Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
  • Banned
From your guys experience, what is the best gripping summer Tire to lay the power down? I've been hearing a lot of things about the Toyo r888r. But somebody else recommended the Pirelli P Zeros. What's your guys take on this?
Sponsored

Vstang2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
I like my Cooper RS3-S in 285/35/19. I'm a 2019 non PP thou with MT and only Intake and catback mods , they grip well for me

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
From your guys experience, what is the best gripping summer Tire to lay the power down? I've been hearing a lot of things about the Toyo r888r. But somebody else recommended the Pirelli P Zeros. What's your guys take on this?
Anthony, please help us out here a little. What size wheels/tires do you have? Squared or staggered? Drag strip, road course, or canyon carving? price range? Any specific requirements?

By the way, Pirelli P-Zero's, just no.

BRUMBE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT convertible ruby red
Anthony, please help us out here a little. What size wheels/tires do you have? Squared or staggered? Drag strip, road course, or canyon carving? price range? Any specific requirements?

By the way, Pirelli P-Zero's, just no.
I live on the east coast of Australia where its 'summer' all year. My 2017 GT convertible came with Pirelli P-Zeros which lasted only 26,000 km of sensible driving and were disappointing. Re-shod with Michelin Pilot Sport 4s which ran longer and performed better (and which Ford Australia put on the next version of the Mustang). Recently put on the Michelins again and remain happy with them. I agree with the comment above - do not go with the Pirellis.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
If you're looking for pure grip regardless of wear rating, look at Toyos R888, Michelin Sport Cup2, Bridgestone RE 71R, BFG Rival S .

PZero or I tany Cooper is nowhere near best grip category.

If you want decent grip with decent wear - Michelin PS4S, Conti ECS.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Coyotes55086

Coyotes55086

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
  • Banned
I just got my car this December . so when I bought it it came with winter tires on it . I have no summers for it at all yes . Suspension is still stock . So I was thinking going 19 rim and maybe 9" tire front and doing 19 rim and 10.5 tire in the back . Dont think I'd be able to fit 11" tire in the back from what I understand ?

Eventually I'd like to twin turbo the car so grip would probably be most important for me to lay that power down

TomCat0197

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium Ruby Red
I just got my car this December . so when I bought it it came with winter tires on it . I have no summers for it at all yes . Suspension is still stock . So I was thinking going 19 rim and maybe 9" tire front and doing 19 rim and 10.5 tire in the back . Dont think I'd be able to fit 11" tire in the back from what I understand ?

Eventually I'd like to twin turbo the car so grip would probably be most important for me to lay that power down
With proper offsets, you can absolutely put a 19x11 in the rear.

I run 19x10 at all 4 corners 35mm offset.
Going to get a pair of 19x11 50mm offset to match. Lots of pics in the wheels and tires subforum to look at.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60

OK, so not all the answers needed but here is some input. Gave you two sizes for comparison. PP1 & PP2 I left them all on here so you can see which ones to stay away from. There are of course more, but these are the ones offered by Tire Rack.

If cost is no object, Michelin or Conti. Best value tire is the Firestone. Cannot comment on Toyo as I've never had them. Good luck with whatever you chose.

Screen Shot 2020-02-08 at 10.32.16 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-02-08 at 10.32.58 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-02-08 at 10.35.01 PM.png

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Honestly the Firestone Indy’s are where it’s at unless you demand Michelin status tire.

I absolutely love mine and they blow the Perelli’s out of the water. Those were a crap ass tire.

They wear very well despite not having a tread ware warranty. They’re a 300 treadwear tire but they don’t grip like one.. grip like a 240 IMO. It’s controllable when they reach the limit.

OP
OP
Coyotes55086

Coyotes55086

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
So just to make sure I'm doing this right. Can you have a 30 offset in the front and 35 in the back?

Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
You can’t ask a question about fit and offset without giving the wheel width. Offset is meaningless without knowing the other dimensions of the wheel.

As for what grip well, KZ has a good list for you. The 180-200TW “extreme performance” summer tire category tires are more grippy than the ~300TW “max performance” tires on average.

Tires are a tradeoff between grip and treadwear. You could run Hoosier A7 racing slicks if you wanted to. I’ve daily driven slicks in the past for periods and its a riot, just pray it doesn’t rain on you.

so how many miles do YOU need to get out of a set of tires, and what’s your budget? That will help us determine what tires would suit your needs.

qwiknotch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damon
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 Mustang GT, 1990 Mustang LX
Vehicle Showcase
So just to make sure I'm doing this right. Can you have a 30 offset in the front and 35 in the back?
I have 20x9.5 40mm with 275/35 and 20x11 50mm with 305/35 Continental EX Contact Sports all around. Car makes around 850rwhp and is manageable even under full throttle. Traction is definitely better when the sun is out
Sponsored