Sponsored

Backup Camera TSB help

dark321devil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang
I have a 2017 Ecoboost premium convertible. I have been having an issue with the backup camera. The dealer stated this is related to the TSB 18-2362 and ordered the part FR3Z-14a411-y accordingly. This was on backorder. After about a month the part came in and i dropped off the car. That was 2 weeks ago.

The connector did not fit and the dealer thought the part they were sent was wrong and reordered it expedited. A week later it came in again the same as the first one. They have now been going back and forth with Ford on how to fix this issue.

I can't imagine that my car is the first one to have this TSB done. Anyone have experience with this? Really want my car back at this point.
Sponsored

300mag

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Prem Vert
I have a 2017 Ecoboost premium convertible. I have been having an issue with the backup camera. The dealer stated this is related to the TSB 18-2362 and ordered the part FR3Z-14a411-y accordingly. This was on backorder. After about a month the part came in and i dropped off the car. That was 2 weeks ago.

The connector did not fit and the dealer thought the part they were sent was wrong and reordered it expedited. A week later it came in again the same as the first one. They have now been going back and forth with Ford on how to fix this issue.

I can't imagine that my car is the first one to have this TSB done. Anyone have experience with this? Really want my car back at this point.
I didn't have the tsb performed but not sure what there talking about. The TSB calls for cutting out damaged section of harness and splicing in new section from the harness ordered. perhaps they are trying to replacing the harness instead of reading the TSB.

Attachments

ryant601

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT - Black Accent Package
Just curious, but if one were to buy this harness, how hard is it to replace the whole thing with the replacement rather than cutting and splicing? I realize it'd be tight again, but at least it's all new wiring.

300mag

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Prem Vert
Just curious, but if one were to buy this harness, how hard is it to replace the whole thing with the replacement rather than cutting and splicing? I realize it'd be tight again, but at least it's all new wiring.
Sorry, not sure how deep this harness goes but I suspect it may be part of the main cabin harness. I will say this as I work for cable and harness manufacturer. There is nothing wrong with splicing when done correctly. Splicing is IPC approved and believe it not cable/wire manufacturers actually have splices on some primary wires inside. I know it can sometimes not be as pretty or bulky but by offsetting the splices you cure this issue as well as giving you the extra slack needed.

ryant601

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT - Black Accent Package
Sorry, not sure how deep this harness goes but I suspect it may be part of the main cabin harness. I will say this as I work for cable and harness manufacturer. There is nothing wrong with splicing when done correctly. Splicing is IPC approved and believe it not cable/wire manufacturers actually have splices on some primary wires inside. I know it can sometimes not be as pretty or bulky but by offsetting the splices you cure this issue as well as giving you the extra slack needed.

My main hesitation is that I've never really done it, I guess I'd just cut out a piece of this harness - line up the wiring and twist them together with some sort of covering?

Sponsored

300mag

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Prem Vert
My main hesitation is that I've never really done it, I guess I'd just cut out a piece of this harness - line up the wiring and twist them together with some sort of covering?
few different splice methods but I would use simple lap splice and solder and each wire and cover with heat shrink, then wrap entire bundle with cloth electrical tape for oem look. Picture below gives idea of simple lap splice and 2nd pic gives you example of offsetting the wires.
wpbec5aef9_06.png

Ulm's 'Stang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
All black 2016 Mustang Ecoboost Premium convertible
The BIG problem is attempting to splice the small coax cable that goes to the GPS/satellite radio antenna. I have yet to find a way to successfully do this.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
You don't splice those, you adapt and extend and accept the associated losses or start again.
There's always fiber optic..but that's another subject.

Ulm's 'Stang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
All black 2016 Mustang Ecoboost Premium convertible
Adapt and extend? The coax was broken when we bought the car used. Someone had previously attempted to "splice" it via a standard crimp butt connector. I stripped it back & cleaned it up & soldered & used heat shrink tubing. But there's no signal coming through.

I'm totally open to suggestions. I've been trying to find terminal connections, but no luck so far.
Sponsored