Sponsored

Is a pound of boost in a supercharger the same as a pound of boost from a turbocharger?

jrsimon27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2016 PP
I ask cause i see dyno pulls and always turbo cars with less boost will put down more whp then cars with superchargers.
It seemas superchargers need more boost to create the same power as a turbocharge car.

Also isnt it beneficial for the engine to run less boost for engine life?
Sponsored

Furious18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt, 2018 f150 eb 3.5
All depends. different size turbos produce different amounts of CFM at the same boost level.

there’s more parasitic loss with a supercharger. Motor turns supercharger and supercharger turns the motor. It eats up hp to turn a supercharger.

As a general rule of thumb.. 1 lb of boost equals somewhere around 20whp. sometimes it’s more and sometimes you are out of efficiency range and you don’t make more. Tons of factors

moffetts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Whippled 2015 GT PP
In general, turbo setups make more power at the same boost level and have a higher power ceiling than supercharged setups. On the flip side, they are more complicated to install and they cannot be smogged in CARB states.

armykyle1 [HACKED ACCOUNT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP premium
All superchargers have parasitic loss. Typically, the bigger the blower, the more loss. An F1a takes more power to spin than a P1sc. Just like a KB 4.5 will require more power than the 3.2.

Turbos essentially have no parasitic loss (up to a certain level) and will generate more power per pound of boost.

Sponsored

Rjames18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
RJ
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10 Orange Fury
In general, turbo setups make more power at the same boost level and have a higher power ceiling than supercharged setups. On the flip side, they are more complicated to install and they cannot be smogged in CARB states.
Turbo are not more complicated to install... Especially the bottom mount from LPF. It's a 4-6 hour job

Rjames18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
RJ
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10 Orange Fury
Don't compare "boost" or psi when looking at different set ups... If the cars have everything the same then, and only then, compare..
I have so many people ask me how many lbs am I running to compare with theirs. I always tell them 69lbs

gimmie11s

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Murica!
Don't compare "boost" or psi when looking at different set ups... If the cars have everything the same then, and only then, compare..
I have so many people ask me how many lbs am I running to compare with theirs. I always tell them 69lbs
All the boost!

lmao

Phoenix

Instagram: PhoenixNFA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Tech AvGrey/Black Stripes