Sponsored

Daily Driver

• Thread starter Deleted member 35644
  • Start date
  • Watchers 9

Deleted member 35644

Seems every time I wash the Mustang, I find a new rock chip or some blemish picked up by using the car to commute to work. Even had to replace the windshield after some large projectile destroyed it a few months ago. Call me crazy, but I really love this car, and want it to stay nice, so I went out and bought a 'sacrificial lamb' to slug back and forth to work in.

Is this obsessive? Anyone else park the Mustang and treat themselves to a drive in it once in a while, rather than beat the crap out of it every day as a commuter car? Probably could've found a better use for the cash, but just got sick of seeing new damage every week.

Meet Sheila....the glossy redhead that's been around the block. One owner, an elderly gentleman who recently passed away, 130,000 garaged-kept miles, maintained very well, and kept very clean (except the engine, which had 10 years of built-up filth). New tires, fluid changes, and a thorough cleaning, and she's ready for commuting duty.
3.2.jpg
3.3.jpg
3.4.jpg
Sponsored

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
You're not alone. After 4 years of mostly highway commuting (about 90km/day) in my 2014 Fusion it's clear the toll it takes on a car. The front looks like it was sand blasted. I can never keep it clean either. One trip to work and back and it's filthy and covered in bugs, dust, and bird shite.

When I started thinking about buying a Mustang, I contemplated how and when I would enjoy the car. Having 2 cars is the best when you want to keep one car looking nice. My Stang parks in the garage, and comes out for joy rides in nice weather. It's amazing how clean it will stay when it's not parked outside or in the dusty parking lot at work. I only wash it every 2 weeks to keep it looking fresh and clean. Plus I save on gas driving the Fusion and it's nice to be able to seat 4 people comfortably when the need arises.

So here's :beer: to sacrificial lambs and shiny red-heads! :inlove:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I completely get why you don't want the car you love to get worn out.

However, my philosophy is to drive a car I love to drive as much as possible. I bought a 15 year old car recently and I find it freeing. The paint has some chips and swirl marks. A guy at work offered to help with improving the finish on the car and I'm not sure if I want him to. I kind of prefer to have an imperfect vehicle.

You are paying for the car and it will depreciate in value no matter what you do. I understand it's painful to see scratches, chips, etc. on the car you love, but my advice is to try to overcome those feelings and concentrate more on the enjoyment you are getting from driving the car.

Smokey613

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Convertible Race Red
Vehicle Showcase
That’s the main reason we got a 2015 CPO vert with 31K. We were able to get into a nice one and yes, it has it’s share of chips, nicks and bug damage but I finally got over my car obsession years ago. Now I just drive it and deal with the damage. Once a month I go over the chips and touch them up. I keep it clean but I am not worrying about a few paint swirls or imperfections. Life is way too short for that on a DD or any car for that matter. This coming from the guy that has washed his car four times in one day in my “previous” life. My wakeup was prostate cancer and the realization that some things just don’t matter as much anymore.

We did get a Ford Triple Care 5yr protection. Unlimited PDR for up to 4” door dings for 5 years with first day rental. I doubt we will have it for five years but it and the Ford Premium ESP 8yr/100K is transferable and may make it easier to sell.

70B6AD43-EF4A-426F-872D-CC1C6AC4A131.jpeg

Shane361

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Vehicle(s)
2015 Competition Orange Procharged GT
Vehicle Showcase
I understand completely, although I would get rid of the Mustang before my Truck,
Truck.jpg

Sponsored

302@12psi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kona PP2 Recaros
I have a daily driver but I try to stay realistic with my Mustang. Yes I want it to look nice but the reality is in ten years I'm going to sell it and it's only going to be worth X amount. The difference between a ultra clean car and a well cared for car isn't worth the hassle.

TnWHTMARE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
Nope, not obsessive. Theres always an irreconcilable conflict between wanting to drive our cars that we enjoy and at the same time trying to preserve them. I think that balance looks different for everyone. Some of us will have a more aesthetically preserved car in 5 years and some of us will have had more fun in that same amount of time. Each one has its realities. I for one chose to have a DD also. There are alot of times I know there is alot of crap on the road from construction or i'm just trying to keep the miles down a bit on the Mustang. Plus, if I'm doing project on it, I dont have to worry about transportation and I can take my time. :)

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I've got PPF on both my Mustang and my Accord. Great way to protect the front end from all the junk and not having to sit and touch up the front end from rock chips. I've got almost 11,000 miles in two years on my 17 GT while my Accord is just over 10.3k in a little over one.

Braski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Traded 2015 Blk GT Prem PP on 2019 Corvette GS 2LT M7
Vehicle Showcase
I'm 50/50 in between my old truck and the mustang. Within the next year or two I planning on upgrading my truck but I still plan on the 50/50 arrangement!

Braski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Traded 2015 Blk GT Prem PP on 2019 Corvette GS 2LT M7
Vehicle Showcase
Here's the only bling shot of my truck. This was after I filled the rust holes in with expandable foam, then shaved it down and painted the whole bottom with bed liner! It's nice having a second vehicle that doesn't need washed when the other is a BLACK mustang!!:rockon:
20181013_141515.jpg
Screenshot_20181230-081623_Gallery.jpg

Sponsored

lostlocalhost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 EBP PP MR
Vehicle Showcase
I daily my Black mustang.
I shouldn't.
I only have Ceramic Coating.
Haiku.

After 2 years, it's pretty bad. She's a 10 foot beauty.

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 California Special A10
Look around at the stoplights, find a 10 year old Mustang (2010). Look at condition, would you consider buying the average 10 year Mustang. In 10 years our cars will be outdated old looking cars. People buy them now to mod up as daily drivers or new drivers wanting something cheap and fun.

The only nice ones will be cars and coffee cars.

As mentioned, that lose value sitting or moving.

If you can afford to garage to lose interest in later and sell at a great loss. Then don't drive it. If you want good memories then drive it and drive it daily.

Purerock105

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350, 17 Raptor
98-Corvette
16-HellCat Charger
17-Shelby GT350
20-Durango SRT

The 5500lb soccer mom SUV is technically the DD, but I try to drive all 4 equally.

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Looking for a cheap daily currently. I don’t need it, but damn do I want it.

Hoping to get back in a Jeep.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Look around at the stoplights, find a 10 year old Mustang (2010). Look at condition, would you consider buying the average 10 year Mustang. In 10 years our cars will be outdated old looking cars. People buy them now to mod up as daily drivers or new drivers wanting something cheap and fun.

The only nice ones will be cars and coffee cars.

As mentioned, that lose value sitting or moving.

If you can afford to garage to lose interest in later and sell at a great loss. Then don't drive it. If you want good memories then drive it and drive it daily.
I've been looking at older cars and at prices. A 10 year old car with 6,000 miles can cost 50% more than one with 30,000 miles (from a dealer). I'm not interested in buying a car that's been sitting too much and I don't want to pay so much extra for essentially the same thing (minus a few scratches).

I think the market for an older car that's hardly used is a small one - unless the car is collectible.
Sponsored