Centrifugals and Low End Torque

schmeky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I have read some posts where people running different centri's have commented on a seat of the pants felt decrease in low-end torque.

Maintaining the stock low end torque with a centri would be OK, since the mid-range and top-end would be there. Loosing low end torque would not be OK.

I am familiar with the "torque boosters" that are available for the Paxton/Vortech set ups and I understand how they work and see the benefits, albeit with an increase in inlet temp.

Would like to know if in fact anyone has a dyno graph before and after on Paxton/Vortech/Procharger on the low end of the RPM scale, with our without a torque booster.
Sponsored

OP
OP
schmeky

schmeky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I know it will more torque, but not sure on the bottom end.

Bmaughan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2015 procharged mustang gt
I’d say yes… I noticed a slight torque loss at the very bottom of the RPMs but there’s a little reason to stay there on centrifugal car:)
Point being... it’s a small sacrifice for big dividends.

Regarding torque boosters…FWIW In an interview with Eric Radzins (procharger) he comments on how when open to the atmosphere, the energy needed turn centri goes up exponentially...
So efficiency is also a factor to consider.

Sponsored

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
I’d say yes… I noticed a slight torque loss at the very bottom of the RPMs but there’s a little reason to stay there on centrifugal car:)
Point being... it’s a small sacrifice for big dividends.

Regarding torque boosters…FWIW In an interview with Eric Radzins (procharger) he comments on how when open to the atmosphere, the energy needed turn centri goes up exponentially...
So efficiency is also a factor to consider.
Can you elaborate?

OP
OP
schmeky

schmeky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Simply looking for a simple yes or no.

We can leave out E-85 (not in my region), headers, custom tunes, pulley size, gearing, and homogenized milk. :wink:

Sponsored

fuelforfire87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
The difference in low end torque will be neglible NA vs Centri blower. It would be like switching from the stock intake manifold to a Boss 302. I remember when i first Procharged my car. Felt the same down low, but once you get into boost, like at 3.5 or 4k rpm it pulls like a mofo. So its like NA until about 4k rpms and then it hauls a**. Can still roast the tires no problem off the line so no noticible loss in torque for me

Wolvee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
Low end grunt is fun but I don't know any racing that's won at 3500rpm. Half the people dailying PD's can't get a tire to hook for real performance numbers anyway so you'll always be 6 in one hand.. Buy what suits you and don't be afraid to spin it. The RPM's are there, might as well use all of them.

revinto7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 shelby-gt 14 camaro SS 1LE
had 2 cars with positive displacement blowers and 2 with centrifugals and both centrifugals made more hp but less tq .I had more fun and the overall faster cars were my centrifugals ..never was my car slower down low or anywhere in the power band with a centrifugal nor did they heat soak and lose performance like my PD cars did after 3 or 4 runs in a row ..

Bmaughan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2015 procharged mustang gt
Can you elaborate?
Yeah... basically the idea is when “boost” is being let out of the bov, what’s also happening is that the air flow begins to increase dramatically thus increasing the hp needed to actually turn the supercharger. He likened it to opening the windows of your house with the ac on. Haha
Erik recommends only bleeding a pound or two at most... he says anything beyond that is really diminishing the return.

Crackerjack17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
P1sc1 stg. 2 with 4.63" pulley, pump gas. 2017 mt82 3:73 rear. 10:1 compression shortblock. Stock heads/cams. 2018 intake manifold, imrc lockouts.

A slow car compared to many on the forum.

Against a friends 2018 ZL1 camaro...
Sponsored