Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
So when you get a sidewall cut on 495 at 4:30pm and AAA tells you that it will be at least 90 minutes before they can come get you, after which they will drop your car at the dealer (who will be closed by the time you arrive), your response is .......
This.

My former GT500, late on a blistering hot summer Sunday afternoon after a car show on a rural highway. No spare (thanks Ford!), no AAA, just the "mobility kit". Sidewall separation at highway speed. What a pain in the ass it was. No vehicle I own will ever be without a spare again, and it's the reason my '15 has a full size unit in the trunk.
blowout.jpg
Sponsored

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
Sidewall separation at highway speed. What a pain in the ass it was.
Yup. Once you've lived through it (my 495 story was true and was also 75 miles from my house), the value of a spare goes way over the cost.

ALLSTOCK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Honda Accord LX 5MT, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP2
hmm does the one at livermoreford fit with the performance packs?

Having clearance for the brembo brakes are important.

Im guessing it does since it also lists the gt350's under the body/trms.

EcoBoost, EcoBoost Premium, GT, GT Premium, Shelby GT350, Shelby GT350R

500 bucks for a spare tire/wheel is outrageous.

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
500 bucks for a spare tire/wheel is outrageous.
That includes the jack et al. The wheel and tire alone is ~$90 less, which is still pricey. That being said, you get setup with a rolling diameter that is effectively the same as the stock setup.

Sponsored

jay gee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2000 Camaro Z28, 2010 Challanger RT Classic
Last summer we were driving down to Vegas from Portland OR. on a Sunday on 395. Going through Carson City we started to loose air in the right front tire. I tried to use the compressor to add air but I lost it after a few miles down the road. I didn't want to use the slime that comes with the kit because I was told the tire wouldn't be good any more. So I called AAA to tow me to a tire shop. By that time it was early evening. AAA couldn't find a tow truck to come and get me, plus there weren't any tire shops open on Sunday at that time.
So we checked into a motel. Next day AAA had a truck tow us to a shop. Tire was fixed and we were on our way.

Never again ! I bought the spare tire kit with jack for our GT PP1. The jack I got with it looks like a Ford product.
I have gloves, a small blanket to sit on, 13/16" deep socket w/ extension that fits both the jack and lugs, a Harbor Freight 1/2" telescoping ratchet, and 4 flares all tucked away in between the spokes.
All this fits in the well with the cover laying flat
I also carry a 1/2" drive battery impact wrench on long trips

To me the piece of mind of not being stranded is well worth the price

71Rcode

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP 6-speed base
Agree 100%. The way I look at it the value is there. I've saved enough money the past few months maintaining vehicles repairing vehicles and reparing the house. Definitely worth the money for the spare tire and jack kit to avoid some debacle down the road whether you are stranded or whether something is damaged from a Triple A tow.

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Definitely worth the money for the spare tire and jack kit to avoid .. [when] something is damaged from a Triple A tow.
"I'm not going to crawl under that car in the rain to grab the hook holes in the frame. That suspension component looks strong enough to take the pull."

BrettT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt, 2006 Jetta 2.0T, 2013 Escape SEL

Joek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
If you do a bit of research, you will find out that the this Ford wheel will not fit cars with Brembo brakes.
The site said that the fitment was approved for the 2018 GT350 which led me to assume it would fit the GT PP.

Sponsored

BrettT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt, 2006 Jetta 2.0T, 2013 Escape SEL
The site said that the fitment was approved for the 2018 GT350 which led me to assume it would fit the GT PP.
Click on the link "make sure this fits your car" and pick any car that has Brembo brakes. "this part does not fit your 20** Ford Mustang"

Joek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Click on the link "make sure this fits your car" and pick any car that has Brembo brakes. "this part does not fit your 20** Ford Mustang"
Looks like the cutoff is after the 2018 mid-model refresh. Seems to fit all models prior to that...

NC STANG GUY

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 A10 GT 99 Terminator swapped Cobra vert 93 LX hatch 90 LX coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Looks like the cutoff is after the 2018 mid-model refresh. Seems to fit all models prior to that...
It definitely DOES NOT fit any 15+ Mustang with the larger 6 piston Brembo brakes up front.

jay gee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2000 Camaro Z28, 2010 Challanger RT Classic
I did a lot of reading and calling around even to places mentioned here about a spare for our 2018 GT PP1
The only spare kit I could find that clears the Brembo brakes is the one from Automotive Authority
I've read suggestions about if the front tire is flat then first jack the rear up and put the non Brembo spare on there
Then jack up the front and put the rear tire on there.
That's removing and install tires twice.
At my age that's too much work.
When I got my spare kit I tested it by installing it on the front.
By the time I pulled the factory tire off and then mounted the spare, lowered the car to check clearance, then jacked it back up and removed the spare and remounted the factory tire my butt was dragging
Putting the spare back in the trunk was like lifting a boat anchor.
Those tires are heavy. They're all cast not alloys.
This was all done with an impact wrench.
Then I also read somewhere in order to mount the rear tire in the front and clear the Brembos you need a spacer

This is only MHO

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
There are 19" cast wheels for cheap (<100) too for a full-size solution. does anybody really care if the trunk floor is no longer flat?

The AMR scratch and dent wheels are $40 a pop for 19x8.5. Those should fit over the Brembos, or a $10 5mm spacer may take care of it if not. I got my new TSW Hockenheim S for $90. 245/40 tire keeps it under 27".

I picked up a 18x4 steel from a 13-17 explorer. Fits the rear but not the front
Sponsored

Last edited: