Sponsored

Throttle House puts the 2020 GT500, Camaro ZL1 and Challenger Hellcat Redeye on the track

BluByeU

M6G SoCal Cruisers
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob HT
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium GTPP Recaros & Shaker 401a
It’s good to have choice especially with three distinct and such different cars. The Hellcat, to me, is timeless. It’s too big for my liking but I think it still looks as good now as it did when it came out. Camissa was right on the naming too. Hellcat, Redeye, Demon.. Such smart marketing...
And Scat Pack!
Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
There is a nothing that stopped GM from making the camaro more usable and ergonomically friendly (visibility and interior) that would have significantly or measurably degraded its ability as a sports coupe from what it is. They made a choice to style it that way. That overall styling decision has cost them significantly in sales, that I am 100% certain of.
Coolest looking car nobody wants.

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
There is a nothing that stopped GM from making the camaro more usable and ergonomically friendly (visibility and interior) that would have significantly or measurably degraded its ability as a sports coupe from what it is. They made a choice to style it that way. That overall styling decision has cost them significantly in sales, that I am 100% certain of.
They Gen5 Camaro was very successful for them with the same questionable ergonomic choices that I think they tried to play it safe with the gen 6. It just has not worked out. Trust me I wanted to go from my C7 Z51 to a Camaro 2SS 1LE and loved, loved, loved the chassis. Better manual gearbox than the C7 too. But I just could not do the styling and ergonomics. Styling is subjective but the crap ergonomics is not.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
They Gen5 Camaro was very successful for them with the same questionable ergonomic choices that I think they tried to play it safe with the gen 6. It just has not worked out. Trust me I wanted to go from my C7 Z51 to a Camaro 2SS 1LE and loved, loved, loved the chassis. Better manual gearbox than the C7 too. But I just could not do the styling and ergonomics. Styling is subjective but the crap ergonomics is not.
At the time the 5th Gen came out, the retro renaissance was in full steam and it people forgave it. It was a bigger car overall, too. They restricted the 6th Gen predominantly to the same people who could 'get used to' the visibility and ergo of the 5th. That's not expanding the customer base.

Deviruchi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 (L0646)
FINALLY someone gets it. If one thing is clear from reviews and sales, the 1LE compromised too much for too little performance.

Sponsored

Checkmate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
GM never gets any love for all their engineering prowess in vehicle kinematics.

The ZL1 1LE is a purpose built road course weapon that still holds its own.

The best analogy that I can make between the ZL1 1LE and the GT500 is this-

ZL1 1LE is a Summer Tire (when it’s summer)

GT500 is an All Season Tire (when it’s summer)

The GT500 tries to be too many things and never succeeds in a certain area. This is especially true for the CFTP GT500 where it is supposed to be the road course special.

Concrete GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Ruby Red Vert
But I just could not do the styling and ergonomics. Styling is subjective but the crap ergonomics is
I joke about GM's and Camaro's in particular a lot but this is the only real reason I won't own one(unless given one)….The ergonomics are just not right for me and the styling, interior and exterior always seems gaudy or tacky for some reason. That's not to say Mustangs don't have some flaws but their just much easier to overlook and live with IMO...

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
GM never gets any love for all their engineering prowess in vehicle kinematics.

The ZL1 1LE is a purpose built road course weapon that still holds its own.

The best analogy that I can make between the ZL1 1LE and the GT500 is this-

ZL1 1LE is a Summer Tire (when it’s summer)

GT500 is an All Season Tire (when it’s summer)

The GT500 tries to be too many things and never succeeds in a certain area. This is especially true for the CFTP GT500 where it is supposed to be the road course special.
OK all that bullshit aside about all season tire (you're serious? Lol), the majority of Camaro and Mustang owners never even think about going to a racetrack. Since they're daily driven street cars, it doesn't matter how dynamically competent they are vs direct competitor if they're significantly compromised to use/live with daily. Don't you get it?

gmd2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
OK all that bullshit aside about all season tire (you're serious? Lol), the majority of Camaro and Mustang owners never even think about going to a racetrack. Since they're daily driven street cars, it doesn't matter how dynamically competent they are vs direct competitor if they're significantly compromised to use/live with daily. Don't you get it?
An “All season” , pulling 1.17 G’s and running with GT3 RS’s and being within .1 seconds of the 1LE on an autocross course . The car throttle test car had no front aero , rear wing in low downforce “ street position “ position and toasted tires and still only was .9 seconds off . Piece of shit lol .

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Has anyone seen a real track comparison yet?

Sponsored

Concrete GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Ruby Red Vert
Again in fresh tires we all know who would likely have won all 3 test.
And to whoever keeps putting the tires on Ford, they don't pick the cr up from the last people who were testing or leasing the very same car just a few days before. They simply locate a car testers use and arrange for transport.....ffs....some people.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
They simply locate a car testers use and arrange for transport..
and would it kill Ford to have a credit card or an arrangement with TireRack to supply a set of Cup2 on demand to be shipped to an installer where the car is slated to be picked up? The way Ford keeps dropping the ball on something as obvious and straightforward is just incredible.

Checkmate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
For anyone wondering what the outcome would be for a ZL1 1LE vs GT500. Enjoy this video!

Note: This never made it into the Throttle House Final cut of the video. It was the base ZL1 in that video. This was done when the Cameras stopped.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
For anyone wondering what the outcome would be for a ZL1 1LE vs GT500. Enjoy this video!

Note: This never made it into the Throttle House Final cut of the video. It was the base ZL1 in that video. This was done when the Cameras stopped.

Blaqhole?

SCCA Racer #75

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 on order, 2019 GT3RS, 2002 C5 Z06
LOL.. now the ZL1 1LE beat it in a drag race also... HILARIOUS!!!
Sponsored