No remote start on manual 2019?

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Regarding your horse or walking comment, it's apples to oranges. Cars have helped us become more efficient in our daily lives. Less commute time, the ability to haul lots of people, the ability to commute in dangerous conditions. Have all these creature comforts caused you to become more efficient or more lazy? Heated seats? Sure, they are nice. Do they help you to get to work faster? Absolutely not. Blindside monitoring? Yes, a computer to do work for you. Is it nice to have? I wouldn't know, never had a vehicle with them. Do they handicap people? Absolutely! Makes people lazy and gives people a false sense of confidence. My argument above wasn't the fact that people shouldn't have nice things in life, but more so people relying on all these things when they shouldn't. A lot of people in this country and others can't drive anymore because they rely on all these computers and sensors to tell them what to do. The modern car is too busy and distracting.
Efficiency isn't everything. The little things that make life nicer and more comfortable are also important.
If being efficient were my sole purpose in life, I would buy a Prius, not a Mustang. Or better still, I would use public transport.

I do agree with you when it comes to the excess of 'safety' features - hence my query on the other thread about disabling the collision alert system. If you could help me with that I would really appreciate it. :D

And I bet they didn't whine nearly as much about what they didn't have as people today do when they don't feel sufficiently catered to.
That's because there was no internet back then. :D

Going back to remote starters, I know there are third party alarms that have a remote start feature even with manual gearboxes. So it definitely is possible. But I don't want that. Hacking a factory software to activate a hidden (factory) feature is one thing. Piggybacking an external device is another, and I'm really not keen on that.
Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Efficiency isn't everything. The little things that make life nicer and more comfortable are also important.
If being efficient were my sole purpose in life, I would buy a Prius, not a Mustang. Or better still, I would use public transport.
Like Ebm said, people have been increasingly distorting 'want' all the way into some level of 'need'. A "why bother to do anything yourself if you can have it done for you" outlook on life that places no value on doing things for yourself.

That's because there was no internet back then.
Whining doesn't need the internet to happen, though I suppose the Internet does encourage more of it. That still doesn't make it an attractive human trait, though.

What I do remember from the 1950's and 1960's (first-hand, BTW) is that people just sucked it up and dealt with whatever it was. With maybe a cuss word or two muttered under their breath along the way, and forgotten by the time the task was completed. Ice-locked doors? Figure out a way to break through it and get on with your day was the way it worked back then. Oh yeah . . . I guess that means you need to have a sense of self-reliance.

Sure, I'd grumble a bit if I woke up tomorrow to find a foot of snow had fallen overnight. But that wouldn't get the snow shoveled, so I'd just get out there and get it done. Would I rather be doing something else? Probably. But what I might want to do would have to wait until what I had to do got done. It's an attitude thing.

Going back to remote starters, I know there are third party alarms that have a remote start feature even with manual gearboxes. So it definitely is possible. But I don't want that. Hacking a factory software to activate a hidden (factory) feature is one thing. Piggybacking an external device is another, and I'm really not keen on that.
Sounds like you should be the guy pushing for a Park position in MTs rather than me. I'm only looking for a legitimate solution here; people like you are the ones who'd benefit from it.

Norm

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Like Ebm said, people have been increasingly distorting 'want' all the way into some level of 'need'. A "why bother to do anything yourself if you can have it done for you" outlook on life that places no value on doing things for yourself.
I never said I needed the remote start. I can (and will) live without it. But it would be nice to have.
I will miss the heated windscreen much more than I'll miss the remote start.

Sounds like you should be the guy pushing for a Park position in MTs rather than me. I'm only looking for a legitimate solution here; people like you are the ones who'd benefit from it.
I don't want a Park position with a manual transmission. I like the manual transmission as it is.
All I want is for manufacturers to stop treating me as if I were an imbecile. But sadly, that's never going to happen.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I never said I needed the remote start. But it would be nice to have.
You may have not said it specifically, but it's sure coming across as more than just something that sounds like it might be a neat feature.

I did say 'people', too. Meant much more generally rather than individually, but if the shoe fits . . .

Norm

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Yeah, maybe, because currently I can manage in freezing rain by scraping around the door with a scraper and ultimately pulling the door open by sheer force - something I won't be able to do with a frameless door. Will it be the end of the world? No, of course not. I will use my wife's SUV for one or two days, or will take a cab.
It's not the lack of a remote start feature that annoys me. Not having this option at all on any Mustang would be fine with me. What I find annoying is not having it just because some bureaucrat decided to cover his ass by treating me as if I were stupid.

Last edited:

Sponsored

99Zeus99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Performance Pack Whipple Stage 1 Manual
Apparently the new base model’s don’t get it either...
Jumper the switch on the clutch pedal, leave it in neutral with the ebrake on and program the remote start yourself. Worked for my bro until he forgot to take the car out of gear, remote started it into a tree in his yard. I don't drive my car below 32 degrees so remote start is useless to me.

99Zeus99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Yes, I can't fathom any manufacturer would accept the liability of providing a factory remote start for a manual car.

That said, as some others stated, I believe there are some aftermarket remote starts that are specifically designed for manual cars and include the necessary safeguards to make sure your car doesn't accidentally end up running through a brick wall, or into a pool. I've never personally had one but a good friend that used to work in the car stereo industry explained it to me and if I recall, it works something like this:

- You would get to your destination and park your car but leave it running.
- Ensure that the car is in neutral and pull the parking brake.
- With the car still running, you would open the door and get out.
- As soon as you shut the door, the car would automatically shut-off and lock the doors.

At this point, it's ready to be remotely started because it "knows" that the car is safely in neutral since you wouldn't have been able to get out and close the door with it running while it was in gear. I believe that, if for some reason you had to open the door without starting the car (forgot your cell phone or sunglasses or whatever) it would cancel the remote start capability to avoid the possibility of the transmission being put into gear.

I should mention that this was all explained to me years ago, before keyless engine start was a thing so I'm not exactly sure how things might be different nowadays.
Didn't help the Star Trek actor with his Jeep. Automatic trans crushed him into his own gate. Auto trans is no guarantee of safety, the operator is.

99Zeus99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
I never said I needed the remote start. I can (and will) live without it. But it would be nice to have.
I will miss the heated windscreen much more than I'll miss the remote start.

I don't want a Park position with a manual transmission. I like the manual transmission as it is.
All I want is for manufacturers to stop treating me as if I were an imbecile. But sadly, that's never going to happen.

Don't take it personal. They don't think YOU are stupid, just the majority and they are correct unfortunately.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
You're right, of course. Somehow I do manage sometimes to sound bit more vehement than I actually mean. Sorry about that. :)

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Yeah, maybe, because currently I can manage in freezing rain by scraping around the door with a scraper and ultimately pulling the door open by sheer force - something I won't be able to do with a frameless door.
Trust me, with a little care, you can still break the ice enough to open the door without undue difficulty. It might take the same few minutes as letting the remote-started engine idle - or you might even be able to get it done a little quicker doing the job yourself. My '08 has frameless side glass, too.

What I find annoying is not having it just because some bureaucrat decided to cover his ass by treating me as if I were stupid.
Automakers have to design for the truly lowest-common-denominator owners among us. And it's damn near impossible to underestimate where the level of stupidity stops while still being sufficient to actually support life.

Norm

Reactions: Ebm

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Automakers have to design for the truly lowest-common-denominator owners among us. And it's damn near impossible to underestimate where the level of stupidity stops while still being sufficient to actually support life.
:crackup::cwl::crackup::cwl: My vote for best quote of the day!!

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Indeed. I may have exaggerated a bit. Sorry about that. :blush:

Trust me, with a little care, you can still break the ice enough to open the door without undue difficulty. It might take the same few minutes as letting the remote-started engine idle - or you might even be able to get it done a little quicker doing the job yourself. My '08 has frameless side glass, too.
What I'm afraid of is that merely trying to open the door will make the window want to go down a bit, to clear the rubber seal. And not being able to move because of the ice might burn out the motor. I would be very reluctant to try and open the door as long as there was any amount of ice on the window. Am I worrying for nothing? Would it be OK?

Reactions: Ebm

99Zeus99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
On my F150, when it's icy I smack my fist around the door frame before opening to break the ice. Otherwise it pulls the seal away from the body. Stupid design.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Hahaha, I just remote started my car from upstairs, wanted it to warm up before we took a little cruise (to one of our favorite restaurants here in town).

Could I have walked down the stairs, into the garage, hopped in, started it and headed back upstairs to finish up? Sure.

Am I lazy? Well yeah - but I was up early this morning doing an ~800 calorie HIIT workout, so I figured I got my exercise in today :D
Sponsored