2016 With Track Pack or 2017?

WF_GT350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2007 GT500
I was looking at a 2016 GT350 with a track pack $8000 add on (saw the window sticker) and a 2017. The 2017 doesnt list the track pack on the window sticker. I wanted the diff and trans coolers. I heard something about the 2017's having them by default is this true?
Sponsored

OP
OP

WF_GT350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2007 GT500
Yes 2017s have all coolers
Awesome! So essentially the 2017 is the same as the 2016 with track pack addon? Is there any other differences? I was told the tech pack is good because changing the exhaust is a pain with the cluster and wheel.

Tribefan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Awesome! So essentially the 2017 is the same as the 2016 with track pack addon? Is there any other differences? I was told the tech pack is good because changing the exhaust is a pain with the cluster and wheel.
You are correct in that the 2017's basically have the track pack standard on them. Pre-2017, you had to choose between base, tech or track. Starting in 2017, you got the track pack standard and could now add the electronics package to it as well. Before 2017 you couldn't have both. The MSRP went up a bit for 2017 to account for the track pack stuff being standard. Not sure if there's really any difference between a 2016 track pack vs a 2017 "base" model, other than some color differences and Apple Car Play being standard on the 2017+. For the 2016's you had to swap out the USB hub in the console and do a software update to get Car Play to work.

OP
OP

WF_GT350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2007 GT500
You are correct in that the 2017's basically have the track pack standard on them. Pre-2017, you had to choose between base, tech or track. Starting in 2017, you got the track pack standard and could now add the electronics package to it as well. Before 2017 you couldn't have both. The MSRP went up a bit for 2017 to account for the track pack stuff being standard. Not sure if there's really any difference between a 2016 track pack vs a 2017 "base" model, other than some color differences and Apple Car Play being standard on the 2017+. For the 2016's you had to swap out the USB hub in the console and do a software update to get Car Play to work.
Thanks bro! Can you point me in the right direction to get the USB hub and who does the software update? I love the deal I found on the track pack 2016 but car play is a big thing for me.

Sponsored

Tribefan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Thanks bro! Can you point me in the right direction to get the USB hub and who does the software update? I love the deal I found on the track pack 2016 but car play is a big thing for me.
No problem. Take a look in the S550 General Forums. When I had my 16 GT PP, that's where I came across the info. I don't have the part number handy as this was over 2 years ago, and the download is somewhere on the Ford website. There was a thread that had the details in it as to how to do the Carplay upgrade on the 16's.

Deleted member 37397

Part number for the usb hub you replace inside the console. HU5Z19A387A
Then You go to owner.ford.com and download the update. im not sure this works on the small radio, you might need to get the bigger radio. These guys have a full kit to do this. Bear in mind it’s easier to swap a radio into a track pack than adding transmission coolers to a tech pack car from 2016. Here’s the link to do that if you’re up for it. I think the usb hub I mentioned comes in this kit. https://hellhorseperformance.com/co...ustang-4-to-8-touchscreen-conversion-w-sync-3

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Part number for the usb hub you replace inside the console. HU5Z19A387A
Then You go to owner.ford.com and download the update. im not sure this works on the small radio, you might need to get the bigger radio. These guys have a full kit to do this. Bear in mind it’s easier to swap a radio into a track pack than adding transmission coolers to a tech pack car from 2016. Here’s the link to do that if you’re up for it. I think the usb hub I mentioned comes in this kit. https://hellhorseperformance.com/co...ustang-4-to-8-touchscreen-conversion-w-sync-3
I almost bought this kit for my 2016 track pack, but then I decided to upgrade to an R and never got it. It seems to have good reviews.

Now fast forward to my R which has all the bit and pieces added to it, including big screen (sync 3). Sync 3 is good but to be honest, but it's not that great...
GPS still does not do as well as google maps, and music sounds horrible until you start upgrading some speakers... and there is the tire noise from the sport cup 2's.. especially when a bit worn from track days.

Now that I see and have it, I would not upgrade from the default track pack radio to be honest...

Deleted member 37397

I almost bought this kit for my 2016 track pack, but then I decided to upgrade to an R and never got it. It seems to have good reviews.

Now fast forward to my R which has all the bit and pieces added to it, including big screen (sync 3). Sync 3 is good but to be honest, but it's not that great...
GPS still does not do as well as google maps, and music sounds horrible until you start upgrading some speakers... and there is the tire noise from the sport cup 2's.. especially when a bit worn from track days.

Now that I see and have it, I would not upgrade from the default track pack radio to be honest...
Yeah I agree, radio does suck. I haven’t really researched any other speakers. I probably will leave it as is though

dg108

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
Google maps through Android Auto/Apple carplay fixes the nav issue.

Sponsored

16Kobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
No problem. Take a look in the S550 General Forums. When I had my 16 GT PP, that's where I came across the info. I don't have the part number handy as this was over 2 years ago, and the download is somewhere on the Ford website. There was a thread that had the details in it as to how to do the Carplay upgrade on the 16's.
My 2016 GT350 had the car play in it from the day I purchased.

Tribefan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Yes the use of Apple Maps, Google Maps or Waze are definitely an improvement over the factory nav. I can count on one hand and have fingers left over for the number of times I've used the factory nav in my car going on two years of ownership. Apple Maps latest updates make it even better than before. Love some of the notification features Waze has though.

The comment above was correct in that you can only get CarPlay on the touchscreen Sync 3 sytems, not the small display with all the buttons around it.

It's possible that late-run 2016's might have gotten the updates that the 2017+'s came with to allow Carplay use out of the box.

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, but then Android Auto (no, I am not an Iphone user) does not work over bluetooth, so I need to plug in my phone to get waze and what not on the big screen. Which means I have to put my phone *somewhere* in the car ? Well, if I have it out, I won't lose time fiddling with the phone AND the car's system, I'll just punch in my destination and off I go with my phone.
The only thing I found it useful is music playing over bluetooth, which works well. If you can stand the horrible sound quality... I mean just horrific. My 12 year old BMW has Logic 7 and is a breath of fresh air when I get into it...
And no, the "upgraded" audio version in the shelby gt350 with a sub in the boot, still sounds bad. I played with one in a dealership...
Sponsored