green97probe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2014 Edge
Vehicle Showcase
I can't agree with that at all. To make it into something "more" would be to make it "more mainstream" where it becomes just another disposable sedan or interchangeable SUV/CUV. The Mustang's basic character to date is that it stands in defiance of being either of those things. To change that, you might as well just retire the name. The Mustang is to Ford what the Corvette is to Chevrolet or the 911 to Porsche. Two of those companies have had the good sense to not dilute (skewer?) their model's image.

Norm
To me, if Ford changes the Mustang from what it has always been, it will become a boring point A to point B appliance.

Ford has enough of those.
Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
https://crosscut.com/2020/02/make-w...ll-would-mostly-ban-single-family-only-zoning

These sort of things are going to gain momentum, emissions and carbon footprint concerns are increasingly becoming THE issue for a lot of people.
Obviously coming from the crowd that wants change as much for its own sake as for technical reasons. I don't think they've looked far enough ahead to see that as a neighborhood becomes 'citified' that there can be significant downsides.

I don't see ICE engines having much of a future 20-30 years from now.
I doubt it possible to happen that soon. Two or perhaps three human generations out, at least.

There may not be any more new 500+ HP ICE cars (or 400+, or pick your own number if you don't agree with mine), but that's not the same thing as no ICE-powered new cars at all.

Norm

Last edited:

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Norm Peterson said
The Mustang was never intended to be everything to everybody,

I'm afraid when Mustang came out in 1964/1965 it was intended to be everything to everybody. You could have a six cylinder three speed manual trans econo car all the way up to a fire breathing 289 K code racer.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
OK, let me rephrase (although you knew what i meant), "the technology to power motor vehicles efficiently and over long distances using batteries is in its infancy compared to ICE". Better? :)

And we do not need bigger batteries, we need more efficient batteries and the powertrain technology to use them. This is all happening and will continue until a better alternative becomes avaiable.
The things that need to improve for electric to become competitive with the ICE:
1. Fast battery recharge time (less than 5 minutes for a full charge is competitive with the ICE).
2. Batteries need to be made from less toxic and hazardous ingredients.
3. Batteries must become recyclable.
4. Batteries must become less expensive to produce.
5. We need supporting infrastructure that can produce and transmit the much heavier electric loads.

If they can make those things happen, people will flock to electrics and it will makes sense from an environmental standpoint to switch over. Some of these are very major things!

Frankly after considering this I feel that electric is in its infancy as well. Actually I feel it's at the prenatal stage - infancy might be an exaggeration.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
it will makes sense from an environmental standpoint to switch over. Some of these are very major things!
rubbish. We have less than 12 years before humans will go extinct, so it'll be perfected in 48 months. We just need to BELIEVE and it'll happen.

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Norm Peterson said

I'm afraid when Mustang came out in 1964/1965 it was intended to be everything to everybody. You could have a six cylinder three speed manual trans econo car all the way up to a fire breathing 289 K code racer.
With respect to its powertrain options it was given a wide range of appeal, but as a car it was clearly not aimed at family-sedan utility. If anything, it was a rebellion against the generally staid sedans and station wagons that those who were parents during the 1960's bought.
Fun over family-sedan function.
FWIW, I got my license around the time the Mustang hit the showroom floor for the very first time.

EV propulsion aside, the Mach E is just another run-of-the-mill SUV (CUV, if you prefer).

I know that it's hard for some people to look at anything except the engines, but you really do need to look at more than just the available powertrains when you try to establish where the Mustang fits in the automotive landscape.

Norm

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
Sixty to seventy years after 90 percent of the cars are powered by electric motors, the scientist will claim the global warming has changed to global cooling because of an increase in ozone produced by the electric motors. The ozone layer will become thicker and block out sunlight. The landfills will become overrun with discarded batteries that are not recycled fast enough.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT

With respect to its powertrain options it was given a wide range of appeal, but as a car it was clearly not aimed at family-sedan utility. If anything, it was a rebellion against the generally staid sedans and station wagons that those who were parents during the 1960's bought.
Fun over family-sedan function.
THIS!!!!!

At a time when consumers had some decent disposable income, Mustang was intended to be a second or third car. A car to bring enjoyment to motoring. It was an indulgence. It was the antidote to dad's huge boring sedan, or mom's station wagon. This is why calling the Mach E a Mustang grates so much with me. Mach E is everything the original Mustang was not :crying:

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Hack said

The batteries in use now are recyclable it just cost more than it's worth to the manufacturers to do so they want to leave the growing problem of used batteries to someone else to fix.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
THIS!!!!!

At a time when consumers had some decent disposable income, Mustang was intended to be a second or third car. A car to bring enjoyment to motoring. It was an indulgence. It was the antidote to dad's huge boring sedan, or mom's station wagon. This is why calling the Mach E a Mustang grates so much with me. Mach E is everything the original Mustang was not :crying:
Let's also remember who much advertising was done directly to woman.

6ed2eafe14a8eb34ef5fbb2eaaf79336--retro-advertising-vintage-advertisements.jpg

Sponsored

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Hack said

The batteries in use now are recyclable it just cost more than it's worth to the manufacturers to do so they want to leave the growing problem of used batteries to someone else to fix.
Actually I am aware of some of what GM and Ford are doing to promote re-purposing of batteries. Keep in mind, though, that it is still very early in the life of lithium ion batteries for cars (EVs and Hybrids). There have been relatively few batteries replaced amongst the cars that have been sold. Most of those replaced either under warranty or through insurance claims (car involved in accident). There are very very few instances of batteries being replaced because they wore out. I personally know of none.

The other thing to consider is that EV batteries are designed to not use their full capacity. They have significant built in reserve. When they are no longer suitable for use in a car, they are perfectly fine for other uses. GM, for example, uses batteries pulled from Volt and Bolt EV test and development vehicles to power server banks and in some cases to directly or indirectly power production facilities. I think (but would need to confirm) that the Hamtramck plant that used to build Volt and will soon build GM’s EV trucks uses old Volt batteries to store overflow energy from the solar panels that help power the plant.

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
The Last of a dying breed....
road warrior.png

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
When they are no longer suitable for use in a car, they are perfectly fine for other uses.
Exactly... You do not have to completely tear the battery apart to reuse it... With the increase in home solar and energy storage, a market does exist for these recycled EV batteries to be used.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr