Automated car wash

James1414d

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ecoboost Premium convertible
New convertible owner here. I'm curious if anyone takes theirs through a carwash. I searched the forum and came up empty.

I usually hand wash my cars, but we do have a pretty handy (and free) carwash at my work. Maybe I'll be the guinea-pig. :crazy:
Sponsored

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
I've taken mine through a few times. The purest would never do it but mine is a DD and I don't always have the time to do a full hand wash detail.
I only use the basic wash, no wax or spray on chemicals.
It's done a decent job so far. No damages, scratches or leaks.

JCFoster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Vert, 3.15, A6, Magnetic
Nope. But, we also have cheap crappy car washes in La. like everything else. If I lived up north with the possibility of salt etc. I probably would just to get underneath.

rcengr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
17 Grabber Blue EB Convertible, 2023 Colorado Z71
I've taken mine through Mike's Car Wash with no problem. I get just the basic, no wax.

Fordever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS Convertible
I have never put mine thru a car wash. Car washes are good for removing dust, but ground in dirt just doesn’t come off. (I have used a pressure washer on my truck... that how I know).

maybe I have Autoplenophobia. Who knows??:crazy:

Sponsored

Deleted member 35644

Last time I ran mine through a touchless, I got out to dry it off, and watched as the water sheeted off the sides (first hint of a problem) and saw that most of the brown crap was still there. My drying towel was filthy when I got done. Wheels still had a brown film on them. I Won't waste money on that again. It's better off staying dirty.

OP
OP
James1414d

James1414d

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ecoboost Premium convertible
Guess I'm mostly leery of water leaks with the soft top.

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
Mine is dirty most of the winter. Unless we happen to get a nice day, like 5C and sunny on a weekend, the car doesn't see the hose. Yesterday was one of those days but being a Monday, no wash. I would not bother with a car wash.

ClayAce

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
I just spent 20 hours or so getting out the scratches and swirl marks on my 2016 that I bought used from a guy who ran it through car washes. The car only has 4,500 miles and in the sunlight the paint looked terrible from the automatic washes.The top appears to be fine from the AM washes.

Sponsored

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
Our water is too hard for hand washing. The calcium will ruin your paint. A car wash is the only choice we have.

Copperhead73

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derrick
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Convertible PP1, A10, Mag, B&O, A/E, S&S
We have a local wash that used to be a Simonize with swirling auto-brushes, etc. It has since been taken over by a local company that removed all the auto-brushes. Now, you ride down the conveyor and go through the "waterfall" but up to that point and after two guys walk along side and handwash the car the old fashioned way. You do then go through the automatic dryer. They then have you pull outside and do a full hand dry, tires, wheels, etc.

My biggest concern is actually the dryer. I can't imagine it is any more abusive than 100 MPH dashes down the Mexican freeway, but it does buffet the top and back glass noticeably. I haven't been able to detect any damage, but still it worries me.

gamecoc430

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
Having had several convertibles the auto car wash uses very strong cleaners which will probably lead to the threads in the top letting go. The threads are the weak point. I also don't like what they do to the paint. Hand wash mine only and dry with a leaf blower.

DRB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 5.0 Performance Pack convertible, Rapid Red
There's one automated spray-and-blow car wash near here in College Park that I use - never have had a problem with it. Any nice day, the lot's full of guys hand-drying their more-than-nice cars after going through.

My cars are daily drivers, thirty miles or more a day for work purposes. In terms of routine removal of winter salt and dirt from the undercarriage it's the only practical solution - for me - that I've found.

The car is garaged both at home and at my office, and I never noticed any damage to the top of my previous two convertibles from using this place.
Sponsored