VMP Loki Kit $6999

schmeky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Just curious if you still have grind on the block for the 2018+ models like you did for the 17's and earlier to fit the Roush?
Sponsored

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)
Just curious if you still have grind on the block for the 2018+ models like you did for the 17's and earlier to fit the Roush?
I have read the instructions and I don't see anything about that but I will not be doing the installation.

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
Yes, you do.
See page 25 in the pdf file.
Untitled.jpg

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
Well, yep, it needs ground down. Not sure how did I missed that....

OP
OP
Stymee

Stymee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Ngauge is the device of choice by VMP. I use the Ngauge for loading my tunes and datalogging.
Well they (VMP) wanted me to use a SCT and not a Ngauge if I bought a Loki kit?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Stymee

Stymee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I don’t see how this will be done by March 27 unless the Roush Phase II is on the shelf and ready to ship.

If I have the kit in 2 weeks it takes the dealer 2-3 from start to finish

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
Well they (VMP) wanted me to use a SCT and not a Ngauge if I bought a Loki kit?
Their website seems to indicate that SCT is used on 2018+ models to tune the Roush. That makes no sense to me.

schmeky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
All that alum dust in the manifold valley and everywhere else is what kept me from considering the Roush in the past. Thanks for the response.

OP
OP
Stymee

Stymee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Their website seems to indicate that SCT is used on 2018+ models to tune the Roush. That makes no sense to me.

They told me that too, I asked
All that alum dust in the manifold valley and everywhere else is what kept me from considering the Roush in the past. Thanks for the response.

Like I said, VMP told me a SCT device for the Loki kit, that was through a on line chat. Now was the gentleman incorrect, can u get a Ngauge to tune it, search me I’m just telling u what VMP told me on the Loki

I want a Ngauge to data log the Roush, a HP tuners Ngauge I believe will log a Roush?

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
...Ford and Roush are attached at the hip ... I don't know how much boost they generate but apparently Ford is not concerned about failures...Ford's decisions tell me a little more. It tells me that Ford customers have 2 good choices for a street friendly, comfortable, nicely equipped performance vehicle..
I don't think the Ford-Roush relationship works like that. Ford isn't paying for drivetrain warranty work once a Roush supercharger is installed. Ford may be performing the work, but Roush (or their underwriter) is paying them to do it. You have to file the warranty claim with Roush (though your Ford dealership might be courteous enough to do this step for you). Ford doesn't sell the Roush vehicle as a Ford-branded product and it doesn't go through the OEM engineering and testing process as a Ford performance vehicle would. If you look up the fuel economy numbers, the Roush supercharged vehicles fall under Roush Performance, not Ford. Ford dealerships also sell the Shelby Supersnake, which includes the Whipple supercharger and a 3 yr 36k warranty, but I wouldn't consider them to be same business entity either. Roush did pull the genius move of integrating into the dealerships and making warranty work more seamless from the customer's perspective, and they deserve credit for that.

...also port only......I would assume the DI is helping us get away with a little more, ....
This is true. GDI usually allows you to run about 1 full compression number higher than PFI. Consider that the highest compression OEM boosted PFI engine I can find is 9.5/1 (Predator, Hellcat, etc), but the highest GDI is 11/1 (BMW B58) and Honda 1.5T (10.6/1). NA is pretty much same, with the PFI Voodoo running 12/1 and Mazda going 13/1 with GDI, and the Mazda is designed for 87 octane. I believe Ford didn't put GDI on the Predator simply because they didn't need to in order to reach the power, fuel economy, and emissions goals.

....even more so on the 2650tvs vs 3.0l at same peak boost levels your looking at 70ftlbs or so more torque for same HP.....
I'd love to see this actually tested. Problem is, the 2650 kits are all spinning them faster and making more boost than the Whipple (with the supplied pulleys). Whipple Stage 1 is 9 psi, Stage 2 is 11, Roush is 12, Edelbrock Stage 1 is 13, and Stage 2 is 16. I've done the math and it is true that all of the 2650 kits are trying to cram more air in than even the Whipple Stage 2. To get the same ACFM airflow, the Whipple would have to drop down from 3.875 (Stage 2) to a 3.55 pulley. I'll be very interested to see what pulley the Loki kit comes with for comparison, as the boost level could be a bit misleading due to restriction in the stock TB and airbox/filter.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Stymee

Stymee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I don't think the Ford-Roush relationship works like that. Ford isn't paying for drivetrain warranty work once a Roush supercharger is installed. Ford may be performing the work, but Roush (or their underwriter) is paying them to do it. You have to file the warranty claim with Roush (though your Ford dealership might be courteous enough to do this step for you). Ford doesn't sell the Roush vehicle as a Ford-branded product and it doesn't go through the OEM engineering and testing process as a Ford performance vehicle would. If you look up the fuel economy numbers, the Roush supercharged vehicles fall under Roush Performance, not Ford. Ford dealerships also sell the Shelby Supersnake, which includes the Whipple supercharger and a 3 yr 36k warranty, but I wouldn't consider them to be same business entity either. Roush did pull the genius move of integrating into the dealerships and making warranty work more seamless from the customer's perspective, and they deserve credit for that.

This is true. GDI usually allows you to run about 1 full compression number higher than PFI. Consider that the highest compression OEM boosted PFI engine I can find is 9.5/1 (Predator, Hellcat, etc), but the highest GDI is 11/1 (BMW B58) and Honda 1.5T (10.6/1). NA is pretty much same, with the PFI Voodoo running 12/1 and Mazda going 13/1 with GDI, and the Mazda is designed for 87 octane. I believe Ford didn't put GDI on the Predator simply because they didn't need to in order to reach the power, fuel economy, and emissions goals.

I'd love to see this actually tested. Problem is, the 2650 kits are all spinning them faster and making more boost than the Whipple (with the supplied pulleys). Whipple Stage 1 is 9 psi, Stage 2 is 11, Roush is 12, Edelbrock Stage 1 is 13, and Stage 2 is 16. I've done the math and it is true that all of the 2650 kits are trying to cram more air in than even the Whipple Stage 2. To get the same ACFM airflow, the Whipple would have to drop down from 3.875 (Stage 2) to a 3.55 pulley. I'll be very interested to see what pulley the Loki kit comes with for comparison, as the boost level could be a bit misleading due to restriction in the stock TB and airbox/filter.

EB 1 is 11
EB 2 is 13
ROUSH is 12

But u also have to rev a Whipple plus the cooling isn’t as good as a EB, but Whipple's make BIG POWER when u set them up correctly

EvolutionX car speaks for itself
Whipple S1 on 93 (PBD Tune)

Car went 10.35@136

Botton line u pick what u like, then live with it

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
My reference to Ford and Roush being affiliated has nothing to do with who pays warranty bills. The Roush system is a joint effort between Roush and Ford Performance. Both names are on it and Ford dealers sell the cars and kits.

Does the Shelby Super Snake retain the 12:1 compression or is it reduced like the GT500?

Last edited:

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
If I have the kit in 2 weeks it takes the dealer 2-3 from start to finish

I placed my order on the 6th and it is scheduled for delivery on Wednesday, the 19th.

Meatball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT
If I understand this stuff correctly, which I may not, boost is a major factor obviously but max cyl pressure is also a function of spark timing and definitely cam phasing (which can alter effective compression ratio) for a vvt engine, both of which are controlled in the tune and are likely different between the different sc vendors in their canned tunes at a given rpm. It may be hard to compare kits by boost level alone. Some vendors may be more aggressive with cam/spark at different rpms than others...

The sc system is just supplying pressurized air at a certain temperature to the intake ports, post-port it's all about the tune. So for a typical boost level, I think it would be interesting to see how much power the different sc systems consume and what iat2s they deliver as a function of rpm. THAT would make a good comparison. I'm sure the vendors all have this at least for their own systems but we'll never see it....It's still unclear to me what rpm ranges a roots is inherently better and what range a ts is...

OP
OP
Stymee

Stymee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I placed my order on the 6th and it is scheduled for delivery on Wednesday, the 19th.

If I order it this coming week I’d hope to have it March 10th, the rentals the end of March.

My Dealer could knock it out in 2-3 days
Sponsored