Sponsored

A10 humming noise when shifting

Storm728

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt
I've been getting this humming noise that almost sounds like a semi-trucks brakes when my car shifts up or down. This only occurs at a specific temperature, about halfway between dead cold and fully warmed up ~200F. It is very difficult to replicate for this reason, but I have not noticed any change in driving operation. This seems to have occurred right after I put on long tubes and hawk front pads. I originally thought it was from the cooler lines touching the Steeda K brace so I put some rubber hose over the lines to insulate them from vibrating but this did nothing. Anyone out there experience something similar? Hope I don't need a new transmission, I still have ptsd from lemon lawing my 18 lol.
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
A brand new or super low mile 10R80 will have a very pronounced “whine” to it due to the design of the internal gear clusters. It’s completely normal and Ford issued a TSB on the subject. That TSB can be found within the thread below:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...ost-recent-tsb’s-in-here.102918/#post-2336328

The whine is noticeable sometimes and other times not. It is more present in the lower gearing. It will start to subside when you accrue more miles on the trans.

I have clicked over 36k and sometimes can still here the whine on mine.

—-

There should not be any squealing or “air brake” sounds coming from it though - if that’s the semi-truck reference to the noise you are hearing.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
There should not be any squealing or “air brake” sounds coming from it though - if that’s the semi-truck reference to the noise you are hearing.
My whine is a bit like a supercharger, but there is a kind of "airiness" to it too, I wouldn't _not_ say it sounds like an air brake[?]

FWIW, I don't pay it any mind, it runs great, I like all the mechanical noises it makes :sunglasses:

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
My whine is a bit like a supercharger, but there is a kind of "airiness" to it too, I wouldn't _not_ say it sounds like an air brake[?]

FWIW, I don't pay it any mind, it runs great, I like all the mechanical noises it makes :sunglasses:

^^^^ The Supercharger reference to the sound of a 10R80 whine is spot on. Some owners have also referred to it as a “hiss”.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
^^^^ The Supercharger reference to the sound of a 10R80 whine is spot on. Some owners have also referred to it as a “hiss”.
Ahh, yeah, "hiss" that's it (it's tricky to describe a sound). Sounds like (pun intended ...) my car is producing sounds that are expected :)

Sponsored

Copperhead73

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derrick
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Convertible PP1, A10, Mag, B&O, A/E, S&S
I posted this a few months back, but no one replied to the thread. There is an embedded youtube video from my car. https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/anyone-recognize-this-noise-not-a-tick.132212/

The dealership said it was normal and referenced the TSB that talks about A10 noise. It has gotten louder and happens more often on mine as I have added miles. At 5500 now. I first noticed it around 1k. It happens when the tranny shifts up or down, automatically or manually, between 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7. I haven't noticed it outside of that range. It comes and goes, but doesn't seem to be related to temperature, speed, or how long the car has been running. It sounds to me like a pump cavitating when it picks up air, but the dealership SAID they checked the fluid and it was at the correct level. When it makes the noise, I can feel it through the gas pedal.

I do not think my sound is what the TSB is referencing, but the dealership said when it fails it will be covered by warranty. I hope it fails in the next couple of years :/

OP
OP
Storm728

Storm728

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt
I posted this a few months back, but no one replied to the thread. There is an embedded youtube video from my car. https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/anyone-recognize-this-noise-not-a-tick.132212/

The dealership said it was normal and referenced the TSB that talks about A10 noise. It has gotten louder and happens more often on mine as I have added miles. At 5500 now. I first noticed it around 1k. It happens when the tranny shifts up or down, automatically or manually, between 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7. I haven't noticed it outside of that range. It comes and goes, but doesn't seem to be related to temperature, speed, or how long the car has been running. It sounds to me like a pump cavitating when it picks up air, but the dealership SAID they checked the fluid and it was at the correct level. When it makes the noise, I can feel it through the gas pedal.

I do not think my sound is what the TSB is referencing, but the dealership said when it fails it will be covered by warranty. I hope it fails in the next couple of years :/
this is what mine sounds like. It is independent of the regular whine noise. I haven't had my fluid checked yet. I data logged and saw the line pressure jumping to 246psi every shift, not sure if this is high or not and could be causing the noise.

Copperhead73

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derrick
Vehicle(s)
this is what mine sounds like. It is independent of the regular whine noise. I haven't had my fluid checked yet. I data logged and saw the line pressure jumping to 246psi every shift, not sure if this is high or not and could be causing the noise.
Are you going to take it in to a dealership? I'm curious to know what they tell you. I mean, it is loud enough that people who ride with me are concerned something is about to break. You are the first person I have talked to that recognizes the sound. As I said in the other thread, my friend who is a Chevy Service Writer rode with me and had never heard the sound in the Camaro A10's.

OP
OP
Storm728

Storm728

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt
Are you going to take it in to a dealership? I'm curious to know what they tell you. I mean, it is loud enough that people who ride with me are concerned something is about to break. You are the first person I have talked to that recognizes the sound. As I said in the other thread, my friend who is a Chevy Service Writer rode with me and had never heard the sound in the Camaro A10's.
Ill probably check the fluid and if thats good im not sure. dealer left a bad taste in my mouth last time around. Id rather wait until something breaks or becomes extremely obvious.

Deleted member 35644

It's definitely a whiner, and there's always a weird mechanical buzz noise when it shifts. When I enter the parking garage in Sport mode, it pretty much locks in 2nd gear all the way down to the basement, as I never go fast enough for it to shift, and the whine comes through loud and clear in that quiet garage, with the radio & climate control off. It's particularly loud when coasting downhill in a low gear.

Sponsored

Copperhead73

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derrick
Vehicle(s)
Ill probably check the fluid and if thats good im not sure. dealer left a bad taste in my mouth last time around. Id rather wait until something breaks or becomes extremely obvious.
I hear you. I have stopped going to my old dealer--which has become a clown show--and started with another that has been good. It's just a little further away.

I didn't ask the new dealer about the noise yet, but will next time I am in. Let us know what you find with the fluid. It is a PITA to check, as I understand it.

OP
OP
Storm728

Storm728

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt
It's definitely a whiner, and there's always a weird mechanical buzz noise when it shifts. When I enter the parking garage in Sport mode, it pretty much locks in 2nd gear all the way down to the basement, as I never go fast enough for it to shift, and the whine comes through loud and clear in that quiet garage, with the radio & climate control off. It's particularly loud when coasting downhill in a low gear.
This is independent of the regular while. Check copperheads video of the sound, its much louder and really resonates in the cabin.

Copperhead73

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derrick
Vehicle(s)
This is independent of the regular while. Check copperheads video of the sound, its much louder and really resonates in the cabin.
Yeah, this only happens during shifting.

Colin1337

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1, 2015 VW GTI PP
I know this thread is super old, but did either of you guys figure out what this nose is because I have the exact same thing. Part of me believes it’s from the Steeda G-trac since I believe we all have or had that. I never noticed the noise until that brace was in the car but it definitely feels/sounds like it’s coming from a pump in the transmission.

Copperhead73

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derrick
Vehicle(s)
I know this thread is super old, but did either of you guys figure out what this nose is because I have the exact same thing. Part of me believes it’s from the Steeda G-trac since I believe we all have or had that. I never noticed the noise until that brace was in the car but it definitely feels/sounds like it’s coming from a pump in the transmission.
Mine did it while the car was bone stock and still does it today. But I've got 45k miles on it with no trouble, so I tend to believe it's just noise.
Sponsored