Sponsored

It's coming faster than you think. Gas on way out.

gregsdart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt a10 pp1 301 base
And what about all the other equipment such as my company which uses everything from weed trimmers to skid steers? I'd like to see them create a battery to power an excavator
There will have to be exceptions. The cost will probably rise for fuel and availability might suck. But EVs will not plow a field soon or do construction work.

wjfawb0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Gas stations near my house were showing $1.94/gallon this morning. I do live in a state with one of the smallest state governments.

OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
Well I have to agree with most that in the US it won't happen for a long time cause people here cant agree on anything and just want to fight. Now other countries they get their crap together and get stuff done LOL. I can see it happening everywhere but in the US :) for example china said we need a 1000 bed hospital theres a lot lets build it in 10 days.... and damn they did it. here it would have taken 23 months and millions more and peopel fighting and protesting... and... well you get idea.. the site before and then 10 days later.
Screenshot_4.png

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Short term, gas prices are plunging everywhere(may even go below $2 a gallon here) because of the fear the Coronavirus puts into everyone. I also bet Corona's stock trading price has fallen because of the unfortunate naming similarity. I'm doing my best to help keep Corona(beer, cerveza, biere, whatever you want to call it) afloat lol.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
It’s going to happen to everyone eventually. Just so long as it doesn’t happen in my lifetime. :)
There's really no reason it would have to happen to everyone. There are a number of renewable exploding fuels that can be used in the future to keep cars awesome. And oil/gas can be around for hundreds of years - by the time oil is getting low we might have many additional options.

IMO the role of government shouldn't be to take our toys away. I do agree that hopefully it won't happen in our lifetimes. At least not during the time when I still want to go to the track.

Austinj427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
This is one of those situations where the market will outpace regulation.

There are a lot of people looking at electric now, and with more and more auto companies starting offer options, it wouldn't surprise me if there are companies that give up gas well before that 2035 date.

tokuzumi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Escalade ESV
I should also add that lithium batteries will not be the future. They are heavy, take too long to charge. Some other battery medium will need to be used that is lighter and faster to charge.

How are Teslas and other EVs doing in the rust belt? There are plenty of ICE cars which could be driven like the flintstones car the holes in the floor are so big.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Now other countries they get their crap together and get stuff done
more like bureaucrats issue edicts and the populace just bends over. It's been in their dna for centuries. One strong man after another. The USA is no saint but 'kings' is not something ingrained into our psyche. And we also don't subscribe to the "society at large is vastly more important than the individual".

China doesn't care about lots of "niceties" that western civ has grown accustomed to tolerating. The chinese don't care about land rights, water rights, pollution, individual liberties, a non-existent sand darter and desert tourtise or any of the "endangered species" crap. Like the Persians, "so let it be said, so let it be done" and if bodies have to be stacked up like cord wood, so be it.

China is under a huge medical emergency right now and they have the world's largest concrete and steel infrastructure and well-practiced '3D printing' of buildings. They don't care if the damn things last 3 years let alone 30 or if a Richter 5 will collapse the mess and kill 10,000 patients. In our case we already have multi-thousand bed quarantine facilities. They're called shopping malls. Just install beds. :)

Sponsored

Tuxedomouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Grabber Blue Premium PP
The infrastructure for electric charging is many, many years away. And I'm not talking about parking lots - I'm talking about homes, neighborhoods, apartment buildings. Sure, it's no problem for few hundred thousand yuppies to charge their cars at home at night, but it is a problem for a few hundred MILLION people to do so. Aging electrical infrastructure, which is not a sexy thing to talk about, is barely sufficient now - even less so with everyone plugging a new 220V charger in every night.

13razorbackfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
There will have to be exceptions. The cost will probably rise for fuel and availability might suck. But EVs will not plow a field soon or do construction work.
Exactly...the same as all the oil and other petroleum based products we use to make plastics and other composites. There are some folks within the green lobby who happen to forget or simply don't understand such things. I'm not opposed to electric powered anything. I really don't care as long as it gets the job done. Heck I'm not opposed to buying a an electric car. I would prefer the free market determine such things and not be forced upon us by the government

Sigma6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
02’ 360, 06’ GT, 11’ GT500, 15’ 911, 17’ 350
Yeah but only like 5% of us are smart enough to see it. The rest of the world thinks they are a godsend ( just ask and electric car owner they will tell you) and we know laws and things are always based around popular opinion and not facts.
spot on :) I’m sure this what’s ultimately coming. I can’t predict the future. Everyone is pretty closed lips about 2 years out vs 15years. Especially with something at such as this. This isn’t at a granular level to which I know little little about, I can only speculate. But being behind the automotive sectors, were a lot more prepared than the government, the refineries, and the investors in terms of the EV launch and going away from the Dino. Currently in 2020 era. There’s way to many big boys with $$$$ backing especially in the oils to ever let there investment slides. Plus the government isn’t Ready-up at the moment in terms of grid infrastructure needed to do this at a national or even global scale.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Another interesting data point to add that's actually not political...or maybe a bit. But Companies like Exxon, Chevron, Shell, BP, and others are no longer just petroleum companies but energy and sustainability companies. These companies that some would say are just out to pollute the world are the leaders in carbon and emissions control capability, energy production capability, AND C02 clean up, zero emissions, and negative emissions innovation. Microsoft just recently announced they plan to be carbon negative in about 15 years. Bill Gates has invested in carbon capture technology (which has a ton of potential business strategies).
Sponsored