Question Regarding Oil Test

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
So I'm sending in the oil from my first change to Blackstone. There is an additional test called TBN that costs an extra $10.00. My car is 10 months old and this is its first change. My plan is to do future changes at 5000 but that will most likely mean yearly changes. Should i have this done? Thoughts?

https://www.blackstone-labs.com/do-...abs.net/Bstone/(S(5h2l4n55omr3zo45mu4hnw55))/

Thank you..........
Sponsored

Deleted member 35644

This is a test to determine how well your oil is standing up to oxidation, and resistance to acid production, a by-product of combustion. Acid is an important consideration when deciding how long to leave the oil in the car. However, a year isn't an excessive length of time.

You can pay to know, but I can tell you that every 5,000 miles, or 12 months is good protection for your engine, especially if you're using a "synthetic". I use quotes because the synthetics you see at WalMart are actually highly refined group III oils, which don't meet the purist definition of "synthetic", but it works for marketing.

As an active member of BITOG, I'm always curious why people spend $20+ to test their oil when they can just change it for $25 - $30 and not worry about how it's holding up. It's like paying to have water delivered, to keep your water bill low, IMO.

OP
OP
Bikeman315

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
This is a test to determine how well your oil is standing up to oxidation, and resistance to acid production, a by-product of combustion. Acid is an important consideration when deciding how long to leave the oil in the car. However, a year isn't an excessive length of time.

You can pay to know, but I can tell you that every 5,000 miles, or 12 months is good protection for your engine, especially if you're using a "synthetic". I use quotes because the synthetics you see at WalMart are actually highly refined group III oils, which don't meet the purist definition of "synthetic", but it works for marketing.

As an active member of BITOG, I'm always curious why people spend $20+ to test their oil when they can just change it for $25 - $30 and not worry about how it's holding up. It's like paying to have water delivered, to keep your water bill low, IMO.
Thanks for responding so quickly CB. I've never had oil tested in 50 years of driving but even I'm susceptible to everything I've read regard our Coyote's. Figuring its cheap insurance just in case. Now you have me wondering if I should do it at all.

OP
OP
Bikeman315

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
Thanks Rick. I see you did not have the TBN done. Any specific reason why not?

CS19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
It's more importantly an indicator of the condition of the engine, particularly on the first oil change. I did it to know what was going on after break in. Now, I know.

Attachments

Sponsored

CS19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
What I thought was funny was the Aluminum, Iron, and Chromium were lower than the Universal average even though it was break in oil. High copper is the typical 32 valve stem bushings wearing in.

OP
OP
Bikeman315

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
It's more importantly an indicator of the condition of the engine, particularly on the first oil change. I did it to know what was going on after break in. Now, I know.
The TBN is only important as regards the oil. I was only interested in the engine specifics.
What I thought was funny was the Aluminum, Iron, and Chromium were lower than the Universal average even though it was break in oil. High copper is the typical 32 valve stem bushings wearing in.
Thanks for all the good information. The engine is what I’m concerned about too.

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
I paid for the Blackstone Labs standard and TBN test because I absolutely want to see some numbers and see how they change over time. You also get commentary from someone who looks at the numbers, which I find valuable and worth the cost for my understanding.

See my journal thread for the latest entry as an example.

ArgentumS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium, A10, PP1, Recaros, 07 4Runner V8
Vehicle Showcase
So I'm sending in the oil from my first change to Blackstone. There is an additional test called TBN that costs an extra $10.00. My car is 10 months old and this is its first change. My plan is to do future changes at 5000 but that will most likely mean yearly changes. Should i have this done? Thoughts?

https://www.blackstone-labs.com/do-i-need-a-tbn/?session-id=5h2l4n55omr3zo45mu4hnw55&timeout=20&bslauth=&urlbase=https://www.blackstone-labs.net/Bstone/(S(5h2l4n55omr3zo45mu4hnw55))/

Thank you..........
I'll post my latest oil analysis from my 4Runner. It originally showed back in 2015 that there was higher sodium reading than what would be considered normal. Sodium means coolant...not good. I put in a couple radiator tablets and that seemed to do the job. I don't know if it has a leak or if it was something residual from the previous owner's maintenance. Analysis was able for me to see what was going on and correct the issue...hopefully for good.

full.jpg

Sponsored
OP
OP
Bikeman315

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
I'll post my latest oil analysis from my 4Runner. It originally showed back in 2015 that there was higher sodium reading than what would be considered normal. Sodium means coolant...not good. I put in a couple radiator tablets and that seemed to do the job. I don't know if it has a leak or if it was something residual from the previous owner's maintenance. Analysis was able for me to see what was going on and correct the issue...hopefully for good.

full.jpg
Interesting that your doing this for your 4Runner. What about your Mustang?

ArgentumS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium, A10, PP1, Recaros, 07 4Runner V8
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting that your doing this for your 4Runner. What about your Mustang?
I have only done one oil change on the 5.0 and have no idea what oil was used by the previous owner: weight or brand. I plan on it next time, though to see how the Mobil1 5w30 performed.

CS19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
Good report, so you have a baseline.
Really important, no fuel, water, or antifreeze! For me that part was really important.

mmff88gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible
OK, so got mine back this morning. Nothing to see but it was good for my peace of mind.

Screen Shot 2020-02-11 at 10.39.36 AM.png
I am scheduled to get my oil changed in two days and wanted to pull a sample to send off after I got it warmed up today. The 1/4" tubing that comes with the Blackstone pump seems to hit an obstruction about 4 or 5 inches down the dipstick tube, so I was unable to draw a sample. Are you having oil tested as you drain from the drain plug, or do you have any hints as to the size of tubing I might be able to get down the dipstick tube on a 2019 Coyote?

Thanks for any suggestions.
Sponsored