My A10 transmission freaked out.

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2022 EB premium vert, 2013 Escape, 2017 F150 SC5.0
Yesterday while on a regular back road cruise route, I was in 'drive' and approaching a T stop. I was going to turn left and noticed a pickup truck closing quickly and signalling left turn, so I signaled left and pulled the shifter into S hoping for a nice rev matching deceleration and to be ready to make the turn and pull away aggressively after the stop. First of all, no deceleration so I hit the down shift paddle, no down shift. Braked to a stop, waited for one car to clear the cross road, then pulled out. The car never left first gear, when I looked down, I was past red line, so I came off the gas and pushed the shifter into 'D'. It hesitated twice, then properly shifted and I accelerated normally.

After a mile or so, I pulled back into S and it went into the mode and shift patterns like it should. Did confuse it by shifting into S while already off the throttle then hitting the downshift paddle? I thought the computer would shift when it supposed to no matter what I do with the paddles. Why did it allow me to stay beyond red line, although only for a second or two. It did not shift out of first until I bumped it back into 'D'.

Details: EB, bone stock, 11K miles no warranty work ever. It was 72F and sunny.

Thoughts?
Sponsored

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
No...

When you toggle down in S and hit the paddle it is now in manual mode. That means you have to shift it before bouncing it off the rev limiter.

15GTCA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic 2015 GT A6
No...

When you toggle down in S and hit the paddle it is now in manual mode. That means you have to shift it before bouncing it off the rev limiter.
Exactly. Once you paddled down in Sport, you were in 1st gear and it stays there till you shift it.

TheSnowmanMafia

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium
Do these cars hold the gear in manual mode and let it bounce off the limiter? Huh

I had to enable that with a dealer computer device on our Audi. Neat.

OP
OP
lacanteen

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2022 EB premium vert, 2013 Escape, 2017 F150 SC5.0
Exactly. Once you paddled down in Sport, you were in 1st gear and it stays there till you shift it.
If that is the case I must have hit the down shift paddle again after I stopped. I had just turned off cruise, pulled into S, was coasting from 55 MPH in 10th gear. No response from down shift paddle at that point, in fact I think I hit it twice, with no response, so I braked to a stop. Strange. In the future I'll need to pay more attention to be sure if I'm in manual or auto. The paddle icons light up inside the tach when in manual. Scared the crap out of me though.

Sponsored

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
These are not dsg/dct transmissions so you will have shift it a tad early before redline due to the slight delay. User error. ;).

Deleted member 35644

Although the transmission didn't respond initially, the first tap of the paddle still put you in manual mode if it was in "S". But it doesn't have to be in "S" to use manual mode. After a few seconds, it'll revert to automatic if left in "D".

LxMike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Gt.
Vehicle Showcase
I did the same thing! Was turning onto a long road and wanted to do a quick pull so I pulled shifter into S and once on road I used paddles to get into second and floored it and not soon after was wondering why I couldn't go faster than 68-70 mph! Usually I'd shift into S and slow car down enough to get a second gear kick down.

Cxp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB app
Hold the right paddle down and you will re-engage auto mode.

If you are downshifting and want to switch to auto simultaneously, hold the left paddle down, then click and hold the right down while left is still held down.

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Sorry to say this but the only transmission connected to your brain directly is a manual one.

The auto is very good at anticipation but it is not perfect. Putting it in ‘S’ will make your tranny a manual paddle shifted transmission. Like a manual. It stays in gear until you do something about it.

My suggestion is to leave it in Drive and use the temporary feature by just hitting the paddles. After a little while it goes back to nanny mode.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Cxp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB app
Sorry to say this but the only transmission connected to your rain directly is a manual one.

The auto is very good at anticipation but it is not perfect. Putting it in ‘S’ will make your tranny a manual paddle shifted transmission. Like a manual. It stays in gear until you do something about it.

My suggestion is to leave it in Drive and use the temporary feature by just hitting the paddles. After a little while it goes back to nanny mode.

This is incorrect. S starts as auto until you hit a paddle. Even then you can put back in auto by holding right paddle.

Cxp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB app
Sorry for double post.

In addition, D and S travel through the gears differently. D uses more torque management resulting in slower shifts. Also, D has a tendency to skip gears so you won’t get optimal acceleration. S shifts faster, revs higher, has increased pedal sensitivity, and won’t skip gears.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Trans Mode “S”:
1) Trans has more aggressive shift points and holds RPM’s longer.
2) Trans will auto up/downshift as long as the paddles are not touched at all.
3) If the Driver touches a paddle to up/down shift, the trans will then be in complete manual mode. This means the Driver will need to upshift, otherwise the vehicle will redline and will NOT shift into the next gear. If coming to a stop, the trans will auto downshift IF the Driver is not manually downshifting.

For complete 10R80 info, see this detailed post I’ve put up on here a few times:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...se-paddle-shifters.129586/page-4#post-2786756

The trans didn’t freak out, it was doing exactly what it was designed to do. You had it in Trans Mode “S” AND you touched the paddle to downshift. That action of touching the paddle put the trans into full manual mode and it was waiting for you to upshift, because it won’t upshift once it’s in full manual mode.

:)

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Sorry for double post.

In addition, D and S travel through the gears differently. D uses more torque management resulting in slower shifts. Also, D has a tendency to skip gears so you won’t get optimal acceleration. S shifts faster, revs higher, has increased pedal sensitivity, and won’t skip gears.
D does not skip gears if you are under medium or heavy throttle. It only skip shifts under lazy acceleration.

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
If that is the case I must have hit the down shift paddle again after I stopped. I had just turned off cruise, pulled into S, was coasting from 55 MPH in 10th gear. No response from down shift paddle at that point, in fact I think I hit it twice, with no response, so I braked to a stop. Strange. In the future I'll need to pay more attention to be sure if I'm in manual or auto. The paddle icons light up inside the tach when in manual. Scared the crap out of me though.
What others said. As soon as you hit the paddle it went into manual mode. In manual mode the car will automatically downshift as you slow down when the rpms drop to very low speeds, all the way to 1st. That's the only thing it does automatically in manual mode. So, the car was in manual mode, but automatically downshifted to 1st while you slowed down for the stop. Then, you forgot to shift out of 1st gear.
Sponsored