rrdeloss

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Roland
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350, 2006 Nissan 350Z Roadster
Vehicle Showcase
Received a notification on FordPass for Field Service Action 19B34, Gearshift Lever Assembly Reverse Lock-Out. Anyone receive the same message or know what it's about? I did a Google search and couldn't find anything. Scheduled service with my dealership, but just read a horror story of a person who's brand new 2020 Mustang GT was totaled by a junior mechanic at his Colorado dealership. Needless to say I'm super reluctant to keep that appointment. Any info helps. Thanks.
Sponsored

ExtantPuzzle

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Some discussion over in the GT350 area here: https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/reverse-lockout-recall.136308/

I'm having mine done in a week and a half. Will post update there when it's done.

Re: dealership and mechanic wrecking it. I'm not even remotely worried about them wrecking it on a joy ride. If they do that, they buy me a new one. I'm more worried about them doing something just a little wrong during the work and having to deal with the effects of that 6 months later, but that's a minor risk in my mind.

BeastAR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not sure if all dealerships do it, but the one I bought mine from, only the shop foreman is to drive vehicles like mine.

But, to answer the thread, look at the reverse lockout thread as posted above. Since the recall is so new, there will not be a lot of information out on it yet. and as it is such a small percentage of the total of the combined car platform affected.

OP
OP
rrdeloss

rrdeloss

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Roland
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Some discussion over in the GT350 area here: https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/reverse-lockout-recall.136308/

I'm having mine done in a week and a half. Will post update there when it's done.

Re: dealership and mechanic wrecking it. I'm not even remotely worried about them wrecking it on a joy ride. If they do that, they buy me a new one. I'm more worried about them doing something just a little wrong during the work and having to deal with the effects of that 6 months later, but that's a minor risk in my mind.
Thanks for sharing the notice. I was a little surprised about the Field Service Action. I got the message on Ford Pass. Taking my in this Friday. I haven't been up to speed on what's been going on with the newer cars. Last Mustang I had was an '02 GT that I bought brand new of the lot in July 2002. Had her for over 15 years before I got rear ended and she was totaled. I have 147 miles on the odometer, barely took delivery on February 8th of this year.

OP
OP
rrdeloss

rrdeloss

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Roland
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

I went to drop my car off for the recall and was told by local Ford Service Department that the replacement gearshift leverl won't be in stock until at least March 13.

Sponsored

SL8888

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT-350 # K1989
First new car that I purchased for myself in 40 years, 45 miles on her and it is in need of repair/replacement of the gear shifter ?
Does anyone make an upgrade, aftermarket, more robust shifter. I cringe at the thought of the dealership mechanics working
on my car. Oil stain is still visible on my drivers seat when the "technician" reprogramed the car to get it out of transport mode...

OP
OP
rrdeloss

rrdeloss

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Roland
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
First new car that I purchased for myself in 40 years, 45 miles on her and it is in need of repair/replacement of the gear shifter ?
Does anyone make an upgrade, aftermarket, more robust shifter. I cringe at the thought of the dealership mechanics working
on my car. Oil stain is still visible on my drivers seat when the "technician" reprogramed the car to get it out of transport mode...
I know there is one from MGW.

SL8888

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT-350 # K1989
Thanks for that information, I looked it up and seems really solid. Anyone have any real world experience with this
shifter ? I'm going to have to buy one.

Wine dude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black GT 350
Lots of positive comments on this shifter, only a few went back to factory one if memory serves me right from this blog.
The manufacturer has a great video for the installation.
I had mine installed by a specialty shop, had to go back for some adjustments but after that it is amazing.
I think this is a good modification and enjoyed by many owners on this forum

Coosawjack

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Convertible
What exactly is the potential problem with the reverse lockout??:inspect:

Sponsored

Voodoo Velocity

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 / 2016 Acura RLX Sport Hybrid
I am not having any issue with my shifter - so I am not in a rush to get it done immediately. I expect the parts will need to be ordered anyway.

However, for those of you who contacted your dealer - did you need to have the car inspected before they ordered the replacement parts? I was out for a drive and decided to stop at the dealer to inquire next steps. I expected they would tell me they would order the parts and advise me when they arrived so I could schedule the swap. Well that is my universe anyway.

I walked up to the service advisor and explained I receive the FSA. I have no relationship with this service dept as this would be my 1st service with the dealer. I guess the guy hated he was working Saturday and flicked me away before I even explained what the FSA was for. He said I needed to make an appointment to have the car inspected before they would order any parts. Obviously inquiring in person was a really bad thing to do. How dare I show up in person to INQUIRE what the next steps were.

Frankly I think that guy sucks toad poo. I cannot imagine an inspection is needed prior to ordering the parts? Did anyone else experience this? Is there a Ford entity I should contact to find out if I need to waste another drive to this Neaderthal? Surely, when I actually get the swap done I will be asking for a different 'Service' Advisor.

Alain

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alain
Vehicle(s)
2016 Challenger Hellcat / 2019 350R #413
I am not having any issue with my shifter - so I am not in a rush to get it done immediately. I expect the parts will need to be ordered anyway.

However, for those of you who contacted your dealer - did you need to have the car inspected before they ordered the replacement parts? I was out for a drive and decided to stop at the dealer to inquire next steps. I expected they would tell me they would order the parts and advise me when they arrived so I could schedule the swap. Well that is my universe anyway.

I walked up to the service advisor and explained I receive the FSA. I have no relationship with this service dept as this would be my 1st service with the dealer. I guess the guy hated he was working Saturday and flicked me away before I even explained what the FSA was for. He said I needed to make an appointment to have the car inspected before they would order any parts. Obviously inquiring in person was a really bad thing to do. How dare I show up in person to INQUIRE what the next steps were.

Frankly I think that guy sucks toad poo. I cannot imagine an inspection is needed prior to ordering the parts? Did anyone else experience this? Is there a Ford entity I should contact to find out if I need to waste another drive to this Neaderthal? Surely, when I actually get the swap done I will be asking for a different 'Service' Advisor.
I'm wondering the same exact thing. I don't want a dealership to even put my car on a lift. I've seen what some dealerships do to the pinch welds.

I'm with you, I also feel that if the VIN on your car is part of the recall, then there is nothing for them to inspect and they should just order the parts.

If I were you, I would not go back to that dealership at all (unless you have no other dealership near you).

I was thinking about asking the dealership to order the parts and just give them to me. If I would have asked your Neanderthal service advisor to do that he probably would have shot me hahaha.

I will either install the OEM replacement or keep the upgraded OEM shifter and install a MGW unit. But I'm doing all the work. Unfortunately I don't know anyone I can trust at any of my local Ford dealers.

03reptile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
I'm fairly certain that no Ford dealer will give you the replacement shifter (or parts) to install yourself. I think they are required to do the install at their dealership. Not sure whether this notice results in a whole new shifter mechanism with the faulty part already replaced or if they (dealer) replace the part on site. When my 2019 had the problem back in 07/19, Ford was backordered on the replacement shifter so I bought an MGW shifter and had it installed, rather than wait the two months that it took to arrive. The replacement was an entire new shifter mechanism. I'm sure the vendor who makes the shifter for Ford is way behind the 8 ball trying to provide shifters for current produced cars and those already in the hands of customers that have the faulty part, thus the backorder problem that dealerships are experiencing. I'd have the dealership order the replacement shifter and wait till it arrives before doing anything, albeit, if your current shifter is having the described issue then you have a decision to make.

Alain

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alain
Vehicle(s)
2016 Challenger Hellcat / 2019 350R #413
I hope you’re wrong reptile. i hope I can talk my way into taking the parts with me.

I’ll have them order the part AND THEN I’ll ask them to let me do the install. Hopefully they’ll be more inclined to let me take the parts home then be stuck with them.

orangegrower

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 - 2019 Aston Martin Vantage - 2019 Ranger Lariat
This is a field service action and not a recall. Unless you are drinking buddies with someone in the service department you won't get a replacement shifter unless there is a problem with your shifter. I am sure there will be people that get a shifter with no problem with the old shifter but that is not the way the field service action is supposed to work. The chances of getting a shifter from Ford that you want to install yourself is not likely. The dealer will need to send back the old shifter to Ford.
Sponsored