Practial question on belt change with VMP 2.3

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS convertible
Question for those who've worked on one: what stuff, if any, needs to be pulled to get access to the supercharger/AC drive belt and all idlers for a VMP 2.3 (Gen 2) system? What have you used for replacement idlers? I have one or more of em squeaking and don't feel like getting stranded if one of em grenades on the road.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Avispa

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
Yes, it's a dumb a$$ question, but my worn out old hands ain't what they used to be. Like to know what's in store before doing it myself. Anyone?

ckendri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Just the front belt and loosen FEAD bracket. You only have to loosen the bracket and remove the top right hand bolt above the water pump to snake the belt out. At least that how I remember it. It’s been a few months back now. It’s tight but I don’t think you have to pull anything else.

I’d buy new idlers from VMP if you aren’t sure, but I’d bet they are an OEM part you could cross reference if you have time. Other than that you could just replace the bearings if you have a good supply house around.

OP
OP
Avispa

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
Super! Thanks! Yeah the idlers do look like Ford 75 mm. For whatever reason VMP doesn't show the plain stamped steel ones on their website, just the overpriced aluminum ones for a hundred bucks a pop.

YukonRally

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
You have to loosen the FEAD bracket and also remove the the water pump belt from the crank pulley. Since the water pump belt is on the front of the crank pulley it traps your blower belt.

The FEAD bracket has three bolts, only the top one has to come completely out. The left side and bottom one can be loosened and slide the assembly back to get enough clearance to fish the belt out.

I will say, I have had a squeak since day one of installing a brand new kit. I tried a new belt, pulled everything apart and checked it multiple times, and haven't figured out which pulley it is, or if it's the tensioner. Drives me crazy a bit, but goes away after the car warms up and I run it for a few minutes.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Avispa

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the reply, Yukon. Funny, my setup does lose the squeak after it warms up, too. Guess I'm a bit gun shy. Had one of the idlers on my Terminator grenade and it barely made any noise. Took out the belt completely, which thankfully was the forward, outer belt. You haven't spent a rotten day in the garage until you try to pull the front crank pulley and bearing cage off one of those old 4V motors.

YukonRally

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
Understand being gun shy, I was too. I called VMP right after and asked what they thought may be causing it and got pretty much "I dunno". Started digging around online and found a number of other people with the same issue. If I really get a wild hair up my ass I'll pull the idlers and tension and figure out the correct bearing sizes and replace them all.

stanger1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2013 Shelby GT500-Sold, 2017 Roush RS3
Wow,
I have the squeak also. 2017 Roush RS3. But I think mine may be the Radiator cooling fans as once the engine is turned off, which stops immediately, the squeak or noise slows down and stops, so thinking fans.

OP
OP
Avispa

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, that does sound like something other than a belt-driven pulley. It might be worth unplugging the fan to see if the squeak goes away.
Sponsored