gimmie11s

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Murica!
Increased amount of turbine blade area over which conditions are optimal for expanding hot exhaust gas and extracting mechanical energy during the process the gas is cooled.
The smaller the turbine blade, the faster the gas transitions thru this interface and wwwaaayy more difficult to extract as well as optimize thermodynamics at any one particular flow rate.

Automotive turbine sections may be 14-24% thermodynamically efficiency.
Newest massive power plant turbine sections are 200% more efficient.

https://www.google.com/search?q=tur...ency&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari

The “pressure ratio” is related to efficiency.
Makes sense but with that logic it would seem twins would allow for less exhaust pressure vs. trying to force 8 cylinders of exhaust through one turbine housing and across one wheel.

Same reason dual exhaust is generally preferred for power output vs. a larger single pipe. Take 4" single exhaust vs. dual 3" for example. The dual 3" has more area for flow than a single 4" (14.13 sq in to 12.56 sq in), secondly the dual 3" has much more surface area than the single 4" (18.84 inches to 12.56 inches).

I guess the best way would be to measure exhaust pressure on each.
Sponsored

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
This is the crazy part of turbines:
The thermal efficiency is the measure of how much work as shaft power is derived as a result of COOLING the exhaust gas by controlled expansion.

Any shaft power from a pressure drop across the turbine WITHOUT cooling is pure parasitic load on the engine pistons due to back pressure.

In other words: A larger turbine is able to extract more heat and thus more power for the compressor wheel, while allowing LOWER back pressure (less pressure drop).

So if you measure the before and after exhaust temperatures at the same flow rate (same crank horsepower), you will find the larger single turbo cools the air more than two smaller turbos.

Same reason there are no new 4 engine commercial airliners: 2 larger engines are more efficient.

Mike K.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GTPP
You guys think with a 2.5 exhaust w no cats 700 rwhp is possible on 93 using the 55s ? Same for E-85 ?

Sponsored

Mike K.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GTPP

Shewantsthe5oh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red Mustang GT, 2014 Black Jeep SRT
What about 800whp on 93 / E85 on the 55mm? I have access to both. Also what kind of fuel system would you need for that.

Mike K.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GTPP
What about 800whp on 93 / E85 on the 55mm? I have access to both. Also what kind of fuel system would you need for that.
Just went through this myself, somehow convinced myself that to grab a fore return style and some 1300x injectors. Definitely wanna monitor that pressure

3beeps

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT
I'm making 900+whp with the 55s. E85, Sai Li dual pump return style fuel system, ID1050X.

Sponsored