toplesstripcruiser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Race Red 50th Mustang GT vert, '03 yellow Evo
Im not sure you understand how much VCT really does on the coyotes. Would you want a big locked out cams? This has nothing to do with a check engine light..... LOL if it does find a different tuner!
I don’t think you understood my comment. I’m saying that sure you could definitely get bigger cams to make big power, but will it compromise street ability? I’d want cams that still utilize the VCT, have great manners, and will pass emission inspection. That’s what I meant by the check engine light. I’m sure really aggressive cams wouldn’t pass an emission test. I know you can tune, but not one that shuts off the O2 sensors. To me, that isn’t a real tune.

NotagainV2

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
I don’t think you understood my comment. I’m saying that sure you could definitely get bigger cams to make big power, but will it compromise street ability? I’d want cams that still utilize the VCT, have great manners, and will pass emission inspection. That’s what I meant by the check engine light. I’m sure really aggressive cams wouldn’t pass an emission test. I know you can tune, but not one that shuts off the O2 sensors. To me, that isn’t a real tune.
Whats your definition of aggressive? Big cams will require being locked out.

revinto7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 shelby-gt 14 camaro SS 1LE
Yes I agree. Sure you can get aggressive, track dedicated cams for all out performance. But will they compromise street performance? I want cams that will retain stock road manners and not trigger a check engine light.
i had huge cams in a lot of my cars including my 3v just.tune it right and i never an issue with drivability or gas mileage either , 730/530 vortech and cams hp 3v 26mpg hwy
624/624 cam in my ls3 with paxton and meth 22.5mpg hwy 801/646

Sponsored

drive_55_not

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Coyote, S197 3v, 2018 Gen3 [RIP], 2020 Challenger 'Cat
What's the rest of the specs on that LS3 cam? .624 lift on an 376 cube LS is not exactly earth shattering.

Unless I'm in an alternate universe,, Not sure why he's comparing a pushrod LS to the Yote, Especially the GEN3 ...

If somebody wants a mungo lift cam with more duration and reqires changing valve springs, You don't have to buy a catalog cam ... Just pick up the phone and call Comp,, Bullet,, Lunati or Mike at L&M Engines and have them cut a profile for whatever you want.

NotagainV2

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
Because "most" people still dont comprehend how much VCT is capable of. Therefor massive cams are not necessary in a DOHC engine.