Sponsored

Probably buying this '15 GT which was rear ended, got the repair order, should I be concerned?

Eranger12

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
Gremlin
Hello all, just joined the forum. After searching for a GT that's the right color, options, price, miles, carfax etc I think I found it. I'm going to look at it tomorrow.

Carfax lists one rear end accident. The Ford dealership selling it is the same dealership that did the accident repairs about a year ago. I got them to send me the repair order which I attached (if ya'll can't see it please let me know).

I'm not exactly sure what every item is but I don't see frame or suspension damage which obviously would be a red flag.

If anyone with experience can chime in regarding if this looks minor, if I should be concerned etc I'd appreciate it.
17CBDBC9-E409-4238-BD37-E4F7C2A68719.jpeg
Sponsored

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
That says page 4, so not exactly sure what we are looking at. Do you have the repair totals? For reference, my 2018 was rear ended by a Buick SUV at a stoplight. Total repair on my car was $5,500. I don't consider any of the damage to be detrimental to any aspect of my car (other than it showing up on a Carfax). Here's a couple pics.

full.png

full.png

Deleted member 35644

I wasn't concerned until I reached the Floor pan repair. Just speaking for myself, I'd pass on that.

Reactions: GOM
OP
OP

Eranger12

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
Gremlin
Thank you, was told thats all the work that was done.

I noticed floor pan as well, I'm unsure how big of a red flag that is. Considering airbags not deployed and no frame or suspension damage, I'm taking an uneducated guess that it wasn't a massive collision.

Deleted member 35644

Probably not, but when you start bending or deforming things that are part of the unibody, or bonded to it, everything attached to it it potentially affected. Body gaps, glass mounting.....the list is endless. I can deal with some bumper bar damage, and all the plastic on the outside can be destroyed without affecting anything, but this would cause me to walk.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Eranger12

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
Gremlin
10-4 I appreciate it

jcl78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium / PP1 / MT-82
Vehicle Showcase
Probably not, but when you start bending or deforming things that are part of the unibody, or bonded to it, everything attached to it it potentially affected. Body gaps, glass mounting.....the list is endless. I can deal with some bumper bar damage, and all the plastic on the outside can be destroyed without affecting anything, but this would cause me to walk.
I concur with this if you need another opinion, definitely walk.

OP
OP

Eranger12

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
Gremlin
Appreciate it guys, I pressed them a bit and the floor pan listed was a portion of the trunk floor housing the spare

Stone pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
17 Mustang GT/CS
1st that says supplements summary, i.e. additions after 1st inspection. That said a quality repair can be performed, as others mentioned...closely inspect it. Color match, gaps, trunk closure, tail light fit. Look under the carpet in spare tire area. Remember this will always follow the car, even if repaired well. So a very good buy would be a necessity, basically a wholesale price on a retail purchase. Good luck.

17Magnetic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 premium mustang gt black accent package
Yeah definetly a major pass that’s what i would call major damage. To do the floor pan they would have to cut it out and weld it back in hence the weld through primer. It might have been done right but why buy a car that’s been in accident unless it’s significantly discounted.

Sponsored

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Big question is what’s the price, mileage and how long do you plan to keep it? If you decide to proceed I would ask them to throw it on the alignment rack and give you the specs.

I personally would walk but if you’re ok with knowing the prev damage and it’s a long term deal then you may come out ahead. Just remember resale is always going to take a hit.

The dealer seems to be willing to work. Most will say it was in a minor accident and leave it at that.

ManyfordsnoMustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT convertible Magnetic 10 spd auto loaded; '04 Maruader SC, 1970 442 W30 Convertible, 2014 Fusion Energi
I will say the last two cars I purchased had minor damage on them. One a rear bumper and one a front fender. Took both to my mechanic and a body shop, both said the cars were repaired extremely well and were good to buy especially at the price I was getting them for. Since they were already used cars, all it did was lower the price even more for me. I agree double check the trunk and back end alignment. Make sure you test drive it and take it over a bumpy road and some railroad crossings.

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Yeah.. maybe watch it go down the road. Wouldn’t want to see this:

upload_2020-2-6_20-38-44.gif

offcamber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Magnetic GT - Premium/PP
The price is very important in any case where there have been repairs and a resale. Damage to the rear of an S550 is much better than damage to the front or sides when it comes to vital components like the engine or chassis. The spare tire section of the floor pan would not be a major concern to me unless it was so drastically destroyed as to pull the suspension components out of alignment.
If you save a ton of money, the car tracks straight and it looks good cosmetically then go for it.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
If the “floor pan” is in reference to the trunk pan, then most likely when the car was rear ended, the bumper bar absorbed most of the impact and caved. The resulting energy of the impact and damage would have been to the taillight panel bottom and the outer edge of the trunk pan (attached to lower portion of tail panel).

See Silver Bullet’s images above - tail panel and on opposite side would be the trunk pan.

Looking at the invoice, only 1hr was spent on the floor pan. Most likely it was not major and the damage was probably similar to Silver Bullet’s and probably straightened with a come along or use of a frame machine.

If the Ford Dealer Body Shop did the repairs, they would have done all repairs correctly - especially if they are reselling the car on their lot and didn’t auction it off.

Some would pass - others would buy (if a damn good deal). As long as the Title is free and clear and isn’t marred - definitely check if pursuing the possible purchase.
Sponsored