Sponsored

MT-82 Improvements

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
I swapped out the OEM shifter base bushing bracket for the Steeda unit. There was an increase in NVH, especially with my hand on the knob. It makes sense because the OEM bushing is cushy rubber and the Steeda bushing is stiff polyurethane. Swapping the transmission mount bushing from rubber to polyurethane would have the same result, only intensified by the whole transmission.

Good for racing, not good for street comfort.
Sponsored

Ronnoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Thank you all for your replies and for bringing me to my senses. I'll wait until I take delivery of the car and drive it for some time, and then I'll decide. :like:

There's something else that springs to my mind. Short-throw shifters seem to be held in high regard. There are many options to choose from, and many owners install them and then swear that they're incredibly better than stock ones in each and every respect. And I have no reason to doubt that it's true.
However, Ford is one of the most experienced car manufacturers in the world. We're not talking about a cheap Korean factory that's taken up car building simply to make money. We're talking about a company that loves cars, that lives for cars, that has a long history of making good cars, some of them even bordering on the exquisite. If anybody can build a proper gearbox and shifter, Ford must be it. So I can't imagine that after all these years of selling these gearboxes only to have their owners install aftermarket shifters, Ford are unable to come up with such a shifter themselves. And I doubt it's a matter of cost either. This is an expensive car. If customers are willing to pay 1700 dollars for a good suspension, I doubt they'd be reluctant to pay 400 more for a good shifter.
Which brings me on to my question: could it be that the sloppiness inherent to the stock shifter, which aftermarket shifters are supposed to cure, is there for a reason? Could Ford make the shifter intentionally a bit 'sloppier' in order to smoothen out the vibrations of the engine and gearbox, to stop them from transmitting into the cabin? I imagine that a big V8 is bound to vibrate a lot.
Those of you who have aftermarket short-throw shifters, especially the kind that attaches firmly to the gearbox, doesn't your shifter vibrate like hell now?
You have to understand Ford buys the Mt-82 Transmission from MAGNA (formally GETRAG) a car parts supplier. Ford isn't designing and building this transmission in house to be the best it can be with all of their resources, they simply buy it from a supplier because its cheap. So you're right, we're not talking about a cheap Korean factory here, we're talking about a cheap Chinese factory here. Hence the remote shifter assembly and slop people feel which leads them to swap in well engineered aftermarket shifters.

2017GBGTPP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue Premium GTPP w/ Recaros
I just ordered the BG fluid, and I intend to install a shifter transmission mount (probably FTBR since it's cheaper than Blowfish and I don't need a driveshaft loop) and a transmission bushing. I feel like this should give me 90% of the benefits of a new shifter at less than half the price. I may also swap the stick for a shorter one if I feel the need for a short throw.

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
"Magna PT supplies transmissions to a variety of automotive manufacturers, including BMW (Mini), Daimler AG, Ferrari, Mitsubishi, Porsche, Qoros, Renault, Volkswagen Group and Volvo." Not a bad list of customers.

The transmission itself is not the cause of sloppy shifting, it could be used with a direct connection shifter (and may be in other applications). The 2019 version has a number of changes (improvements ?) in the xmsn and the shifter. Mine works well, could be better but I don't want more NVH so it's a tradeoff.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I just ordered the BG fluid, and I intend to install a shifter transmission mount (probably FTBR since it's cheaper than Blowfish and I don't need a driveshaft loop) and a transmission bushing. I feel like this should give me 90% of the benefits of a new shifter at less than half the price. I may also swap the stick for a shorter one if I feel the need for a short throw.
I'd advise against the transmission bushing unless you like to hear everything in your trans. Tons of noise and vibration associated with that.

Joedag1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I used the steeda bushing insert. Felt like driving a tank on the streets. The car shook violently while driving. Even a neutral rev felt like the car was going to explode.
That’s so strange, I didn’t experience anything like that at all and I did the transmission bushing and shifter bushing. I’m very happy with the results. I was expecting some NVH and there was none.

2017GBGTPP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue Premium GTPP w/ Recaros
I'd advise against the transmission bushing unless you like to hear everything in your trans. Tons of noise and vibration associated with that.
Thanks for the advice. That was last thing on my list if the vibration needed help, but I won't do it if it makes it worse.

Count Drunkula

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I have a 17 GT and I didn't much like the shift on mine.
The fluid seems to make the biggest difference. I'm in the UK and BG wasn't an option, but I could get Motul Multi DCTF and this made a massive improvement. I have also done the Steeda spring, which I like better than the stock item and also added a Boobma Racing shifter base bracket, together with a weighted shift knob, both of which have also helped.
As others have said, drive it around stock for a bit and see what you think first.

NC252

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dwayne
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro - 2020 GMC Denali HD - 2020 GT500
Hello,

In order not to hijack the other thread about manual vs. automatic transmissions, I'd like to open a separate thread to discuss how the MT-82 can be improved. I've ordered my 2020 GT with a manual gearbox, and since the delivery is only expected to take place seven months from now, I've got a lot of time on my hands, which I can use to think about possible improvements and to start searching for and ordering whatever parts and/or accessories might be needed.

Thank you.
I asked about ordering a GT this past Saturday and was told 6 to 8 weeks, was I lied to?

Sponsored
OP
OP
Vlad Soare

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Waiting times are much longer in Europe. :)
It takes six to eight weeks to make the car, but then it's shipped to a factory in Belgium, where it undergoes a series of changes and tests to comply with European legislation, then sent to another factory in Spain, where I can't remember what happens, then shipped to its destination country. And all of the shipping happens by sea. Spain to Romania alone takes one month.

NC252

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dwayne
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro - 2020 GMC Denali HD - 2020 GT500
Waiting times are much longer in Europe. :)
It takes six to eight weeks to make the car, but then it's shipped to a factory in Belgium, where it undergoes a series of changes and tests to comply with European legislation, then sent to another factory in Spain, where I can't remember what happens, then shipped to its destination country. And all of the shipping happens by sea. Spain to Romania alone takes one month.
I didn't even look at where you were from. :)

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah I ordered end of December and have been told early May - we will see ...

WD :like:

Hilfloskind

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Ecoboost Convertible - Kona Blue
I just picked up a 2018 Ecoboost Vert with the MT. I was actually a bit nervous about what to expect from the Ford manual vs my previous two vehicles: 1st a MK4 VW Golf, then a 2011 MK6 VW GTI which I owned for the past 10 years until it was totalled in a collision. The VW manual is pretty amazing and has a reputation as such which is justified.

That being said, it's manual or no bueno from me for any vehicle. I did enjoy the A10 I got to try out with the rental between purchases. It was a fantastic transmission and the paddles are responsive and crisp...but it just feels like I'm playing a video game, not driving my car.

I have to say though, seems like it has room for improvement given all these posts. In my opinion, the feel of the stick, shortness (vs a VW) of the throw and overall feel of the shifter itself is really top notch on this Stang.

I'd been reading these forums for the past few weeks in preparation for getting the car, so I was prepared for a disappointing clutch pedal spring. I read about the Steeda spring and saved the page just in case. Within the first 4 days of ownership, I ordered it. The vagueness and resistant feel was frustrating and distracting from the experience of a manual transmission. I literally installed it in 10 mins in my work parking lot during lunch. Drastic improvement! This is exactly how it should have left the factory, not with that terrible clutch assist spring.

To me, I really don't feel any desire to modify anything further with the tranny. I love it even more than the VW, to be honest.

OP
OP
Vlad Soare

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
About the clutch spring, I'm looking at Steeda's description, and it seems to me it's noticeably weaker than the factory one. So, my understanding is that the original setup is too hard (i.e. it requires too much effort to depress the clutch pedal, and/or to release it slowly), and this custom spring is supposed to make it softer. Is this correct?
Sponsored