Sponsored

Unusual sounds like rubbing

BBW P1X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang GT
So im getting an unusual rubbing type of noise that the car is making inbetween the procharger and the engine, when i drive it also feels different, i can notice the difference. Any clues? I check the belt and nothing i just tightened the harmonic balancer bolt, it sounds worse around 60+ on highway
Sponsored

turnswrench

turnswrench
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bowman
Vehicle(s)
F-150, WK SRT
So im getting an unusual rubbing type of noise that the car is making inbetween the procharger and the engine, when i drive it also feels different, i can notice the difference. Any clues? I check the belt and nothing i just tightened the harmonic balancer bolt, it sounds worse around 60+ on highway
Record it?

OP
OP
BBW P1X

BBW P1X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang GT
Record it?
Almost out of work in 2 hours, will record, bare in mind i don't have the "quieter gears" so it is hard to hear it but i know my car enough to know that it hasn't sounded like that.

OP
OP
BBW P1X

BBW P1X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang GT
Now i
Unusual sounds like rubbing
Kinda like a FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP, FAP ?
A little lube might really help with any rubbing noise, or at least make it go away quicker.
Now my car is vibrating with check engine light on... a slight tick through the exhaust and i just changed the spark plugs, i noticed something off but now its wayyy worse i changed the oil and same thing

Sponsored

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Now i
Now my car is vibrating with check engine light on... a slight tick through the exhaust and i just changed the spark plugs, i noticed something off but now its wayyy worse i changed the oil and same thing
99% of time the cause is the last thing I worked on.
stop running the motor until you get the code checked.
Could be a cylinder not firing from a plug not workign or installed correct.
Post exact part number of plugs you installed. Use calipers and compare thread length and electrode height to see if new plugs might be too long.
When you pull the plug covers, always blow the hole out with compressed air BEFORE pulling the plugs in case anything loose down there waiting to fall in. Ive had a little piece of loose rubber come out once before on a never opened plug cover.
Carefully back the plugs out and COUNT number of quarter turns for every single plug to back out and write it down on a paper with diagram with engine front marked or on your phone.
When reinstalling plugs, turn BACKWARDS slowly to feel for where the threads start to engage cleanly before screwing them in.

What engine code?

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Any false knock in the logs?

OP
OP
BBW P1X

BBW P1X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang GT
99% of time the cause is the last thing I worked on.
stop running the motor until you get the code checked.
Could be a cylinder not firing from a plug not workign or installed correct.
Post exact part number of plugs you installed. Use calipers and compare thread length and electrode height to see if new plugs might be too long.
When you pull the plug covers, always blow the hole out with compressed air BEFORE pulling the plugs in case anything loose down there waiting to fall in. Ive had a little piece of loose rubber come out once before on a never opened plug cover.
Carefully back the plugs out and COUNT number of quarter turns for every single plug to back out and write it down on a paper with diagram with engine front marked or on your phone.
When reinstalling plugs, turn BACKWARDS slowly to feel for where the threads start to engage cleanly before screwing them in.

What engine code?
Want to start by saying the ngauge i had to read codes was destroyed 2 days ago by a guy i asked to wire my boost gauge and got confused so i couldn't read codes, went to autozone and they stated coils/spark plugs, i thankfully looked up the code and it stated cylinder 2 so that was the side my buddy did the spark plugs.. the connections were in but not fully in and as soon as i pushed it way further the car was not sounding like a cammed car anymore lmao those clips are trash btw

OP
OP
BBW P1X

BBW P1X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang GT
so as i kinda started telling sig intel, my ngauge was destroyed so the company is s buying me a new one monday, i haven't attempted the log but i opened the hood and had a buddy of mine rev the engine slowly up to 5000 and it bogs real bad up top its unusual, could it be belt rubbing or mounts not completely tightened? Im at about 6000 miles with the procharger now and not once had i had an issue like this. I assumed not enough air flow due to a pipe connected to intercooler was hitting the frame and was bent in so i cut it and fixed it but im still getting that boggy noise

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
so as i kinda started telling sig intel, my ngauge was destroyed so the company is s buying me a new one monday, i haven't attempted the log but i opened the hood and had a buddy of mine rev the engine slowly up to 5000 and it bogs real bad up top its unusual, could it be belt rubbing or mounts not completely tightened? Im at about 6000 miles with the procharger now and not once had i had an issue like this. I assumed not enough air flow due to a pipe connected to intercooler was hitting the frame and was bent in so i cut it and fixed it but im still getting that boggy noise
I recall one guy having issues with the crank pulley clashing on his sway bar. You’d tend to think it would be fairly obvious if this was the case though.
Logs might help you to at least start searching in a direction I guess

Sponsored
OP
OP
BBW P1X

BBW P1X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang GT
I recall one guy having issues with the crank pulley clashing on his sway bar. You’d tend to think it would be fairly obvious if this was the case though.
Logs might help you to at least start searching in a direction I guess
so i came to tightening the bolts, the procharger has BLACK liquid, almost like oil but im not sure what it is, but its a lot.. its right under the procharger and its coming from the procharger, nowhere else

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
so i came to tightening the bolts, the procharger has BLACK liquid, almost like oil but im not sure what it is, but its a lot.. its right under the procharger and its coming from the procharger, nowhere else
I'd start with checking the oil level in the head unit. If ok, I'll pull the head unit to track down the source of the grease/oil.

OP
OP
BBW P1X

BBW P1X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang GT
I'd start with checking the oil level in the head unit. If ok, I'll pull the head unit to track down the source of the grease/oil.
its coming from under the head unit near the oil plug, i took the car for a drive and it is On the opposite side of the where the other placard is at near the bracket. I dried it up completely so it was clean. Got home after a mile drive and it was slightly greasy on that area that i stated. I made sure oil was in the head unit, i changed it earlier than the 6000, i did it at 3000 assuming the head unit might feel dry and i checked the dip stick and all is fine. (Not really) im going to call procharger today if open or tomorrow, this is just stressing me out since i've had this for 4-5 months only
Sponsored