Can you drive a stick?

Teej

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
TJ
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 401A, PP2 & 2017 Mazda 6 6spd
First car I bought was a stick shift because I wanted to drive a manual. Had to have my dad do the test driving and then I learned over that weekend how to drive one. Been driving a stick ever since except for 1 car I had for awhile just because I needed a car. Otherwise I will only buy a stick shift unless they don't exist in a car I Want. And then if they don't exist, I would be seriously considering if I really want that car. Heck, my daily driver is a Mazda 6 6-speed manual. Found the color and options I wanted and everything. Dealer wasn't even sure they had them on the lot. MY PP2 I ordered because I wanted it my way with my options and because I plan to keep it a long time. Yes auto may be faster but I didn't buy this car to be the fastest. I 100% prefer driving a stick over an auto no matter what and I will continue to do so until they no longer offer manuals, which some day, will most likely be the case.
Sponsored

JohnDoe

<3 short walks to my car
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 pp vert
I learned manuals on motorcycles first, but when I tried it in a car, I just didn’t like it. The clutch is no longer a finger squeeze for me but my entire leg and it’s just doesn’t feel as fun as on a bike. Especially when most of your commute is city traffic.

I got the auto vert to relax, not to cramp my leg up. If I really want to feel one with the machine, I’d just hop on a bike.

Last edited:

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
I learned how to use a clutch by riding dirt bikes. My first car was a stick that I learned how to drive on the way back home from the dealer. I only buy automatics when a stick is not available.

Personally I think you should drive what you want to drive. There is no right or wrong here.

Last edited:

onlyturbo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rony
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP M6spd, 2016 Audi S4 (Sold)., 2009 Subaru STI (Sold), 2003 SAAB Aero (Sold)
I love and prefer manual transmissions, a must for me in a sport car. Has nothing to do with being fast, just makes the car much more engaging, to me driving an automatic sport car is boring.

Don't get me wrong, there is definitely a place for automatics, as a comuter car for example.

2 of my 3 girls are currently driving manual transmission cars, and they enjoy it! The third one is 18, I will teach her how to drive a manual as well at some point, and she can decide on what she likes more...

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I learned to drive a stick in a 1970(?) VW Beetle. 60 HP? In 40 years of driving, I have only used a stick maybe 10 times. I never got the appeal of it.
I learned in an old Beetle as well and I can't stand driving vehicles with an automatic transmission. Sooo boring.

That Beetle was fun to drive IMO. Great car.

Sponsored

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS convertible
Well while we're at it, can you cold start a carbureted motor with no choke? Just sayin. It's a good skill to have, driving a stick, and lots of people prefer it. Wouldn't refuse buy a particular car because it had an automatic - when you're looking for the right car, you take what you can find. The almost free blower on the '16 was a no brainer. Holding out for a stick wasn't the way to go on that one.

Purerock105

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350, 17 Raptor
Old guy here, but I like many of my generation(X) learned how to drive on a stick.

So, endless forms of manuals, some on the column too and I drive BIG trucks with 10 and 14 speeds, but aren't synchronized. I haven't run into a clutch vehicle that I eventually couldn't figure out.

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
At one point I taught myself to shift clutchless in my old GT by matching the engine and trans speeds. That was fun.

CompOrangeFanatic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium /2019 Toyota Camry XSE V6
It must be a generational thing. I'm trying to get my 16 year old to want and learn how to drive my car, but he seems very hesitant in doing so. He tried moving it in the driveway awhile back and kept stalling it out or completely over revving it. He seems almost scared to try it. I keep asking him if he wants to try and learn especially before I go forced induction with the car, but all I hear is crickets. He has his own car know and its an automatic. I don't know....when I grew up I learned on a stick and that was that. My wife can drive a stick and will drive my Mustang on occasion and loves it. She even loves it more with the short throw MGW I recently got installed.

JohnDoe

<3 short walks to my car
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 pp vert
It must be a generational thing. I'm trying to get my 16 year old to want and learn how to drive my car, but he seems very hesitant in doing so. He tried moving it in the driveway awhile back and kept stalling it out or completely over revving it. He seems almost scared to try it. I keep asking him if he wants to try and learn especially before I go forced induction with the car, but all I hear is crickets. He has his own car know and its an automatic. I don't know....when I grew up I learned on a stick and that was that. My wife can drive a stick and will drive my Mustang on occasion and loves it. She even loves it more with the short throw MGW I recently got installed.
Get him an old 250cc motorcycle to start with. That will ingrain the workings of a manual transmission in his head.

Sponsored

Big Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda6
I can drive a stick as long as my dad is not sitting shotgun haha.

My dad tried teaching me to drive a stick in a 66 Oldsmobile 442, and then again in his 07 GT500. Needless to say I was terrified of making a mistake in either car. However a friend of mine had a early 90s civic with a 5-speed and I could drive that no problem. Haven't driven a stick in years though. Took a Focus ST for a test drive and was a little rusty lol

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
At one point I taught myself to shift clutchless in my old GT by matching the engine and trans speeds. That was fun.
Yeah, I had to do that in the Terminator last year when the #&$$&%#!! clutch cable snapped for the 3rd time. Good thing the starter was strong enough to get the car rolling and start the motor in first gear. Reverse.....not going that way....lol

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
After wanting a mustang from a young age, when it came time to buy one I specifically learned how to drive stick since everyone says its better for these cars.

Unpopular opinion but personally I just didn't like it. I found it more of a pain in the ass than anything. I guess I'm too lazy to find it enjoyable lol. Auto for me

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Good thing the starter was strong enough to get the car rolling and start the motor in first gear.
no need for that. assuming you're on flat ground, press the shifter against 1st gear and the car will start to roll and then pop in. Not a fast accel by any means though.

I'm pretty sure with all the modern interlocks you can NOT do the starter thing to move the car. That is an utter sin, IMO.

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
@Shogun, yeah for sure using the starter to get rolling isn't good for the car at all. It's a last ditch gotta, get home now thing only. I may have to take a test drive at a dealer to see if your theory about modern interlocks holds up. New cars definitely start a lot easier than even 15 year old ones. FWIW, you have to push the clutch pedal to the floor on a Terminator to run the starter even with a broken cable.
Sponsored