FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
With that info. I am glad I did what I did.

$285 CPE FMIC (got it on black friday
$550 ford tune, but sold the Gt350 CAI for 250.
$300 for CPE CAI (I thought it looked badass)
$275 GT brakes.
$1200-1400 for full suspension/sway/struts/everything.
---2300 bucks in upgrades, and it sits 1 inch lower, and drives nice with a stance.

I imagine its same performance as the HIPO, dare I say better due to Steeda and I guarantee the HIPO intercooler isn't as large as CPE FMIC.

If I was in the market, I would buy features I wanted - and color, and just upgrade the actual characteristics via aftermarket. I really thought the HIPO had a substantially stronger block, and was honestly all for it. Even wanted to test drive one, but no dealer here has any.
Sponsored

krack999

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost
This was a rumor that the RS block was somehow different, the 2.3 ecoboost uses the same block design/materials across Fords lineup. The motor in our cars still has the mounting points to be put in a FWD car.

The differences between the RS/HPP and a standard eco mustang are:
53mm compressor wheel vs 50mm
Slightly more aggressive cams
better intercooler
different tune

Other than that the motors are identical, the blocks are still the weak point and no 2.3 eco has a block that is superior to the others.
Thanks! This makes an easy decision for me in the future. I already love the handling of my 2017PP. Its honestly cheaper for me to spend $2k on upgrades vs trading mine in for the HPP mustang. I still think FPP is still sandbagging the car. Also, I think we were cheated by not having a flat foot shift feature. Now, just to figure out how to get the MT8trash to shift better. Its terrible!

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
There’s an easy way- Barton hybrid 3. I put it in first week I owned it, I personally body mounted it. Also- when installing there’s optional springs, tossed them things in trash. Way too stiff left to right, Not my thing, tons of people love the stiffness though. It felt like working out

With springs out it’s super easy to toss

Butter smooth shifting

Hated the shifter so much that I spent 350 bucks and ordered it after 2 day’s

The ford performance tune for ecoboost has a no lift shift feature. I’ve never tried it, but it has it

Atleast the ford performance guy told me on phone, idk if ecoboost FP Tune gets it or not.

krack999

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost
There’s an easy way- Barton hybrid 3. I put it in first week I owned it, I personally body mounted it. Also- when installing there’s optional springs, tossed them things in trash. Way too stiff left to right, Not my thing, tons of people love the stiffness though. It felt like working out

With springs out it’s super easy to toss

Butter smooth shifting

Hated the shifter so much that I spent 350 bucks and ordered it after 2 day’s

The ford performance tune for ecoboost has a no lift shift feature. I’ve never tried it, but it has it

Atleast the ford performance guy told me on phone, idk if ecoboost FP Tune gets it or not.
Oh, I'm trying that flat foot shift feature today. Good advice on the Barton.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I mean

Call ford perf and ask, id hate for you to try and not actually have the feature

But I’m pretty sure he told me ecoboost ford perf had it, I forget what rpms etc it happens at

Sponsored

krack999

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost
RPMs did not seem to dip for me. Re-engaging the clutch at the higher RPMS did allow better acceleration. However, I definitely smelled the clutch in the garage when I came home. Bottom line, don't flat foot shift unless the tune is smart enough to drop the RPMs automatically for you.

OP
OP

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Coming soon...

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
RPMs did not seem to dip for me. Re-engaging the clutch at the higher RPMS did allow better acceleration. However, I definitely smelled the clutch in the garage when I came home. Bottom line, don't flat foot shift unless the tune is smart enough to drop the RPMs automatically for you.
Just saw this. Thanks.

OP
OP

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Anyone want to take a guess at what they think power will be with the following mods? Just curious on what to expect. I will be using 91 gas. Also anyone know what kind of boost the tune will push the turbo too? Looking for a safe tune not looking to extract every last hp.

Protune from PD (non burble)
ATM intercooler
1 step colder plugs
Tune + wastegate
Airaid tube with filter
Exhaust is stock for the meantime

My goal 300ish rwhp and 370 rwtq. How attainable is this?

Deleted member

Anyone want to take a guess at what they think power will be with the following mods? Just curious on what to expect. I will be using 91 gas. Also anyone know what kind of boost the tune will push the turbo too? Looking for a safe tune not looking to extract every last hp.

Protune from PD (non burble)
ATM intercooler
1 step colder plugs
Tune + wastegate
Airaid tube with filter
Exhaust is stock for the meantime

My goal 300ish rwhp and 370 rwtq. How attainable is this?
If on 91 octane you should be in the 300-320whp and 360-370wtq depending on how aggressive you want Ryan to go with the tune, expect 10whp more on 93. Definitely a few extra ponies to be grabbed with a downpipe and exhaust, and if you really want to have fun with the stock turbo, have Ryan do a E30 tune. You can easily push 350-360whp and 400wtq on an E30 mix.

On E30 my car did 366whp and 407wtq when I had it on the dyno.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
If on 91 octane you should be in the 300-320whp and 360-370wtq depending on how aggressive you want Ryan to go with the tune, expect 10whp more on 93. Definitely a few extra ponies to be grabbed with a downpipe and exhaust, and if you really want to have fun with the stock turbo, have Ryan do a E30 tune. You can easily push 350-360whp and 400wtq on an E30 mix.

On E30 my car did 366whp and 407wtq when I had it on the dyno.
Awesome dude that is right in the range I want to be in. Just enough to make the car a little more exciting. Do you notice any issues with the crap gas here? I believe az and ca use the same junk lol. Also do you only go to certain stations?

Deleted member

Awesome dude that is right in the range I want to be in. Just enough to make the car a little more exciting. Do you notice any issues with the crap gas here? I believe az and ca use the same junk lol. Also do you only go to certain stations?
Unfortunately CA, AZ and NV do have the worst gas in the country, but Ryan knows this and does a great job of tuning accordingly. I never have major ignition corrections under heavy throttle.

I try and stick with Chevron as much as possible, but will go for Mobil, 76 and shell as a 2nd choice.

OP
OP

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Unfortunately CA, AZ and NV do have the worst gas in the country, but Ryan knows this and does a great job of tuning accordingly. I never have major ignition corrections under heavy throttle.

I try and stick with Chevron as much as possible, but will go for Mobil, 76 and shell as a 2nd choice.
What kind of boost levels do you run? I've heard it's bad to go above 25 psi with this motor, any thoughts? Thanks again for all your input

Deleted member

What kind of boost levels do you run? I've heard it's bad to go above 25 psi with this motor, any thoughts? Thanks again for all your input
I will hit 24.5-25 psi at wide open throttle but it's just the first pressure spike, it will sustain 22.5-23.5psi through the rev range and taper off to 21.5 at red line. If you start pushing the car to try and sustain 25+ psi to redline then yes you're playing with fire on the stock block.

OP
OP

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
I will hit 24.5-25 psi at wide open throttle but it's just the first pressure spike, it will sustain 22.5-23.5psi through the rev range and taper off to 21.5 at red line. If you start pushing the car to try and sustain 25+ psi to redline then yes you're playing with fire on the stock block.
Awww okay I was not aware. For some reason I thought the tune bumped boost to 26psi or so
Sponsored