Reliability of 5.2 with Whipple

Jdown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JOSH
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt350 whipple charged, 1972 Camaro SS pro touring
Thank you for your input and point of view. This post is to give us more information on the reliability of the whipple. There are people who want to bolt one on but have concerns. Hopefully this will help answer those reliability related questions .

Britt
Sponsored

Jdown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JOSH
Vehicle(s)
Here's some facts and a link to back up the fact that it's fine to run a whipple supercharger as long as you stay on the conservative side of the boost pressure
Screenshot_20200128-165031_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20200128-165031_Samsung Internet.jpg

Kobi Addiction

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT350
Here's some facts and a link to back up the fact that it's fine to run a whipple supercharger as long as you stay on the conservative side of the boost pressure
That's all good and fine. Says nothing about billet OPG and Sprocket upgrades. It's been a common failure point on 5.0 / 5.2 motors for all model years that are N/A or Boosted. Only time will tell for the new '19 / '20 model years. We can only recommend it....it's your vehicle, hopefully everything holds up fine for you. Happy boosting bud :like:

Jdown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JOSH
Vehicle(s)
That's all good and fine. Says nothing about billet OPG and Sprocket upgrades. It's been a common failure point on 5.0 / 5.2 motors for all model years that are N/A or Boosted. Only time will tell for the new '19 / '20 model years. We can only recommend it....it's your vehicle, hopefully everything holds up fine for you. Happy boosting bud :like:
Sorry didn't realize all of it didn't make screen shot. On gen2 '19 and up
Screenshot_20200129-112914_Samsung Internet.jpg

Sponsored

newmoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Cobra, 10 SS, 12 392, 12 5.0
no oil pump, crank gears?
Those would be my areas of concern. Every shop I have talked to says they are must have items, even on the 2019 & 20 models.

The Rooster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Interesting read.
I spoke to the shop that did the install and tune on my '17. Its a gen 3 Whipple tuned to 789 rwhp on 94 pump gas. This particular shop has been specializing on mustangs since the '80s and has done over 30 gt350 Whipple installs. I spoke to the owner about the need for billet sprockets and his opinion is that they're not necessary.... any more that tearing the engine down and rebuilding with stronger components... yes you can do it, but you don't have to at these power levels. Especially for a street driven car. Realistically how often can you drive a 850hp car at redline smashing gears on the street? They haven't had any failures to these gears, and his own car has over 60,000 kms of hard use without any issues.

He stressed that;
1) it is very important to run fresh 94 octane fuel, octane boost if 94 isn't available.
2) never thrash on the car until the oil is up to operating temp
3) the tune is everything. The base tune that comes with the kit shouldn't be trusted.
4) do not bounce if off the rev limiter, (for street use you won't give up too much by shifting at 8000rpms).

My car has 6800kms total with maybe half of that with the Whipple. Time will tell if its going to survive I guess, but it seems like theres a lot of people that like to jump on the band wagon of spreading fear based on what they've "heard". Theres plenty of stock 5.2s going south, same with 5.0s, camaros, hellcats, you name it... engines can fail. Sometimes its a batch of bad parts, sometimes assembly, sometimes abuse... theres any number of reasons but just because you "hear" of an issue it doesn't mean it'll happen to you.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Interesting read.
I spoke to the shop that did the install and tune on my '17. Its a gen 3 Whipple tuned to 789 rwhp on 94 pump gas. This particular shop has been specializing on mustangs since the '80s and has done over 30 gt350 Whipple installs. I spoke to the owner about the need for billet sprockets and his opinion is that they're not necessary.... any more that tearing the engine down and rebuilding with stronger components... yes you can do it, but you don't have to at these power levels. Especially for a street driven car. Realistically how often can you drive a 850hp car at redline smashing gears on the street? They haven't had any failures to these gears, and his own car has over 60,000 kms of hard use without any issues.

He stressed that;
1) it is very important to run fresh 94 octane fuel, octane boost if 94 isn't available.
3) the tune is everything. The base tune that comes with the kit shouldn't be trusted.
4) do not bounce if off the rev limiter, (for street use you won't give up too much by shifting at 8000rpms).

Normally every day stuff when you're FI'ing. Situation normal in my mind.

Kobi Addiction

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT350
Interesting read.

He stressed that;

My car has 6800kms total with maybe half of that with the Whipple. Time will tell if its going to survive I guess, but it seems like theres a lot of people that like to jump on the band wagon of spreading fear based on what they've "heard". Theres plenty of stock 5.2s going south, same with 5.0s, camaros, hellcats, you name it... engines can fail. Sometimes its a batch of bad parts, sometimes assembly, sometimes abuse... theres any number of reasons but just because you "hear" of an issue it doesn't mean it'll happen to you.
OPG/Sprocket has been the most common failure point with these engines, forced induction or not. Does it mean they all will fail? of course not. For such inexpensive billet replacements in the aftermarket, why not get it done for peace of mind? It is not a difficult swap to perform for a certified mechanic. We spend thousands on bolt-on parts to make our vehicles faster and perform "better", so spending another $1300 (parts and labor) to avoid a possible catastrophe is a no-brainer. Sleeping better at night knowing my OPG/Sprocket wont fail = Priceless

blueovalkid

The Snake Pit
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clint
Vehicle(s)
08 GT500, 17 GT350
I have a 2017 GT350 with a Gen 3 Whipple running a 3.5" pulley 13lbs boost. Lund E85 tuned. Factory OPG/CG. Stainless works headers into Borla exhaust
Granted I only have about 750 miles on this combo.
Car is now apart for OPG/CG, L&M cams, Fore return fuel system, Mantic triple disc clutch. Considering upgrading the short block while the motor is out....

Sponsored

Tonymustang302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2017 Turbo GT, 2019 GT350 racecar, 2021 GT500
any updates? any more recent guys running blower and stock opg? or added billet opg? any other issues for those with blower?
it seems like, what ive been reading, is the 19+’s can handle boost better. The reason fathouse does the 800r on stock internals.

NoXiDe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I'd love to see a high mileage supercharged 350. That will be the day a new bar has been set. Until then statistically there's not enough evidence to say high compression / supercharge mix well with the right sleeved and whatever else components. It's just another low mileage 350 that barely gets driven or even tracked. I need to see abuse before I'd say yeah I'm willing to throw away 20K on a supercharge / aftermarket built engine.

Tonymustang302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2017 Turbo GT, 2019 GT350 racecar, 2021 GT500
I'd love to see a high mileage supercharged 350. That will be the day a new bar has been set. Until then statistically there's not enough evidence to say high compression / supercharge mix well with the right sleeved and whatever else components. It's just another low mileage 350 that barely gets driven or even tracked. I need to see abuse before I'd say yeah I'm willing to throw away 20K on a supercharge / aftermarket built engine.
you can have a 2,000whp car last forever if you drive it like a grandma......or a stock gt blow up if you drive like an asshole

NoXiDe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
you can have a 2,000whp car last forever if you drive it like a grandma......or a stock gt blow up if you drive like an asshole
I'm not quite sure how to interpret your reply but my whole point of the above message is I'd be looking for a GT500 quality build that is designed to be abused at the track. Same thing as a the 350 @526hp. The above post was intended to mean I'd want more HP if I knew it could handle abuse of track use.
Sponsored