Dave Pericak speaks a bit about the Mustang's future

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
You're saying that we haven't been trying to develop longer lasting, lighter, and more powerful batteries in recent history. Does the space program not need better batteries? Electric tools? Everything not plugged into a wall?
You seem to think developing stunningly superior electric technologies--that are sure to come--will do so simply by virtue of the fact we haven't tried to develop them before. That is absurd. That energizer bunny has been beating his drum for half my life.
OK, you're just trying to argue every point I'm making. Enjoy your day.
Sponsored

Copperhead73

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derrick
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Convertible PP1, A10, Mag, B&O, A/E, S&S
Now you're picking on the wealthy? What did they do to you. Ok, so your anti-government and anti-wealthy, I get it, it's OK. CAFE regulations are not based on wealth. If I can't buy it neither can Brad Pitt.

What's being phased out? We are currently in the greatest high performance car era in history. ford will make as many 460HP Mustangs as people will buy. They start at a price below the current average as well. There is no ban.

Yeah, no. We old folks said the same thing back in the 70's when performance went in the toilet and government started their fuel mileage regulations. We are an internet forum with a handful of members "yelling the sky is falling". The sky is not falling it is evolving. I hope I live long enough to see the hot rods my grandchildren will be driving.
I am only picking on the wealthy who lecture us while doing the opposite of what they preach. My point is that the cars you list are all high-dollar and that there will always be products that break the rules for those who can afford them. Cars arbitrarily determined to be "gas-guzzlers" by the government have to be offset by a greater number fuel efficient cars by manufactures to meet CAFE standards. That drives the price up of the "guzzlers" (along with the specific guzzler tax).

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Using energy is not wrong, it is not immoral. It is a daily necessity, always has been, always will be. I also do not think that ICE is immoral. I just think we are evolving to something different. Right now that different is electric. Tomorrow it could be something else. I guess we'll see. Until then I'm keeping my V8 :)

By the way here is what is happening in China today. This is man made, not natural. People are dying because of it. Their government is finally starting to take steps to clean up this mess. You do not see this in the US because our government has done some good in regulating industry. And by the way, if you think what is happening doesn't effect us, think Norovirus. We are all connected.

upload_2020-2-14_10-47-3.jpeg

images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcRQeq7GdqeK8aHMVMmYNiN2DUF2ENXKEOTzZd-gDaZJlFLSi-_Z.jpg
China prefers 2-cycle engines and so they get too much smog. Even their high performance cars are fitted with supercharged 2-cycle engines.

Last edited:

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Now you're picking on the wealthy? What did they do to you. Ok, so your anti-government and anti-wealthy, I get it, it's OK. CAFE regulations are not based on wealth. If I can't buy it neither can Brad Pitt.

What's being phased out? We are currently in the greatest high performance car era in history. ford will make as many 460HP Mustangs as people will buy. They start at a price below the current average as well. There is no ban.

Yeah, no. We old folks said the same thing back in the 70's when performance went in the toilet and government started their fuel mileage regulations. We are an internet forum with a handful of members "yelling the sky is falling". The sky is not falling it is evolving. I hope I live long enough to see the hot rods my grandchildren will be driving.
Personally, I am not looking forward to the soundless , smell less future. there is something about the smell of burning gasoline or high octane fuel and the roar of an engine's exhaust. The silent electric world is not for me. Sure, I will enjoy the insane levels of torque and see all records broken but I will deeply miss all the other senses involvement. That goes also for the touch need to drive a manual.

Sponsored

MNGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350 base comp orange

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
https://crosscut.com/2020/02/make-w...ll-would-mostly-ban-single-family-only-zoning

These sort of things are going to gain momentum, emissions and carbon footprint concerns are increasingly becoming THE issue for a lot of people. I don't see ICE engines having much of a future 20-30 years from now. I just hope they focus on new cars, not regulating away classic IC engines we already own.
I just read a presentation from one of my colleagues who is in China. China is pretty much leading the EV economy. My colleague forecasts vehicle production for the Chinese market. He is forecasting that almost 90% of vehicles produced in China 20 years from now will still have an ICE. Most of those will also have an electric motor, but there will still be an ICE (hybrids and plug-in hybrids). The US is more than a few years behind China in terms of EV product production and sales.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
China prefers 2-cycle engines and so they get too much smog. Even their high performance cars are fitted with supercharged 2-cycle engines.
In the unlikely event that this wasn't meant as a joke....

Top 10 best selling 500+ hp cars in China for 2017....
  • Mercedes AMG G-Class (563 hp) 1,714
  • Range Rover (525 hp) 1,412
  • Mercedes Benz AMG GLS (577 hp) 1,372
  • Bentley Flying Spur (520 hp) 950
  • Bentley Bentayga (599 hp) 511
  • Porsche Cayenne (512 hp) 504
  • Rolls Royce Ghost (563 hp) 386
  • Mercedes Benz AMG C-Class (503 hp) 301
  • Ferrari 488 (661hp) 294
  • Bentley Continental GT (520 hp) 285

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
The US is more than a few years behind China in terms of EV product production and sales.
That's the beauty of a command economy - you WILL produce what we tell you to because we said so. Plus a billion souls means you can accomplish a lot in the aggregate even if at the unit level they are way behind. When 'cost' has no meaning you can try all sorts of things. Plus USA et. al. have to deal with pesky things like emissions controls, labor relations, and economic returns. In CCP, you don't like it, here's a hollow-point at high velocity, or a prison cell for you to mull over your objections.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
But if ford is going to keep the mustang, then yeah, the car needs to evolve into something more than what it has already been.
I can't agree with that at all. To make it into something "more" would be to make it "more mainstream" where it becomes just another disposable sedan or interchangeable SUV/CUV. The Mustang's basic character to date is that it stands in defiance of being either of those things. To change that, you might as well just retire the name. The Mustang is to Ford what the Corvette is to Chevrolet or the 911 to Porsche. Two of those companies have had the good sense to not dilute (skewer?) their model's image.

Norm

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
As much as the old folks bitch and moan, it makes perfect sense to build your cars for the younger generation, since that's who will be buying them. Ford won't care in the slightest what boomers think of their cars, because they'll be too busy rotting away in a retirement home to buy them.
What would make more sense would be if there's something about a particular car that would cause you to not want it - in which case the thing to do would be to shop for the kind of car that you do want and not worry about what it's called.

The Mustang has become a niche model, but it serves a clearly identifiable niche. Nobody is being forced to squeeze themselves into that niche buyer category. Live and let live.

Norm

Last edited:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Absolutely, and it's wonderful. I myself love ICE's and always will. But we're also more accepting of change, and less of the "this is the only way because it's my way, the way we've always done it, and any other way is stupid" mentality that seems to be so prevalent among older people, and in this thread...
So why are you basically equating "more accepting of change" with "everything must change" here? Why the implied disrespect for the way things have been done before? Is it a belief if something isn't new that by definition it is in need of some new-think definition of "improvement"?

Norm

Last edited:

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
This will fix everything High Performance and eco friendly

Screen-Shot-2015-10-19-at-11.32.39-AM1.png

Focus-RS-Flux-Capacitor-760x331.jpg

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
"The mustang isn't going to be how I want it to be, therefore it is dumb, and Ford is dumb for doing it." That's exactly what is being said, that is what you have said repeatedly, and that is why I'm regretting getting into this at all. It's like talking to a wall.
The Mustang was never intended to be everything to everybody, and it still appeals to enough people the way it is. Wanting to see it change is to take somebody else's preference away from them. Wait 'til it's your turn in the barrel.

Norm

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
For me, a gas engine is more than just the drive. there are times I miss the old carburetor engines and the manual lash adjustments. I enjoyed changing plug, adjusting the lash and changing the cap and rotor. I still do oil changes. The more you interacted with the car, the more you loved it. I think the more you also respected other cars on the road. TO me, the less the average guy worked on a car, the more it became a tool that just takes them places to do the real things of enjoyment. I have no issue having other interests but having less involvement , I think, has reduced the possibility for the average Joe to enjoy a car - besides driving it. It is only those who modify , these days, who really bond with their car. With electric, it will be like asking, how much love do you have for your dishwasher, vacuum or garbage disposal? Will people still give their cars names ( a symbol of humanizing and expressing their love for Bessy)? I do not show much love for the TV nor the stereo or computer. They are not the same kind of item like a car. A car use to be family. I think that will be gone with electrics too.
This ^^^

As involvement decreases - whether in the maintenance, modification, or actual operation - the tendency to view cars as little more than transportation appliances goes up.

Norm
Sponsored