Sponsored

Battery change problems

RangemasterP226

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Convertible
Soooooo, I haven’t driven my 2017 GT Convertible for about a month. Battery is dead and won’t jump start. I just installed a brand new Interstate battery with the exact same specs as the factory one. Car starts just fine.

But, three things happened:
Brake light stays on
ABS light stays on
Traction Control light stays on

Any clues on this folks? Do I need to reset something??? Thanks!
Sponsored

15GTCA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic 2015 GT A6
I would drive it for a short distance and see if the lights clear. You might have a stuck stop light switch.

SAL-E

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Ruby Red
If mine sits for longer than a week, I start getting messages that it is turning stuff off to preserve the battery. Battery nearly dead one time after two weeks. Car started but just barely. Got a new battery, but the same thing keeps happening. For that reason if it sits for more than a couple of days, I put the battery tender on it. Since it is mostly a weekend car, that is most of the time. I have checked for things like glove box or trunk lights stuck on, but they were fine.

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2022 EB premium vert, 2013 Escape, 2017 F150 SC5.0
Maybe a spider or wasp is in/on one of the wheel speed sensors.

Goterr0r

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
Is the alternator properly charging the battery? A weak battery or bad alternator will cause goofy random lights be on. If you put in a new battery and the alternator hasn't fully charged it properly it could be the issue. Or you could have a new battery that has been sitting for 2yrs making it an old battery sold as new.

Sponsored

OP
OP
RangemasterP226

RangemasterP226

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Convertible
Thx for the replies. I guess I jumped the gun because after I drove it for 5 minutes, all is back to normal.
Been changing car batteries my whole adult life and never has this happened. Oh well, all is good. Thanks

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
If mine sits for longer than a week, I start getting messages that it is turning stuff off to preserve the battery. Battery nearly dead one time after two weeks. Car started but just barely. Got a new battery, but the same thing keeps happening. For that reason if it sits for more than a couple of days, I put the battery tender on it. Since it is mostly a weekend car, that is most of the time. I have checked for things like glove box or trunk lights stuck on, but they were fine.
Modern cars have heavy parasitic battery draw due to all the electronic modules keeping a small amount of power activated even when the car is off. Security system, ecm memory retention, bcm memory retention, radio memory retention, the little red lights on the door "locks", etc...
Sponsored