Sponsored

Any Gt350 owners have experience with Subaru Sti?

veblenesque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Race Red GT350
If you're considering the ND Miata, you may also want to look at an Abarth 124 Spider. I own one as a daily driver and have a friend with an ND hardtop. I prefer the 124 - to me, it's a better looking car and that 1.4 turbo has a lot of personality. Plus, there are some killer deals right now on them. Mine has been perfectly reliable after 3 years.
Sponsored

19-kilo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2011 SVT Raptor, 6.2L
I had a 2004 STi for 6 years. Subaruā€™s are great cars, but stock all have real compromises that hide their potential. When I finished my build, it would walk a viper, Was a true gocart that handled on rails, made great sounds, and still had a back seat that could be driven in snow. In adverse weather is actually more fun than a sunny day!
But to make it work, you have to modify it.

Chassis needs stiffening, shifter needs upgrading, sway bar size needs to be increased to fix understeer, needs to be tuned to get better power, and new exhaust system is a must since stock sounds muffled.

it all comes down to driving goals. I wanted AWD for daily year round use and mechanical components that were fun to drive. The diff is mechanical, the steering is hydraulic, the shocks are linear. It was the best daily drivers Car... but at a cost. Cheap interior, needs mods to be good, and loud NVH.

all in all, best car I have had since the GT350R. Just had to modify it.

If I was looking at AWD, absolutely look at the WRX or STI. Itā€™s not the same driving style as RWD, and provides different kinds of fun. WV GTi is good, but not the same experience. Oh, I also drove a Focus RS and was hopping it would feel like the STI... no way. RS was like a video game, and not connected to the driver like the STI was.

Be advised, in 14 years, the STI has changed little. So it is showing its age, but itā€™s also timeless and still a great platform, if you want AWD.

datadatum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT350
I have experience with several of the cars mentioned...

I owned a 2005 STi (new). Over ~7 years I turned it from a daily driving beast into a much faster and much more uncomfortable track car. Fun stuff. There is an interesting Doug Demuro video just out on the 2004 STi, where he says the old ones were so much more tossable and fun than the new ones. I agree. Pass on the new STi...

I owned a 2014 Miata PRHT. It was so much fun but so damn slow. I modified that car extensively as well. It got much faster, but never really any more fun to drive. I got tired of it after a few years. Pass on the Miata...

I am currently looking for a 2018 Golf R. Great interior, manual transmission, 4-doors, easy to modify the power, 6 year warranty, and understated styling. I am hoping that this car will be the spiritual successor to my beloved '08 RS4. Thumbs up on the Golf R.

19-kilo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
I had an 02 bug eye wagon. Fully tuned. The car was a blast, wish I still had it.
Yea thatā€™s probably one of my biggest regrets. I sold my STI for almost what I paid for it after 6 years... and now 9 years later itā€™s worth more than I bought it for in 2005. Omg
The STi holds it value great, but it also is over priced for what you get.

Sponsored

datadatum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT350
Yea thatā€™s probably one of my biggest regrets. I sold my STI for almost what I paid for it after 6 years... and now 9 years later itā€™s worth more than I bought it for in 2005. Omg
Today - it is absolutely over priced, there is just too much competition. Back when it came out 15 years ago, it was the performance bargain of the decade. Too bad Subaru couldn't keep the halo on the STi.

OP
OP

REDLINE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Z51 Stingray
Well guys, the deed is done. Iā€™m picking up a 2020 Grand Touring (now standard with limited slip and bilstein) softop Miata over the weekend. Those that mentioned SoCal weather...thanks for reminding me. Might as well take full advantage of it!

thanks yā€™all!!

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 GT350 (sold)
Well guys, the deed is done. Iā€™m picking up a 2020 Grand Touring (now standard with limited slip and bilstein) softop Miata over the weekend. Those that mentioned SoCal weather...thanks for reminding me. Might as well take full advantage of it!

thanks yā€™all!!
Pictures and quick review or it didnā€™t really happen.
Thinking about surprising my wife with a fun little convertible. Not a practical idea if I cannot fit in it but....I know itā€™ll put a smile on her face.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Do you need 4 doors specifically? Because something like late B8 S4 or a Charger Scat Pack is great fun. Otherwise yes, that thingy with the roof thing off. Always the answer haha.

Sponsored
OP
OP

REDLINE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Z51 Stingray
Iā€™ll post and pics as soon as I get it. I know itā€™s not a practical choice...but hear me out : since itā€™s only a two seater, Iā€™ll never be designated driver during lunch. People have been reporting 40mpg, itā€™s reliable, parts (especially track consumables...wheels, tires, brakes) are cheap as hell. Last but not lease, itā€™s fun as hell to putt-putt around town within legal limits.
I figured, if I needed an extra shot of adrenaline, I always have the gt350, or if I needed to carry more stuff. For even larger tasks, Iā€™ll have to rely on my wifeā€™s Model 3, which is practically a hatchback.

ADDGAMER

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
I had a 66 GT350 clone before I had the bug eye. Said I'd never get rid of the 66 unless Subaru released the rally car stateside and they did. Put a fun 60+K on the clock until the baby was born. Needed a larger car for the kid, 3 large dogs, so I took the wife's Baja traded the Rex bought her a Tribeca. Kid has since turned 13, divorced the wife, she crashed the tribeca many years ago. New wife, 2nd GT350 in 2 years (3rd Mustang in 3 years)... all good in the hood but still miss my rex when I crawl into my POS Jeep Patriot everyday to commute to work...lol

19-kilo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
I had a 66 GT350 clone before I had the bug eye. Said I'd never get rid of the 66 unless Subaru released the rally car stateside and they did. Put a fun 60+K on the clock until the baby was born. Needed a larger car for the kid, 3 large dogs, so I took the wife's Baja traded the Rex bought her a Tribeca. Kid has since turned 13, divorced the wife, she crashed the tribeca many years ago. New wife, 2nd GT350 in 2 years (3rd Mustang in 3 years)... all good in the hood but still miss my rex when I crawl into my POS Jeep Patriot everyday to commute to work...lol
We Should have never sold the subi. Damn rally machine was so much fun.

jpindustrie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford Mustang
I have a Fiesta ST ... but I spent lots of time at Subie dealers test driving the WRX and STi (in addition to GTI/R) to make sure I made the right decision ...

at the end of the day the Imprezas was just more than I wanted to pay and I felt the ST was ultimately 'lighter' but boy did the WRX/STi platform impress me - theyre like miniature tanks, they won't get stuck on the dirt nor on a good mountain road/track ... Very Japanese in execution ...

If things continue to look better in life it would be a tough decision between an STi and the next car ...
Sponsored