Dave Pericak speaks a bit about the Mustang's future

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
Here's Dave on the the Sunday Today show this morning. You can certainly see the direction this is going in.

I cringed every time they called it the "new mustang".....
Sponsored

Ecoboosted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Mustang GT, 19' Road Glide
Here's Dave on the the Sunday Today show this morning. You can certainly see the direction this is going in.

I’m sorry but that’s looks ugly as shit.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Renewables are growing. So fast that we keep breaking previously established estimates. Problem is, lithium mining is growing too:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamese...with-environmental-consequences/#6bdf8bb462e2
Valid point, that is where new battery technology comes into play. There has to be a market though first in order to really push these advancements in energy storage.... Which is why we keep referencing EVs as being in their infancy. An EV 10 years from now likely will not be similar at all to current EVs. But again, you need the current EVs to get to the EV 10 years from now. You cannot have it all at once.

Joe B.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6 coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Here's a closeup of the new spawn from today's Chicago Auto Show, which was jammed with people. Also, the attention it garnered at the Ford display and the attention given the new 'vette.
IMG_5162.jpg
IMG_5166.jpg
IMG_5192.jpg

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
In case you missed it, I had the chance to talk with Fords Darren Palmer about the future of the Mustang (besides talking about the Mach-E). He said some intersting things to say about Hybrid options and if the V8 will still be a thing in the future of the Mustang.

"Our job is going to be two-fold," he said. "One is to figure out how to continue to make performance that will exist in some of these regulated countries, even our own, and how do you do it so it's a global offering?" Ford doesn't want to be in the business of building specific cars to meet various degrees of regulations around the world.

So, no, don't expect a big V8 solely for America, and an electrified turbo-four for Europe in the same car. Pericak pointed to the Mustang's future as a perfect example of these exact discussions going on right now.
I just read this part again. The whole V8 vs E-Turbo 4 is statement from the author of the article. It is not a quote of Pericak. It's pretty clear that Hybrid Turbo 4 coming to the Mustang soon, but I'm pretty sure that they it won't replace the GT. I think there are already some countries where Ford is only selling the Mustang Ecoboost and not the GT, so this statement from the article is pure speculation

Last edited:

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Sixty to seventy years after 90 percent of the cars are powered by electric motors, the scientist will claim the global warming has changed to global cooling because of an increase in ozone produced by the electric motors. The ozone layer will become thicker and block out sunlight. The landfills will become overrun with discarded batteries that are not recycled fast enough.
There will be something that requires more government control and for everyone to pay a lot of money. Regulations and changing requirements are the best way for politicians to get lots of kickbacks from industry.

Really good sales pitch by the MSM. Really good meaning they completely sold Ford's line of BS on this with no balance and no questions (no alternate view point). And interesting they didn't differentiate at all between this EV POS and the real Mustang. It's just a Mustang even though it has 4 doors and is lifted. It's a typical fluff piece supporting the story they want to tell. EVs are great don't ask any questions just do what we say.

Actually I am aware of some of what GM and Ford are doing to promote re-purposing of batteries. Keep in mind, though, that it is still very early in the life of lithium ion batteries for cars (EVs and Hybrids). There have been relatively few batteries replaced amongst the cars that have been sold. Most of those replaced either under warranty or through insurance claims (car involved in accident). There are very very few instances of batteries being replaced because they wore out. I personally know of none.

The other thing to consider is that EV batteries are designed to not use their full capacity. They have significant built in reserve. When they are no longer suitable for use in a car, they are perfectly fine for other uses. GM, for example, uses batteries pulled from Volt and Bolt EV test and development vehicles to power server banks and in some cases to directly or indirectly power production facilities. I think (but would need to confirm) that the Hamtramck plant that used to build Volt and will soon build GM’s EV trucks uses old Volt batteries to store overflow energy from the solar panels that help power the plant.
IMO recycling is only ONE requirement. And the recycling has to be possible with the NEW battery technology that can recharge quickly. If we are stuck with batteries that have to be charged overnight, powering servers is a better use for them than being in cars. Long recharge times relegate a car to being an extra vehicle rather than the principal car for a family.

Maybe they can figure out a design for capacitors that can be used to charge the batteries over time or something. I don't know, but long recharge times are a huge problem for mainstream acceptance.

Copperhead73

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derrick
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Convertible PP1, A10, Mag, B&O, A/E, S&S
IMO recycling is only ONE requirement. And the recycling has to be possible with the NEW battery technology that can recharge quickly. If we are stuck with batteries that have to be charged overnight, powering servers is a better use for them than being in cars. Long recharge times relegate a car to being an extra vehicle rather than the principal car for a family.

Maybe they can figure out a design for capacitors that can be used to charge the batteries over time or something. I don't know, but long recharge times are a huge problem for mainstream acceptance.
My father-in-law was a Sr level executive at TVA until he retired a few years ago. I think most would be shocked to learn how woefully unprepared we are to support the power requirements needed to support even 20% of the vehicles on the road moving to electric. The summer day time load on the power grid is already extremely high due to air conditioning use. We catch up by generating at night when the draw is low. When EV's become popular the night-time catch-up will cease because that is when everyone will plug in. Electricity prices will soar, which will reduce EV use, I suppose, so it will self-correct a little. Given the difficulty associated with opening new power plants, we will likely see rolling chronic power shortages Worldwide. We are electrifying EVERYTHING now.

Petroleum is supply source for energy. The demand for energy is not going to be reduced.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
My father-in-law was a Sr level executive at TVA until he retired a few years ago. I think most would be shocked to learn how woefully unprepared we are to support the power requirements needed to support even 20% of the vehicles on the road moving to electric. The summer day time load on the power grid is already extremely high due to air conditioning use. We catch up by generating at night when the draw is low. When EV's become popular the night-time catch-up will cease because that is when everyone will plug in. Electricity prices will soar, which will reduce EV use, I suppose, so it will self-correct a little. Given the difficulty associated with opening new power plants, we will likely see rolling chronic power shortages Worldwide. We are electrifying EVERYTHING now.

Petroleum is supply source for energy. The demand for energy is not going to be reduced.
Good point. IMO another potential solution could be storage devices at the refill locations in order to minimize peak draw.

One of my issues with this technology is it seems so dangerous to me. Working on an electric vehicle is like working on a ICE vehicle with the engine running. All that energy is there all the time ready to zap you.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
One of my issues with this technology is it seems so dangerous to me. Working on an electric vehicle is like working on a ICE vehicle with the engine running. All that energy is there all the time ready to zap you.
As another member pointed out electric motors and batteries have been around for a long time. This effects hybrids as well as full electrics. Batteries can be disconnected. With proper training this is really not a big deal.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
As another member pointed out electric motors and batteries have been around for a long time. This effects hybrids as well as full electrics. Batteries can be disconnected. With proper training this is really not a big deal.
High voltage battery disconnects for the Model 3 are under the rear seat. Very accessible. Disconnect the battery like you would a 12 volt battery and you will not have an issue at all.

Sponsored

kluke15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GTPP
This generation, if it isn’t vegan, vaping, or hanging out at Starbucks wearing hipster clothes then they don’t want it.

At college, I met grown adults who don’t have drivers license or any aspiration to own cars. They just over around and shit.
Blows my mind.

People just seem to care less about this stuff. I can’t imagine Cali etc those cities where this is probably amplified 100 over
my old roommate was a complete hipster, left college with one class left to finish his bachelors degree, and is now a bum who just panhandles, hitchhikes and visits national parks because he felt like it.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I understand that mechanics will probably be fine. I'm talking about someone like myself that enjoys doing some of the work themselves rather than always paying someone. When a car's engine is running, you can see with your eyes which components are moving and it is common sense to stay away from them. With electricity, you can't see how much energy is available if you touch the wrong thing.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I understand that mechanics will probably be fine. I'm talking about someone like myself that enjoys doing some of the work themselves rather than always paying someone. When a car's engine is running, you can see with your eyes which components are moving and it is common sense to stay away from them. With electricity, you can't see how much energy is available if you touch the wrong thing.
Yeah, I hear you. But as Zack said you can disconnect the battery. Honestly with electric cars I think the days of wrenching on your own will be going the way of the carburetor.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Yeah, I hear you. But as Zack said you can disconnect the battery. Honestly with electric cars I think the days of wrenching on your own will be going the way of the carburetor.
There's always brakes, suspension, etc. Brakes are one of the few things I almost always do myself. I just don't want to pay someone for work like that. Am I cheap? Yes.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Not so much. There are still plenty of things I can do on the Model 3 on my own. The difference is how much LESS stuff I need to do. I won't have to replace the brakes for another 100k miles or so because of regen braking, I don't have to do oil changes, engine air filter replacements, belt replacements, etc... The biggest things I will be doing to the 3 are tire rotations and cabin air filter replacements. So its not so much that you cant work on it, its that you don't HAVE to work on it as much.
Sponsored