Sponsored

Honestly, who prefers the GT 5.0 over GT350?

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Shelby’s are and weren’t ever meant to be high number production vehicles. If you are going to base everything purely on a track time, you’ve completely missed the point. What you think is best and may appeal to you is most likely 180 degrees from what I think. Curious, have you driven a new C8? What are you basing your opinion on? I got lucky and got to drive one, absolutely beautiful car. It’s a different animal then my 350. The reality is very few people can put any of these cars on the edge of their performance. If it’s truly just about a number I’m not going to bother with one my cars. I’ll just get on my Aprillia. If you truly think the days are numbered for Shelby, Then they’re numbered for all cars of this type. if you want to see the true measure of what we all on here enjoy so much, take a look at the aftermarket industry. It is absolutely massive. These cars aren’t going any where. Also, be glad there’s more then one flavor to chose from.
No, I haven't driven a C8. C7 once, and even then it was in fact as you say, a different animal. The C8 appears to be even better. That's kind of my point though. The fit and finish of the C8 compared to the Shelby is a whole different universe. Don't get me wrong, Shelby's are really cool machines, but if I was to throw down that kind of investment, it wouldn't be in a raucous version of a $20,000 rental car. I know that's insulting, but I do have to say, it's amazing what Ford has able to do with this platform. They did an awful lot from starting with just a little.
Sponsored

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
Lol. If you think a Shelby is a raucous version of a rental car, there’s not much else to discuss. I’ll leave alone your making comparisons to a car, you’ve never driven nor been in. I’ve never had the desire to sit around and compare reviews of cars, I’d rather go experience them in real life.

No, I haven't driven a C8. C7 once, and even then it was in fact as you say, a different animal. The C8 appears to be even better. That's kind of my point though. The fit and finish of the C8 compared to the Shelby is a whole different universe. Don't get me wrong, Shelby's are really cool machines, but if I was to throw down that kind of investment, it wouldn't be in a raucous version of a $20,000 rental car. I know that's insulting, but I do have to say, it's amazing what Ford has able to do with this platform. They did an awful lot from starting with just a little.

99Zeus99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Performance Pack Whipple Stage 1 Manual
Shelby is just a name brand to me anymore. The stripes are way overdone, the name on every stupid thing, overdone. It's overpriced bling and if you asked Carroll himself, the last real Shelby that wasn't Ford marketing hype was 1966. He's passed on and they continue to rape people of their cash for the name. He was a great racer, bullshiter and car builder but without Pete Brock and the others, nobody including Ford would have ever put his name on anything but BBQ sauce. No offense to Carroll, his family or the state of TX but people deify too many guys like him without his asking for it.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Shelby is just a name brand to me anymore. The stripes are way overdone, the name on every stupid thing, overdone. It's overpriced bling and if you asked Carroll himself, the last real Shelby that wasn't Ford marketing hype was 1966. He's passed on and they continue to rape people of their cash for the name. He was a great racer, bullshiter and car builder but without Pete Brock and the others, nobody including Ford would have ever put his name on anything but BBQ sauce. No offense to Carroll, his family or the state of TX but people deify too many guys like him without his asking for it.
Disagree with everything you said. I don't know about the GT500, but the GT350 is a huge difference from the regular GT. Not just a name - everything about it is awesome in my opinion.

Stripes are optional. I didn't have them on my GT350.

Shelby quote - I don't design cars. I'm not a designer. I know what I desire to be built, I know what the end result is, the horsepower, the competition we'll be working against - but I leave it to the people who work with me to put it all together. I don't do anything.

Sponsored

Dmk08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 M3
Why is this thread still going?????
Just like you're going to always get those who believe the world is flat, you're going to get those who believe a run-of-the-mill 5.0 is better than the pure sensory overload of a GT350.
As someone who has owned 4 E92 M3s (which I consider a baby S550 at this point; High revving V8 but only 420hp) I think the "special" factor of cars like an M3 or GT350 is the most overrated factor of a car. Sure the M3s were great at 8400rpm but how often can you wind it out on the street like that? Day to day I bet a GT is more fun.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for your online diagnosis.
It's the truth guy. This ain't no 1960's slick shift tranny. If you don't know what that is, google it.

99Zeus99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Disagree with everything you said. I don't know about the GT500, but the GT350 is a huge difference from the regular GT. Not just a name - everything about it is awesome in my opinion.

Stripes are optional. I didn't have them on my GT350.

Shelby quote - I don't design cars. I'm not a designer. I know what I desire to be built, I know what the end result is, the horsepower, the competition we'll be working against - but I leave it to the people who work with me to put it all together. I don't do anything.
Your opinion is as valid as mine, just the way I see it. I would like to see my PP1 Whipple charged car around the track with a GT350 and compare but likely won't anytime soon. It's first track time will be in May most likely. If I obtain any usable data I will be sure to post it.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Your opinion is as valid as mine, just the way I see it. I would like to see my PP1 Whipple charged car around the track with a GT350 and compare but likely won't anytime soon. It's first track time will be in May most likely. If I obtain any usable data I will be sure to post it.
Not sure why you think this is on topic, but I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on how the whipple works. What I loved the most about the GT350 on track (once I added coolers to my tech pack car) was how well it held up all day consistently lap after lap. Second was how nice it was to have a car that was quick on track using all stock setup where I could get in and drive home while others were loading their cars onto trailers. Ford did mess up the 2015/2016 tech packs leaving coolers off, but other than that they were great.

My expectation is you will be faster on the straights lap 1, then your car will heat soak and slow down. Your transmission, rear diff and brakes will also get hot. And the GT350 will be quicker on corners from lap one continuing all day. That is what I saw with most power adder cars like older GT500s and Z06s.

Sponsored

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
Sure the M3s were great at 8400rpm but how often can you wind it out on the street like that? Day to day I bet a GT is more fun.
Sounds like a Mazda Miata would suit you best.

Dmk08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 M3
Sounds like a Mazda Miata would suit you best.
Not sure how you gather that. I think it would be the opposite.

To me a Miata, S2000, M3, GT350, etc.. are the same type of "Drivers Car" people.

*shrug*

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Not sure why you think this is on topic, but I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on how the whipple works. What I loved the most about the GT350 on track (once I added coolers to my tech pack car) was how well it held up all day consistently lap after lap. Second was how nice it was to have a car that was quick on track using all stock setup where I could get in and drive home while others were loading their cars onto trailers. Ford did mess up the 2015/2016 tech packs leaving coolers off, but other than that they were great.

My expectation is you will be faster on the straights lap 1, then your car will heat soak and slow down. Your transmission, rear diff and brakes will also get hot. And the GT350 will be quicker on corners from lap one continuing all day. That is what I saw with most power adder cars like older GT500s and Z06s.
On this you are correct. Blowers with no other upgrades, are great for short distances, but much more is needed for track use. There is a reason the GT500 went with an Edelbrock 2.7L. The slightly smaller design is I believe a little lighter than Whipple, but also the cooling is a factor when sustaining higher power on a track. IAT with a Whipple after a couple laps may start to go through the roof.

To handle the Temps, the GT500 had to redesign the front radiator and intercooler air flow with the larger radiator as well. They didn't design the front bumper/fascia like that just to look cool. They also added the little side scoops and larger splitter to keep the nose on the ground and help air flow around the outside of the wheel to draw more air through the brakes. It looks neat, but has a lot more to do with functional necessity for track use. I believe they even added some extra hood latches for high speed, since the hood vibrates badly over 160mph.
A regular GT with a blower, but no other upgrades, may quickly discover its limits when the pedal is to the floor longer than just a quarter mile.

99Zeus99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
On this you are correct. Blowers with no other upgrades, are great for short distances, but much more is needed for track use. There is a reason the GT500 went with an Edelbrock 2.7L. The slightly smaller design is I believe a little lighter than Whipple, but also the cooling is a factor when sustaining higher power on a track. IAT with a Whipple after a couple laps may start to go through the roof.

To handle the Temps, the GT500 had to redesign the front radiator and intercooler air flow with the larger radiator as well. They didn't design the front bumper/fascia like that just to look cool. They also added the little side scoops and larger splitter to keep the nose on the ground and help air flow around the outside of the wheel to draw more air through the brakes. It looks neat, but has a lot more to do with functional necessity for track use. I believe they even added some extra hood latches for high speed, since the hood vibrates badly over 160mph.
A regular GT with a blower, but no other upgrades, may quickly discover its limits when the pedal is to the floor longer than just a quarter mile.
All those are valid points. My PP1 car has upgraded cooling system standard and all the other upgrades mentioned don't put me anywhere near GT350 price and way off GT500 price. I can vent the hood for free, change the front fascia for about $800 before paint match. Diff coolers are the same on both cars. The Tremec is worth about $2000 over the MT-82. Brakes are a wash with the performance pack, k brace, sway bar, suspension etc. Down force is better with the PP1 car than the GT. Tires are track ready. I run 5W50 per Whipple warranty. I bet my 5.0 uses less oil in a track session than the Voodoo. I like my value per dollar in the comparison.

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
All those are valid points. My PP1 car has upgraded cooling system standard and all the other upgrades mentioned don't put me anywhere near GT350 price and way off GT500 price. I can vent the hood for free, change the front fascia for about $800 before paint match. Diff coolers are the same on both cars. The Tremec is worth about $2000 over the MT-82. Brakes are a wash with the performance pack, k brace, sway bar, suspension etc. Down force is better with the PP1 car than the GT. Tires are track ready. I run 5W50 per Whipple warranty. I bet my 5.0 uses less oil in a track session than the Voodoo. I like my value per dollar in the comparison.
I heard guys are going with this front fascia to get better air flow for track use. I think the wider front allows for 19x11 wheels. That way you can square up for best geometry and track handling.

https://andersoncomposites.com/coll...glass-front-bumper-for-2018-2019-ford-mustang

https://andersoncomposites.com/coll...glass-fenders-for-2018-2019-ford-mustang-pair

If I decide to track my car in the future, I'm really considering this as a possibility. If I go with a blower, I would upgrade to an all aluminum radiator and intercooler.
Sponsored