Sponsored

Ford Doesn't Know Exactly Why It's Losing Billions of Dollars

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I wish I would’ve bought Tesla stock when it launched. Sheesh.

Maybe Ford stock will hit rock bottom and be a good long term hold at some point. It’s basically junk stock now which is a shame.

That’s a lot of dinero to lose. A lot.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Article title doesn't reflect the content. Hackett seems to know exactly why they lost money. It makes sense that the Explorer fiasco was a big part of it (increasing production costs a lot), and sales were reduced probably partially due to that as well.

I can say that my opinion of Ford has decreased in the last few years and I feel like they are currently struggling. It sure doesn't look as though Hackett has improved Ford as of yet.

The economy is roaring. If a company can't do well under these conditions, they are in deep doo doo.

I wouldn't buy Tesla stock. AFAIK they are only doing well because people love Musk, not because of good performing vehicles.

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Article title doesn't reflect the content. Hackett seems to know exactly why they lost money. It makes sense that the Explorer fiasco was a big part of it (increasing production costs a lot), and sales were reduced probably partially due to that as well.

I can say that my opinion of Ford has decreased in the last few years and I feel like they are currently struggling. It sure doesn't look as though Hackett has improved Ford as of yet.

The economy is roaring. If a company can't do well under these conditions, they are in deep doo doo.

I wouldn't buy Tesla stock. AFAIK they are only doing well because people love Musk, not because of good performing vehicles.
Yeah at this point the boom has probably leveled off for Tesla stock. Certainly from inception, but that would’ve been a great opportunity to invest. If people love Musk, they believe in what he’s doing and believe in the brand.. that’s what will carry them forward if Musk plays his cards right with what they bring to the table.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Yeah at this point the boom has probably leveled off for Tesla stock. Certainly from inception, but that would’ve been a great opportunity to invest. If people love Musk, they believe in what he’s doing and believe in the brand.. that’s what will carry them forward if Musk plays his cards right with what they bring to the table.
I agree - Musk/Tesla has the best chance to succeed based on his cult of personality. If they can eventually come around and make great cars at great prices as well, Tesla should do well.

I don't know about the stock. If Tesla actually starts making money it will shoot up a lot more, but if the competition comes in and beats them then it will fall. Those are my thoughts. I'd love to see Tesla figure out how to make a bunch of money. It would be awesome to have a big 4 car companies here in the USA rather than just 3 that seem to be struggling at the moment.

Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
This.

Ford could definitely do better. They continually botch critical new product launches, or are late (or both). Where the hell is that new Bronco??? It's already late to the party, so it better be great and undercut the Jeep Wrangler in cost right out of the gate, or it'll be nothing but a me-too.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Maybe they're running out of people who are willing / able to pay $70K for a pickup.
Agreed. I sure am not willing to do that. Seems like they are trying to sell a few really expensive vehicles rather than lots of affordable vehicles. I wish they would continue to sell the affordable stuff, because that's what I am most willing to buy.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
They'll price themselves out of the market eventually....

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
With the F150's selling for 30-35% off they are finally priced where they should have been all along. low 30's.

All 3 automakers are in a world of hurt (and it's going to get ugly as heck) because of all the preposterous retiree benefits, largely concentrated in medical.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
With the F150's selling for 30-35% off they are finally priced where they should have been all along. low 30's.

All 3 automakers are in a world of hurt (and it's going to get ugly as heck) because of all the preposterous retiree benefits, largely concentrated in medical.
Yes the labor unions have hurt the Big 3 big time. Unions tend to destroy most companies.

OP
OP
Bikeman315

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Yes the labor unions have hurt the Big 3 big time. Unions tend to destroy most companies.
Well there is a choice here. If you want your car assembled in the US, you need to deal with the unions (well the big 3 anyway). Don’t want the unions, no problem, build your plants in Mexico. Problem solved.

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
Ford needs to get rid of that assclown Hackett, and the Board members who let him run amok.

cosmic charlie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Streetfighter Q850 NEED FOR GREEN, 2016 Focus RS (frozen white), 2016 Focus RS (stealth grey), 2014 Ford F150 Crewcab, 2015 Porsche Boxter GTS, 2013 Mercedez Benz ML350, 2003 Mercedes Benz C32AMG, 1989 Honda CRX Si Turbo
This.

Ford could definitely do better. They continually botch critical new product launches, or are late (or both). Where the hell is that new Bronco??? It's already late to the party, so it better be great and undercut the Jeep Wrangler in cost right out of the gate, or it'll be nothing but a me-too.
Didn't you hear the first piece of the 7 piece puzzle on the new Bronco will be released on Facebook next month.

saleen367

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 HP N3451 2015 Focus
You can't place the blame solely on the Unions. Unions are in a lot of places you probably don't realize. They are not entirely negative. Retirement pensions for police/firefighters are double what the UAW's receive. It's part of car manufacturers annual business plans. Unfortunately Ford hasn't done a good job at a number of different things business wide. Getting into the EV game was a wise move, but they need to make a very good product to compete with a host of others diving into the same genre.
Sponsored