Sponsored

Oil consumption test and black sooting.

rollingshi59

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Base A10
My gt350 consumed about a quart every 300 miles, so I took in to the dealership for the consumption test and I am facing some problems. I just saw a black soot posting below, and I do have that as well pretty badly. First when they started the process, they added 9 quarts instead of 10 for the oil change, and when it got close to 500, I checked it and the oil level was way lower than the second dot. (Assuming least 2 quarts). But all I heard back was normal oil level. So I requested to test it again because they only added 9 quarts from the beginning, so they approved it. After another 500 miles( was also lower than the second bottom dot) they said it consumed about a quart exactly, which did not make sense to me. They also commented that they cannot replace the motor if the motor is consuming only a quart per 500 mile. Now its going for 1000 miles(second 500 miles) and will have to see what they say after 2nd 500 miles, but I am thinking the way they are checking the oil level is very inconsistent.
Sponsored

key01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 now gone to a great home.
Are they marking the dipstick? I thought that was a requirement for the test.

madlag

Snake Charmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2022 GT500
Black sooting is normal in some conditions... Are you all stock? Any exhaust or tune mods? 1 qt per 500 miles is considered acceptable for these engines (especially pre-18+ models with first gen piston/rings). How is your driving habits? Loading these engines (high gear, low rpm acceleration) has been confirmed to consume oil. Do you do this much?

OP
OP

rollingshi59

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Base A10
Black sooting is normal in some conditions... Are you all stock? Any exhaust or tune mods? 1 qt per 500 miles is considered acceptable for these engines (especially pre-18+ models with first gen piston/rings). How is your driving habits? Loading these engines (high gear, low rpm acceleration) has been confirmed to consume oil. Do you do this much?
All stock except for the catch can and corsa xpipe. do tend to drive pretty regularly. Some wots some cruise. But I often dont use 6th gear. Does higher gear cruise consumes more oil than lower gear high rpm?

Sponsored

OP
OP

rollingshi59

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Base A10
I also tend to keep the rpm between 2k-4k cruising.

madlag

Snake Charmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2022 GT500
I also tend to keep the rpm between 2k-4k cruising.
talking specifically about engine load. When cruise in 5th and you end up slowing down for something, do you down gear and get the rpms high as you increase speed or do you just increase the throttle in 5th and power through? If its the latter (or some variation of it) then you're creating additional engine load which the voodoo doesn't seem to appreciate. just some thoughts...oil consumption is in these earlier motors seems to be tied to driving habit.

OP
OP

rollingshi59

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Base A10
talking specifically about engine load. When cruise in 5th and you end up slowing down for something, do you down gear and get the rpms high as you increase speed or do you just increase the throttle in 5th and power through? If its the latter (or some variation of it) then you're creating additional engine load which the voodoo doesn't seem to appreciate. just some thoughts...oil consumption is in these earlier motors seems to be tied to driving habit.
I do downshift if the rpm reaches close to or under 2k so I dont think my habits are causing more consumption

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
I do downshift if the rpm reaches close to or under 2k so I dont think my habits are causing more consumption
Your profile says you're driving a GT, is that correct or do you have a GT350?

Edit: Nevermind, just went back and re-read your first post.

Scoobs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 MG GT350 sold, 2019 MG GT350R KR569
To do the test properly they have to drain the oil and add 10 fresh quarts. Mark the dipstick and seal it so you can't check it yourself. You drive 500 miles and then bring back. They check oil level, add oil as needed, seal the dipstick and you drive another 500 miles and then take it in to check again.. If they have to add more than 1 quart at either oil check then you have excessive consumption. If the dealer screws up this process at any step then you have to start all over again.

My '17 GT350 has carbon build up on the tailpipes after every drive and was going through about 1 quart every 300 miles by second oil check. Borescope showed leaking intake valve seal on cylinders 1 and 2. Engine replaced.

Sponsored

Rubyred17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
To do the test properly they have to drain the oil and add 10 fresh quarts. Mark the dipstick and seal it so you can't check it yourself. You drive 500 miles and then bring back. They check oil level, add oil as needed, seal the dipstick and you drive another 500 miles and then take it in to check again.. If they have to add more than 1 quart at either oil check then you have excessive consumption. If the dealer screws up this process at any step then you have to start all over again.

My '17 GT350 has carbon build up on the tailpipes after every drive and was going through about 1 quart every 300 miles by second oil check. Borescope showed leaking intake valve seal on cylinders 1 and 2. Engine replaced.
Man the failure of those seals must have been catastrophic!

Micklimey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 J0017

Not saying your wrong on how to do the test correctly, because it makes total sense to me. However my dealer did not do it this way. He topped me off and started the test, asked me to come back in 1000 miles. Told me to check my oil myself which I did. When I noticed it was considerably low after 800 miles I took it in and they marked it down as almost 2 quarts low. They reported back to ford and ford authorized a new engine. Seems like maybe the difference is how the dealer writes it up? I know you can go to whatever dealership you want to get a test done. I think I’d find another dealer and see how they perform the test.

rick81721

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 LB H6153
Not saying your wrong on how to do the test correctly, because it makes total sense to me. However my dealer did not do it this way. He topped me off and started the test, asked me to come back in 1000 miles. Told me to check my oil myself which I did. When I noticed it was considerably low after 800 miles I took it in and they marked it down as almost 2 quarts low. They reported back to ford and ford authorized a new engine. Seems like maybe the difference is how the dealer writes it up? I know you can go to whatever dealership you want to get a test done. I think I’d find another dealer and see how they perform the test.
Seems to be lots of variation in the way dealers do this test. Mine followed "the book" from what I experienced. They changed oil, scribed the dipstick and added dye to look for leaks. Came back every week for 4 weeks. First time back, no leaks, oil down a qt. By the 3rd week they called it, my motor (@ 8000 miles) was going thru 1 qt/250 miles. Fast forward one year, my second motor now has almost 10000 miles on it and it consumes about 1 qt/5000 miles.

valdlaw

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Roman
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Curious to get the input from other members on oil consumption. I have a 2016 GT350 and have been monitoring oil consumption for the last 6,000 miles. I'm averaging approximately 1 qt every 950 miles pretty steadily since I started checking about 6 month ago. I drive pretty aggressively (I get on it at least a couple of times each drive) but do not track the car. Any thoughts on whether I should consider having an oil consumption test done by the dealer? I'm aware of the owner's supplement and the quart per 500 miles they reference but I have about another year left on my warranty. Thanks in advance for your input!

EuroKllr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
If you've been monitoring your oil for the last 6,000 miles and you're only burning 1 qt every 950 miles, you're GOLDEN! Stop worrying and just enjoy your car. The only thing you have to fear is fear itself!
Sponsored