Dave Pericak speaks a bit about the Mustang's future

turboluke9000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrapped Base Mustang GT
And maybe less prone to actually think about pluses and minuses of a change before just doing it and then saying, "whoops!" ? I can call you young and naive while you call me old and stuck in my ways. Where does it get us?
Maybe more prone to see something new and give it a chance before writing it off as not good because of your preconcieved and outdated ideas of what good is? It does go both ways, absolutely. No one is perfect, and if they are I want to meet them :crackup:

I wouldn't say it's dumb, but I will say that if Ford makes a car that doesn't entertain me I will spend my dollars elsewhere. It's just common sense.

You have every right to do that, but remember that you aren't the only market. People like buying cars like the Subaru WRX, Focus RS, decidedly "un-mustang like" cars. Even the S550 that we all love is a very different car compared to the mustangs of the 60's, and it has sold better than ever.
Sponsored

Copperhead73

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derrick
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Convertible PP1, A10, Mag, B&O, A/E, S&S

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Maybe more prone to see something new and give it a chance before writing it off as not good because of your preconcieved and outdated ideas of what good is? It does go both ways, absolutely. No one is perfect, and if they are I want to meet them :crackup:

You have every right to do that, but remember that you aren't the only market. People like buying cars like the Subaru WRX, Focus RS, decidedly "un-mustang like" cars. Even the S550 that we all love is a very different car compared to the mustangs of the 60's, and it has sold better than ever.
Are you sure?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Mustang

In the 60's Car sales are as follows:

1964: 121,538
1965: 559,451
1966: 607,568
1967: 472,121
1968: 317,404
1969: 299,824

The last 5 years:
2015: 122,349
2016: 105,932
2017: 81,866
2018: 75,842
2019:72,489

the last ten years it has hovered under 100K and closer to the 70,000+ cars

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
Young people don't have money for cars.

Look at the number of hours a young person needs to work to pay for a college education compared to previous generations. The student debt crisis has set young people up for much tighter finances than previous generations.

Even young people who like performance cars largely can't afford them.

This is an economic problem, not a 'latte-sipping hipster' problem, or whatever other drivel you come up with to misguidedly deflect it into an identity politics issue.
I agree with the points made here. And I believe for those who have the financial means, just feel as though their money is spent better elsewhere. ie. traveling, buying homes, entrepreneurship.

Last edited:

Wolfe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
`18 Kona Blue Mustang Ecoboost PP, `10 Nissan GTR
Why does every thread about the future of the mustang somehow devolve into Millenials/Gen-Z are killing cars hysteria?

I'm sure that some of you may not care about the side effects of keeping these cars on the road long term because you'll be dead before the worst of it shows but there have been millions of dollars and hours of research gone into how ICE vehicles are affecting the climate so forgive those who are actually concerned about that future and for supporting initiatives to combat it. I love the V8 as much as anyone else but to deny the inefficiency of the engine in it's current state is ridiculous. That's part of the reason that crowd is flocking to Tesla and that's the reason the Mach-E exists. Ford clearly knows how iconic the Mustang is to their brand and instead of axing it in its current state for not meeting standards, you guys are upset because they'd rather re-engineer it to keep it alive? If they listened to this mind-state, we wouldn't have an actual good automatic transmission or a 4 cylinder engine that outperforms the v8 in the same car from only a few years back.

And sure "younger" people are buying cars less. Inflation is a bitch and the same jobs you could get right out of HS/college that could support a somewhat comfortable lifestyle will only get you the bare minimum. Depending on where you live, having a car payment, insurance, gas, maintenance and sometimes parking is not really worth it in an area where alternatives like ridesharing or even walking/biking is an option. As much as I love my car, I moved to CA for work for 4 years and left it right there in our garage in ATL with only comprehensive coverage as it just didn't make sense to have the area I lived in. With the cost of living in those densely populated metropolitan areas, I could easily see why owning a car, let alone a gas guzzling, v8 coupe with a "backseat," would be pretty low on my priority list so if you're trying to tap into your future car buying market, you need to include the things that would make that investment worth it.

Sponsored

Copperhead73

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derrick
Vehicle(s)
Why does every thread about the future of the mustang somehow devolve into Millenials/Gen-Z are killing cars hysteria?

I'm sure that some of you may not care about the side effects of keeping these cars on the road long term because you'll be dead before the worst of it shows but there have been millions of dollars and hours of research gone into how ICE vehicles are affecting the climate so forgive those who are actually concerned about that future...
Fairly naive to suggest they don't care when most have kids/grandkids. It could just be that along with age comes wisdom and skepticism. Hell, most of us were alive for the previous dozen world's ending.

jpindustrie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford Mustang
Because the Mustang is an old persons car now. Truth hurts for a lot people; enough to try to bend reality (and the law) to your will.

Tesla is popular and valued high because of their product marketing image and the auto driving tech that appeals to the 80% of drivers that plain old just don't want to 'effin' drive. And if they did, they sure as hell don't want to drive last century's tech. And I lump A LOT of the born-before-1975 supposed mustang "performance enthusiasts" crowd right along in that group.

Bottom line is , just like in the 1960s , the 'young' people of today (and again that especially includes the born-before-1975 crowd) do not want to drive the car of the previous generation. Tesla is a masterclass in product marketing because it represents the new, without actually having to deliver sound cars. A lesson that Ford and Porsche will see if they can apply.

Copperhead73

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derrick
Vehicle(s)
I am seeing in the same thread that Millennials don't buy cars because they can't afford them, while they are also flocking to Tesla though they tend to cost much more.

Truth is prolly somewhere in the middle.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr

I'm sure that some of you may not care about the side effects of keeping these cars on the road long term because you'll be dead before the worst of it shows but there have been millions of dollars and hours of research gone into how ICE vehicles are affecting the climate so forgive those who are actually concerned about that future and for supporting initiatives to combat it. I love the V8 as much as anyone else but to deny the inefficiency of the engine in it's current state is ridiculous. That's part of the reason that crowd is flocking to Tesla and that's the reason the Mach-E exists. Ford clearly knows how iconic the Mustang is to their brand and instead of axing it in its current state for not meeting standards, you guys are upset because they'd rather re-engineer it to keep it alive? If they listened to this mind-state, we wouldn't have an actual good automatic transmission or a 4 cylinder engine that outperforms the v8 in the same car from only a few years back.

And sure "younger" people are buying cars less. Inflation is a bitch and the same jobs you could get right out of HS/college that could support a somewhat comfortable lifestyle will only get you the bare minimum. Depending on where you live, having a car payment, insurance, gas, maintenance and sometimes parking is not really worth it in an area where alternatives like ridesharing or even walking/biking is an option. As much as I love my car, I moved to CA for work for 4 years and left it right there in our garage in ATL with only comprehensive coverage as it just didn't make sense to have the area I lived in. With the cost of living in those densely populated metropolitan areas, I could easily see why owning a car, let alone a gas guzzling, v8 coupe with a "backseat," would be pretty low on my priority list so if you're trying to tap into your future car buying market, you need to include the things that would make that investment worth it.

Most people on this site are drawing from their experiences as 20-30 year olds.... from 30-40 YEARS ago and do quite understand that the world has changed.... They do not understand that their generation is no longer the target generation for many/ if not all companies and markets now and that the younger generations have different wants and needs. These needs or wants are not wrong, just different, and anything different from what the status quo was is dangerous and needs to be stopped at all costs!!! :crazy:

Sponsored

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Tesla though they tend to cost much more
Factor in total ownership costs.... A SR Model 3 is cheaper per month that most new cars on the market when accounting for total costs such as maintenance and gas..... But sure lets just look at MSRP only because that tells the full story.... A Tesla has become the aspirational car for younger generations much like how the mustang was for boomers....

Copperhead73

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derrick
Vehicle(s)
Factor in total ownership costs.... A SR Model 3 is cheaper per month that most new cars on the market when accounting for total costs such as maintenance and gas..... But sure lets just look at MSRP only because that tells the full story.... A Tesla has become the aspirational car for younger generations much like how the mustang was for boomers....
Compare a base Tesla to a base Mustang along with cost of ownership and we aren't worlds apart.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Compare a base Tesla to a base Mustang along with cost of ownership and we aren't worlds apart.

Not sure what numbers you are looking at....

My $35k MSRP Model 3 is about $50 cheaper per month than my previous V6 that I bought used for $16.4k.... A new base Mustang is ~$25k....

Copperhead73

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derrick
Vehicle(s)
Not sure what numbers you are looking at....

My $35k MSRP Model 3 is about $50 cheaper per month than my previous V6 that I bought used for $16.4k.... A new base Mustang is ~$25k....
Is $50 a month a big deal? That's only like 7 craft beers.

Wolfe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
`18 Kona Blue Mustang Ecoboost PP, `10 Nissan GTR
Fairly naive to suggest they don't care when most have kids/grandkids. It could just be that along with age comes wisdom and skepticism. Hell, most of us were alive for the previous dozen world's ending.
Tbh you’re probably right. This is a topic that tends to fire me up a bit so I tend to speak on emotion, heh.

I think in the end, people are just so quick to discount what hasn’t even happened yet. I know there’s nothing quite like the sound of a V8 or even using a stick shift but even Ford acknowledges that in things like the prototype EV mustang they showed at SEMA.

Funny, this conversation always brings me to this scene in the dilemma and when I wasn’t even really into cars like I am now.

Obviously not a mustang or an EV but same concept. If the market is there, someone will likely find a way to tap into it even if it’s not the same way it’s been done for the last however many years. It’s called progress.
Sponsored

Last edited: