Passenger side REAR 1/4 "rattle" - how to get peace

TicTocTach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clair
Vehicle(s)
2018 EBPP
I thought my car was pretty quiet until I saw this thread... now I can't stop hearing this rattle... :)
Sponsored

TicTocTach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clair
Vehicle(s)
2018 EBPP
For you folks with ā€˜18ā€™s and Shaker, is there another fastener holding the sub in beyond the two bolts in the floor and the big Torx bolt in the face of the sub? Mine still seems really stuck on the left side looking at the sub, but I canā€™t see what else has to come out... hoping to handle this rattle today...

TicTocTach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clair
Vehicle(s)
2018 EBPP
Replying to self, I figured out the Shaker fastener situation - I was giving too much credit for how I thought it must be installed on the assembly line. Since I wasn't able to find anything that showed just this, here's a photo I marked up to show what you need to remove to pull the Shaker subwoofer. Nutshell, you have to remove the lower trim panel that seems totally unrelated to the "obvious" fastener locations. Three small screws with T-20 Torx heads (green circle) hold this piece on. Once removed, you can see the two brackets with 1/2" bolts that actually hold the bottom of the speaker down (lower red circles). The other fastener is the large T-40 Torx-head fastener in the upper right red circle. Forget the 1/2" bolts in the trunk floor, they're just leading you astray on this mission.

Also removed is the center trunk trim piece that is held in place by the trunk net knobs. You just unscrew those knobs and the panel pops out easily.

Hope that helps someone else out in the future. As for the rattle, I thought I had it beaten, but I heard it again today after a week of quiet. Crud.
Shaker_Fasteners-01.jpg

Reactions: GTP

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Question.

I have a convertible and hear a rattle coming from the passenger rear. Doe the convertible have this box mounted the same way?

I originally thought it might be the top itself, but the description of the rattle fits this to a T.

So, behind the sub Iā€™m assuming?

Sponsored

Dusten

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dusten
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang, 2001 Ford Lightning, 1968 Ford Mustang
Thanks for this write up. My rattle is gone!

Thegipper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
Ok, so many have posted on here that they have an annoying rattle coming from the passenger side rear. Some have posted that the rattle is coming from the rear interior plastic at the rear 1/4 window or C-pillar area.

On my 2016 - that was not the case. I could hear the rattle with everything turned off in the interior and it sounded like it was coming from the trunk. I then opened the trunk and started tapping on the rear trunk interior panels...

Bingo -the rattle was coming from directly behind the passenger side trunk liner. I tapped a few times more, confirmed it was the distinct rattle I heard from inside the vehicle.

The rear side panels in the trunk are held on by plastic buttons and magnets. After removing the passenger side trunk liner - on a very thin piece of sheet metal there is a module secured to it and also has 2 harnesses. The module is mounted to the sheet metal with (2) 8mm nuts. I tapped the sheet metal and watched it literally "wobble" and create the rattle noise. The rattle is caused by the fact that there is NO backing on the module - it's plastic to metal contact AND the sheet metal is super flimsy. It rattles because the weight of the loaded module supersedes the tensile strength of the metal.

So I removed the module, found some 1/4" foam backing, cut it to the size of the module and affixed it between the module and the sheet metal. I then made sure the module was secured properly AND that the (2) 8mm nuts were as tight as I could go (without breaking the mounting points).

Tapped it a few times - no more rattle!!

Why Ford does not put a foam or felt backing between the module and the sheet metal is beyond me - it prob only cost them .05 to do it.

Pic of area and module; culprit for the obscene rattle:
image.jpg
Iā€™ve ruled out something rattling in the actual C-pillar (airbag canister) and I want to get in the right trunk compartment.

Hiw do you remove the right trunk liner?

TicTocTach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clair
Vehicle(s)
2018 EBPP
Iā€™ve ruled out something rattling in the actual C-pillar (airbag canister) and I want to get in the right trunk compartment.

Hiw do you remove the right trunk liner?
May have to start with the subwoofer if your car is equipped with one. I detail that operation a couple posts above this one. After that, you can start to pull the liner back and look for any clips that may be holding it in place. In some locations, the fasteners are just magnets.
Sponsored