Sponsored

Who will swap for the new 7.3 V8!

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
So after you remove the 5.0 and install/fix the oil pump gears......
Pay for the SC including labor......
Fix the cam bearing caps.....
Fix the timing chains.......

You still say it's cheaper?

Many people swap out the K member to reduce weight.
When it gets to that point a 7.3 swap is best.

Nah dude, there's no replacement for displacement.

On race fuel and fully built, the 5.0 N/A makes north of 800hp.
LS/LT chevies and 3rd gen hemis beat that with pump gas.

Unless you're road racing and 99% of Mustang don't, only then the 5.0 is viable.
Roush supercharges S550s and they don't upgrade all those parts you mention. And those cars have a warranty to boot. You could certainly upgrade some parts if desired (I'd do the oil pump gears as a minimum), but it's not going to cost tons of money compared to a completely new engine, the transplant kit and associated computer & wire harnesses, the labor and tuning etc. And if you want to start modifying the 7.3L with aftermarket parts then that's a whole new level of time, labor and cost.
Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Funny how hot rodding now becomes “novelty projects”.

And again, people don’t wait for “transplant kits”. They fabricate. I built my own twin turbo kit for my fox body. I’ve fabricated motor and transmission mounts. People do this stuff all the time.

Your comments show you have no idea what’s involved with doing an engine swap of this nature. It’s really not that difficult for those of us that have the means.
What you just described certainly is a hot rod novelty project. :)

Actually ... I think many here do know "what's involved with doing an engine swap of this nature". It's more time, cost and pain than many wouldn't want to do unless they had a strong urge for a "novelty project". :wink:

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Roush supercharges S550s and they don't upgrade all those parts you mention. And those cars have a warranty to boot. You could certainly upgrade some parts if desired (I'd do the oil pump gears as a minimum), but it's not going to cost tons of money compared to a completely new engine, the transplant kit and associated computer & wire harnesses, the labor and tuning etc. And if you want to start modifying the 7.3L with aftermarket parts then that's a whole new level of time, labor and cost.
These two things show me you aren't understanding any of this. People aren't going to wait for a transplant kit, and most certainly will NOT be paying for any labor. We do these things ourselves, we don't pay people to do them for us.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
I have to say, there is a stark persona difference between these forums and foxbody forums. In the foxbody forums, people are asking questions...trying to figure out how to work on their cars themselves. In here, people seem to want to pay everyone to do the work for them. Perhaps it's just a generational thing.

NotagainV2

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
19 F150 19 Explorer 04 Thunderbird
I have to say, there is a stark persona difference between these forums and foxbody forums. In the foxbody forums, people are asking questions...trying to figure out how to work on their cars themselves. In here, people seem to want to pay everyone to do the work for them. Perhaps it's just a generational thing.
Gee you think maybe its because foxbodies have been swapped for decades and the S550 that this forum caters to not nearly as such? Get off the high horse yee is greater than all the rest mentality.

Psst your ego is showing.

I eagerly wait your swapped 7.3 and cant wait to see all your expertise on display for tuning and fabrication time and money dumped into a 7.3 swap........LOL

Sponsored

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Annnd, just like that, troll problem fixed.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe because the stock powertrains in Fox Bodys are awful, necessitating swaps or very significant changes (FI) for good performance, relative to a new family sedan?

I've never understood the love for the platform other than it's light.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
These two things show me you aren't understanding any of this. People aren't going to wait for a transplant kit, and most certainly will NOT be paying for any labor. We do these things ourselves, we don't pay people to do them for us.
I understand perfectly ... it's a "hot rod novelty project". Only someone who's got lots of time and money to burn would do this project. Post up photos, etc when you're done. :like:

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
Maybe because the stock powertrains in Fox Bodys are awful, necessitating swaps or very significant changes (FI) for good performance, relative to a new family sedan?

People like what they like. No justification needed.

Sponsored

2018OFPP1?2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Walt
Vehicle(s)
'92 LX 5.0 Vert, 2018 GT PP2

Oh no you didn't! Lol.

By today's standards, everything from back then was awful. The last C3 made a paltry 230hp with 5.7 liters!

IMO, the Fox has earned it's place in Mustang lore. Most were faster than their GM counterpart out of the box, and with light modification, could give a C4 Vette fits. It's been described as an attainable giant killer.

Even though it was based on the 1978 Fairmont, Steve Saleen was quite successful road racing it, and built a whole business on it, much like Carol Shelby did two decades earlier with the Falcon based first gen.

They remain extremely popular because they are relatively cheap (although becoming less so), easy to build, and fast as f*#! for the investment.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I just want to know who’s going to put a 7.3 into a POS MACHE...

:crazy:

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
You say that, but mention about grounding that the battery is right there. Again, ECU's are extremely sensitive to grounding offsets. They are the number one issue with aftermarket ECU's.
You should try installing on a 40ft Grand Banks setup vs a 21ft Sutphen. Battery location and size make a big difference in the simplicity of wiring. Yes, it is easier to ground when the battery is right next to the engine. The longer the wire, the more you have to consider increased resistance. Electrical engineering 101.

The capabilities aren't endless. Once you start getting close to 1500hp, you need to switch to an iron block. As great as the engine is, it has its limits. Hell, once you get past 800hp, the bores start to deform. Don't get me wrong, that's fantastic compared to the windsor splitting in half at 500. It's not however infallible.
I would guess more than 99% of the guys who mod their mustangs here will never approach 1500hp. There are plenty of Gen 3 Coyotes on here running over 800 engine hp with zero issues. The only racing you would ever need 1500hp for is drag racing. As I said, that doesn't interest me. So, for that 99%, the capabilities are endless. Even the 7.3 will have theoretical limitations. All that matters is that the engines can do what most users want.

Wait, so you are complaining that you feel the stand alone computers are too conservative (which they aren't). Now you are saying that Lund and PBD are conservative as well...but it's a good thing. You're contradicting yourself.
Nope, not what I am saying. Please reread. I said base tunes are conservative. That's why you datalog and have the maps/timing adjusted accordingly. I am on Rev 4 for my E85 tune. Just like with a standalone, you will get extra power by tweaking the baseline.

What? You are paying for someone else to tune your car. And you think that is less lazy than wiring a stand alone, setting initial setup paramaters and having a computer tune it for you? Seriously, I'd like to understand your thought here.
And again, you enjoy datalogging, but you aren't tuning the car. You do realize you can do the same thing with a stand alone ecu.
If you aren't even datalogging, it is lazy. Just like if you use a Lund base tune and never log it, it is being lazy. Neither one is really getting your hands "dirty". You aren't a master race car builder because you can plug in some wires and enter in some parameters on a computer. Yeah, it takes a little more work to install a standalone, but it isn't exactly difficult.
This whole debate started because you said there was no reason to tune a standalone. A 1 minute search of the Holley forums shows you are incorrect. There are many threads on the benefits of reducing learned compensation then adjusting the maps based on logs, and the people discussing it are the experts who sell and tune the systems. I never said the systems can't run ok without any user adjustments. I said often they need a little help, especially in completely custom applications (like a boat where the operational conditions don't even come close to matching a car).

Hopefully you didn't ground the audio system on the same block as the ECU! Sorry, I had to.
ohyou.jpg

Anyway, I am done with this thread. Gonna unfollow, because none of the people posting here will ever install a 7.3 in their S550.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP

It was light and had endless support for modification. You want a dragstrip terror. Parts were available. You want a track monster...parts again, available. And they were so abundant that prices were reasonable.

You should try installing on a 40ft Grand Banks setup vs a 21ft Sutphen. Battery location and size make a big difference in the simplicity of wiring. Yes, it is easier to ground when the battery is right next to the engine. The longer the wire, the more you have to consider increased resistance. Electrical engineering 101.
Simplicity of wiring, yes. Relocating the battery on a fox requires a fat ground ran up to the block and engine bay. With that said, the ECU grounds still should be located on a separate dedicated grounding terminal. This is especially true of aftermarket ECU's, as they seem to be more sensitive.

I would guess more than 99% of the guys who mod their mustangs here will never approach 1500hp. There are plenty of Gen 3 Coyotes on here running over 800 engine hp with zero issues. The only racing you would ever need 1500hp for is drag racing. As I said, that doesn't interest me. So, for that 99%, the capabilities are endless. Even the 7.3 will have theoretical limitations. All that matters is that the engines can do what most users want.
Maybe you should clarify this in your future posts. You didn't mention that you were talking about the capabilities as it fits you.

Nope, not what I am saying. Please reread. I said base tunes are conservative. That's why you datalog and have the maps/timing adjusted accordingly. I am on Rev 4 for my E85 tune. Just like with a standalone, you will get extra power by tweaking the baseline.
Yes, they are conservative (at startup). Your previous comments taken in context were of a negative connotation towards a stand alone ECU for having a conservative tune. Let's look at your original post again.

No, I don't trust the ECUs to maximize performance. I have been the guy creating the fuel mapping for the ECUs. The ECU only adjusts according to the parameters that are programmed in it. For liability reasons, they always run conservative. They are also thrown off when sensor readings aren't exactly the same in different applications.
Care to elaborate on this? I've already told you...from first hand experience this is only true at first startup. You seem to somehow think an aftermarket ECU runs conservative at all times...which again is not true at all.

If you aren't even datalogging, it is lazy. Just like if you use a Lund base tune and never log it, it is being lazy. Neither one is really getting your hands "dirty". You aren't a master race car builder because you can plug in some wires and enter in some parameters on a computer. Yeah, it takes a little more work to install a standalone, but it isn't exactly difficult.
You aren't doing anything with datalogging though! You aren't tuning your car. You are simply looking at the data. If you see something wrong, you can't fix it! And by constantly going through the data, you are saying you don't trust the tune you paid someone else for. Go through it once or twice after you get the tune, sure. After that...you shouldn't be looking at it ever again...unless you notice something wrong with your car or make a change.

This whole debate started because you said there was no reason to tune a standalone. A 1 minute search of the Holley forums shows you are incorrect. There are many threads on the benefits of reducing learned compensation, and the people discussing it are the experts who sell and tune the systems. I never said the systems can't run ok without any user adjustments. I said often they need a little help, especially in completely custom applications (like a boat where the operational conditions don't even come close to matching a car).
OK, were in a car forum. Let's stop talking about boats..seriously. It has nothing to do with the conversation.

In regards to stand alones, they work PHENOMENALLY well out of the box. They don't require any changes to "learned compensation". I've been in the holley forums as well as countless others specializing in tuning. I've used stand alones on multiple vehicles with different engine combinations while also using turbos. For the 99%, there is no need to alter anything but total timing, and (sometimes) the idle air fuel ratio and timing.

I have to say though, 99% who are installing their own stand alone have no problem tweaking these areas if need be...and it only needs to be done once.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Oh no you didn't! Lol.

By today's standards, everything from back then was awful. The last C3 made a paltry 230hp with 5.7 liters!

IMO, the Fox has earned it's place in Mustang lore. Most were faster than their GM counterpart out of the box, and with light modification, could give a C4 Vette fits. It's been described as an attainable giant killer.

Even though it was based on the 1978 Fairmont, Steve Saleen was quite successful road racing it, and built a whole business on it, much like Carol Shelby did two decades earlier with the Falcon based first gen.

They remain extremely popular because they are relatively cheap (although becoming less so), easy to build, and fast as f*#! for the investment.
People use what they can get. I get it at the time they were being produced. What I don't understand is why they're popular now, unless you are building a drag-only race car? I don't drag race but for the fun test and tune night once a year.
Sponsored