GT PP suspension too springy- hurts neck

1stBluesCup

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP, '07 Miata MX-5, 2006 Tundra SR5
Does anyone think the S550 GT PP suspension is too springy and rough? I have arthritis in my neck and my '17 GT PP is really bumpy and hurts my old neck on the concrete roads here in DFW. I also have an '07 Miata but it rides pretty nice even though it has performance suspension.
I feel like the oem GT PP suspension has a fast accelerating springs and the shocks do not dampen enough. I got the track pack so it will handle the track, but, man, I'm really feelin' it on the local roads.
Anyone have a solution, maybe new struts/shocks? I don't want to make it less trackable.
Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
you know there's NUMEROUS threads about this already, right? That magnifying glass icon in the top right of the menubar is the "search" box. Or hell, scan the first 5-10 pages of the thread titles.

Or just scroll down to the bottom of the page where the forum software AI helpfully lists 5 likely related threads for you to read.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I'll actually answer the question for you: yes it is. You would do yourself very well to change to Bilstein B6 shocks and struts, or Ford Performance track (M-18000-F). It will ride better overall and handle better.

Jamse-r

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jimmy
Vehicle(s)
19 Mustang Ecoboost, 03 GT Convertible, 93 Foxbody GT
Awesome that you own an 07 Miata. I own a 19 Club which come with the Bilsteins. In Rhode Island we have the worst roads and it does very well. I have a 19 Base Ecoboost and the stock suspension is far better than previous base Mustangs from the factory. Bmac thanks for the reply going with the Bilsteins and Steeda Conservative Drop springs for my daily.

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
you could lower your air pressure in the tires, that could help a bit, I wouldnt go below like 28 though with street tires

Sponsored

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Does anyone think the S550 GT PP suspension is too springy and rough? I have arthritis in my neck and my '17 GT PP is really bumpy and hurts my old neck on the concrete roads here in DFW. I also have an '07 Miata but it rides pretty nice even though it has performance suspension.
I feel like the oem GT PP suspension has a fast accelerating springs and the shocks do not dampen enough. I got the track pack so it will handle the track, but, man, I'm really feelin' it on the local roads.
Anyone have a solution, maybe new struts/shocks? I don't want to make it less trackable.
The 15-17 OEM dampers were not paired well to the springs, imo. The Bilsteins will work wonders, or consider rebound adjustable dampers like the Steeda ProActions.

OP
OP
1stBluesCup

1stBluesCup

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
I read some posts about changing to the Ford Perf shocks. Not sure it was in response to my observation & specific problem. It just feels like these springs are so stiff that the shocks can't dampen their rebound effectively. I drove a '17 Premium non-track pack GT before I bought mine and thought it was pretty stiff due to the 20" foundry wheels and 35 tires, but mine is stiffer and harsher.
I don't think deflating the tires is gonna do much besides chewing up the shoulders.
?So is what I'm feeling caused by stiff springs not being dampened by the shocks, or, shocks that are too stiff and rebound very quickly? (I'm still learning about suspension science- sorry.)

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I read some posts about changing to the Ford Perf shocks. Not sure it was in response to my observation & specific problem. It just feels like these springs are so stiff that the shocks can't dampen their rebound effectively. I drove a '17 Premium non-track pack GT before I bought mine and thought it was pretty stiff due to the 20" foundry wheels and 35 tires, but mine is stiffer and harsher.
I don't think deflating the tires is gonna do much besides chewing up the shoulders.
?So is what I'm feeling caused by stiff springs not being dampened by the shocks, or, shocks that are too stiff and rebound very quickly? (I'm still learning about suspension science- sorry.)
The oem PP springs are not stiff at all for the mass of the vehicle. It just needs better damper tuning. The rear shocks in particular have too high compression damping and not low speed enough rebound control. Swapping to a better set will make worlds of difference.

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
The 15-17 OEM dampers were not paired well to the springs, imo. The Bilsteins will work wonders, or consider rebound adjustable dampers like the Steeda ProActions.
We can help - we have a fantastic forum, military & first responder pricing ... currently, we are having our Valentine's Day sale.

Let me know if I can help assist by putting you in touch with one of our build experts to discuss your goals, budget & improvement in ride quality.

TJ

Grimreaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
As fellow dfw dweller I concur. The roads don't help around here at all. I've got the RLCA bearing done too and its on another level at times depending on the road.

I planned to do what these guy have suggested with a better shock. Ford track pack shocks was the plan.

I have been running the rears at 28 to 29 psi due to tire wear being heavily centered at 32 psi. It does help

Last edited:

Sponsored

rucus0101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1

I had the same problem it was suck ride. The dampers don't do a good job of maintaining the springs. I installed the steeda comfort package with the progressive springs the active shocks camber plates and spacers. It dropped the front 5/8 and the rear 1/2. Rides night and day difference vast improvement. I would contact them and ask about it.

Matt

OP
OP
1stBluesCup

1stBluesCup

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
I had the same problem it was suck ride. The dampers don't do a good job of maintaining the springs. I installed the steeda comfort package with the progressive springs the active shocks camber plates and spacers. It dropped the front 5/8 and the rear 1/2. Rides night and day difference vast improvement. I would contact them and ask about it.

Matt
Thanks. I think I will start w/ planning to do just the shocks/struts. Not really interested in lowering or putting in camber plates just yet. I'm not enough of a track maniac yet to get into lowering & negative camber etc. Just want a better ride. And my track driving will improve if I ever put some stickier tires on (got Toyo Proxes 4plus rubber=540-- very hard!) I asked Steeda if that would work- just dampers, no springs.

rucus0101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
Thanks. I think I will start w/ planning to do just the shocks/struts. Not really interested in lowering or putting in camber plates just yet. I'm not enough of a track maniac yet to get into lowering & negative camber etc. Just want a better ride. And my track driving will improve if I ever put some stickier tires on (got Toyo Proxes 4plus rubber=540-- very hard!) I asked Steeda if that would work- just dampers, no springs.
I was kind of in the same situation but I decided to go ahead and do the springs also. If you look at how the Magnaride systems work and why they ride better its a combo of the springs and the shocks. The springs are softer because you can rely on the dampers to do more of the work. I think just the dampers will help with the oscillation and control the springs better but you will still have a lot of that stiffness because of the stiffer PP springs.

DRB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 5.0 Performance Pack convertible, Rapid Red
Slight OT, what effect would the Ford Performance lowering springs have on the PP ride and handling?

rucus0101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
Slight OT, what effect would the Ford Performance lowering springs have on the PP ride and handling?
The ford performance springs are slightly stiffer than the PP springs and with no change in shock it will be even worse.
Sponsored