Square Set Up

Evo42

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT350 - Ruby Red
So I've been considering doing a square setup with my 19 GT350 in regards to the wheels, since it's almost time for me to put new boots on the car. I like Michelin, and it works for me, but the Cup 2's wear out. For DD it's not very practical and the MPS4's seem a bit better on that end. The problem I had, was trying to buy either just a the Super Sport, or the Sport 4's. Every place either had the front sized in one and the rear sizes in the other... unless I bought the Cup 2's. The Sport 4's they had for the rear, so that wasn't a problem. It's more my preference on the road as it is; but it brought up a situation of where I was being forced to mismatch tires if I wanted something other than Cup 2's (but staying with Michelin.)

so my questions are this:

What size tire works best? Should I stay with the 305/35-19's or find something else?

Does the stock rear wheel size translate well in the front? I.E. getting two wheels for the back but using them in the front.

Are spacers needed for using the same rear size in the front?

Do you notice a difference in response that's better or worse with the square set up? (Handling, response, etc.)

What are general recommendations?

I've heard a square setup can help with stability and even understeer. I don't track all that often, but it's definitely something I'd like to accommodate for when it comes up.

Where I live hardly sees ice and snow (Northeast Texas), so that isn't a huge concern. Mostly looking for something that handles good in dry conditions, but won't throw me off in the rain.
Sponsored

jmn444

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
gt350
19x11 square works w/ 50mm offset and a 25mm spacer up front (need longer/stronger studs too!)

not sure if the oem rear would work as well, as it's 62mm offset, which may make it rub the strut but i've never tried that.

you can chose 305/30/19 for more tire choices, but wheel well gap will be larger... I'm opting for FP springs to make it look right w/ the 30 series.

OP
OP
Evo42

Evo42

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
19x11 square works w/ 50mm offset and a 25mm spacer up front (need longer/stronger studs too!)

not sure if the oem rear would work as well, as it's 62mm offset, which may make it rub the strut but i've never tried that.

you can chose 305/30/19 for more tire choices, but wheel well gap will be larger... I'm opting for FP springs to make it look right w/ the 30 series.
That's right. I forgot about the difference in offset. When it comes to wheels, my knowledge isn't that extensive. So I tend to overlook most of this. All this helps to know. Thank you so much.

This is an excellent guide by Apex. I ended up buying their SM-10 wheels for my square track setup. I plan to run cup2 305s all around. Unfortunately, I have not had a track day on them yet so I cannot comment on driving dynamics.

https://support.apexraceparts.com/h...5483093-S550-Mustang-Wheel-Tire-Fitment-Guide
This also helps and gives me a lot of information to look for. I've been thinking about getting new wheels, but that's easier said than done. What looks good, doesn't necessarily perform good. Mostly I think a bronze color would look good with the ruby red on the car; but it would require and entirely different approach to the wheel game which (as previously mentioned) I'm not fully versed in.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack

OEM rear GT350 rims (19x11 ET62) work perfectly with 38mm spacers (I use 35) and GT350R front hubs with the long studs. The 38mm (1-1/2") spacer gives you ET24 (sound familiar?) and remaining length of the long lugs are perfect for stock lug nuts. It's so perfect that you'd think someone at Ford designed it that way.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Evo42

Evo42

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
OEM rear GT350 rims (19x11 ET62) work perfectly with 38mm spacers (I use 35) and GT350R front hubs with the long studs. The 38mm (1-1/2") spacer gives you ET24 (sound familiar?) and remaining length of the long lugs are perfect for stock lug nuts. It's so perfect that you'd think someone at Ford designed it that way.
The hard part is finding the OEM rear wheels at whim. I can't really seem to find the OEM rims for the rear in the 19 model style.

50 Deep

Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Wheel selection in terms of square and square rotatable really comes down to your end goals with the car. The square rotatable 19x11 setups we build at Signature Wheel require longer front studs and a 25mm or more front spacer depending on the camber you run, or how aggressive you want the front wheel track to be. Paired with a 305/30/19 you end up with a 20lb wheel that can go to war. Not to mention the anti-slip bead knurling we can add in.
SV503 GT350 Honeybadger Pt 1-6.jpg

SV503 Matte Bronze Eightlug (15).jpg

We also developed 19x11 or 19x11.5 square non-rotatable setups that bolt directly on to the front and rear of the car. No spacers or specialty lug nuts needed, but we developed titanium lug nuts to fit the need. This only allows you to swap the wheels/tires side to side, but you definitely increase the amount of front grip you can get out of the car. On the 19x11.5 square you can use a 315/30/19 SC2 at all four corners. The car is going to feel extremely planted. Generally these setups come in at 20-23 lbs depending on the wheel design.

SV501 Deep Drop Cup Sahara Brushed Sand GT350R Christian-2.jpg
SV502 FP350S Side Shot.jpg

With the GT500 we are building 20x11.5 square that uses a 315/30/20 and it feels so damn good.

SV801 GT500 Landscape JVizualz (8).jpg

OP
OP
Evo42

Evo42

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
Wheel selection in terms of square and square rotatable really comes down to your end goals with the car. The square rotatable 19x11 setups we build at Signature Wheel require longer front studs and a 25mm or more front spacer depending on the camber you run, or how aggressive you want the front wheel track to be. Paired with a 305/30/19 you end up with a 20lb wheel that can go to war. Not to mention the anti-slip bead knurling we can add in.
SV503 GT350 Honeybadger Pt 1-6.jpg

SV503 Matte Bronze Eightlug (15).jpg

We also developed 19x11 or 19x11.5 square non-rotatable setups that bolt directly on to the front and rear of the car. No spacers or specialty lug nuts needed, but we developed titanium lug nuts to fit the need. This only allows you to swap the wheels/tires side to side, but you definitely increase the amount of front grip you can get out of the car. On the 19x11.5 square you can use a 315/30/19 SC2 at all four corners. The car is going to feel extremely planted. Generally these setups come in at 20-23 lbs depending on the wheel design.

SV501 Deep Drop Cup Sahara Brushed Sand GT350R Christian-2.jpg
SV502 FP350S Side Shot.jpg

With the GT500 we are building 20x11.5 square that uses a 315/30/20 and it feels so damn good.

SV801 GT500 Landscape JVizualz (8).jpg
You had to hit me with the exact color of the car and wheels I was looking for right up at the top. She looks amazing, too. Exactly how I envisioned it.

You say the 19x11.5 you offer is a direct fitment without spacers for a square set up? I do not mind that I cannot rotate and swap around. So long as I can buy 4 of the same tires all in the same size. A weird issue since Michelin is apparently phasing out the Super Sport... and possibly the 4s? The former I knew about. The latter was interesting to find that no one in the area could get a hold of a 295/35-19 (or was it the 295/30-19? I can't remember.)

If the 19x11.5 is a direct fitment and more aggressive, then I'm definitely interested in that. A little poke is fine with me if it happens. Interchangeability of wheel placement is not a concern.

Last edited:

50 Deep

Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
You had to hit me with the exact color of the car and wheels I was looking for right up at the top. She looks amazing, too. Exactly how I envisioned it.

You say the 19x11.5 you offer is a direct fitment without spacers for a square set up? I do not mind that I cannot rotate and swap around. So long as I can buy 4 of the same tires all in the same size. A weird issue since Michelin is apparently phasing out the Super Sport... and possibly the 4s? The former I knew about. The latter was interesting to find that no one in the area could get a hold of a 295/35-19 (or was it the 295/30-19? I can't remember.)

If the 19x11.5 is a direct fitment and more aggressive, then I'm definitely interested in that. A little poke is fine with me if it happens. Interchangeability of wheel placement is not a concern.
The 19x11.5 we can build with or without poke. Depending on the amount of camber you plan to run I can adjust the offsets based on what the final form of the car will be.

The latest I have is more tires will be available in March/April. But the 315-30-19 SC2 should be attainable without much fuss.

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
So I've been considering doing a square setup with my 19 GT350 in regards to the wheels, since it's almost time for me to put new boots on the car. I like Michelin, and it works for me, but the Cup 2's wear out. For DD it's not very practical and the MPS4's seem a bit better on that end. The problem I had, was trying to buy either just a the Super Sport, or the Sport 4's. Every place either had the front sized in one and the rear sizes in the other... unless I bought the Cup 2's. The Sport 4's they had for the rear, so that wasn't a problem. It's more my preference on the road as it is; but it brought up a situation of where I was being forced to mismatch tires if I wanted something other than Cup 2's (but staying with Michelin.)

so my questions are this:

What size tire works best? Should I stay with the 305/35-19's or find something else?

Does the stock rear wheel size translate well in the front? I.E. getting two wheels for the back but using them in the front.

Are spacers needed for using the same rear size in the front?

Do you notice a difference in response that's better or worse with the square set up? (Handling, response, etc.)

What are general recommendations?

I've heard a square setup can help with stability and even understeer. I don't track all that often, but it's definitely something I'd like to accommodate for when it comes up.

Where I live hardly sees ice and snow (Northeast Texas), so that isn't a huge concern. Mostly looking for something that handles good in dry conditions, but won't throw me off in the rain.
I was thinking of doing the same thing with my R, a square and rotatable setup... but then I thought more on how often I would rotate the tires, considering it is for street use only (I track with my CF wheels and cup 2's ), and answer is probably never... So I don't see a reason to go square if you cannot rotate.
As far as tires go, you can go 305 in the rear no problem if you select the 4s tires, as they are as wide as a 315 in Cup2 flavor ( just check the tirerack specs ). Other good tires are Conti's Contisports which can be had in 325 /30 and they have similar poke or stance as the 315's in michelin, they are a bit narrower. It is what I decided to get 305/30 in front and 325/30 in the rear...

Good luck either way.
Sponsored