Sponsored

Can we expect a DCT on the next Mustang GT?

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
Yes.. Was meant to be separate. Figure out how to do it like the superfast but cheaply. But that should be obvious.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Man I hope so! That's about the only thing that would make me trade up.

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
The manual guys still get to drive a manual and those who want an auto can get the extra computer and different interface. Sure, no one has done it yet but it would use one transmission for two styles of driving.
It's been done already, by BMW about 20 years ago. The early 2000's M3's had either a full manual or a shift by wire auto which under the fancy auto shifter was the same trans as the manual but with a shift by wire setup and computer controlled clutch. Eventually the hydraulic control unit would fail so the aftermarket came up with a conversion to go back to full manual by ditching the hydraulic unit, adding back in the third pedal, about 1500 in machining work and a tune.

Sponsored

BiancoV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 1969 Torino GT
Nope, I doubt it very much. I think the DCT will remain a GT500-only feature. It's the GT500's unique selling point, much like the flat plane crank is to the GT350. I'm not a betting man, but even I'd put money on the 10-speed auto being the only "auto" available for S650.

There's the rumor that the '21MY Mach 1 will receive the Tremec 6-speed manual from the GT350...........this could......could filter down to the S650 GT, but that's just wishful thinking on my part at the moment.

Oh....and I'm obviously talking next-gen Mustang (S650) here....and that won't be with us until at least the '23MY. There's zero chance of the DCT in what we think will be a mild facelifted '21MY
you should be a betting man with those thoughts...

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I hope not. I have yet to see a DCT that drives as nicely and smoothly as a proper automatic.
Sure, they feel good on the track and are a few milliseconds faster on upshifts, but for normal driving, especially in urban areas, they're brutal and jerky. Not to mention fragile and expensive to maintain and to fix.

It took me some time to decide whether I wanted the A10 or the MT-82. In the end I chose the manual, but it was a close call. Had I had to choose between MT-82 and a DCT, I wouldn't have hesitated for one second.

Last edited:

pmr2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Fastback, 1975 Corvette Coupe
Yep agreed probably won't see DCT trickle down. Also agree the one in the old Focus was not good, I had a friend with one nothing but issues since it was new.

Hopefully Ford's 2022 landscape after their restructuring puts them in a better place and can justify keeping what is becoming a niche car.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
DCT's have caused makers including Ford huge warranty claim costs hence the reason they are dropping them left right and centre and going back to more reliable torque converters. Most people don't know the difference and when driving Miss Daisy there is no difference !

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
It's been done already, by BMW about 20 years ago. The early 2000's M3's had either a full manual or a shift by wire auto which under the fancy auto shifter was the same trans as the manual but with a shift by wire setup and computer controlled clutch. Eventually the hydraulic control unit would fail so the aftermarket came up with a conversion to go back to full manual by ditching the hydraulic unit, adding back in the third pedal, about 1500 in machining work and a tune.
I believe you're thinking of the E46 M3 with the SMG transmission. IIRC, you needed to pull the hydraulic clutch actuator off the transmission, add the third pedal in its place, yank the shifting mechanism, set up the manual linkage, add a gear sensor for the ECU, and cut some shift detents inside the bell housing. Not quite a "Saturday in the driveway" task, but doable.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
Did you just use cheaply and 812 Superfast in the same sentence? :cwl::crackup:
Use corvette then.

it’s just a rear transaxle, nothing ground breaking. It will affect the mustang wholly however. Good luck having a backseat after that.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I believe you're thinking of the E46 M3 with the SMG transmission . IIRC, you needed to pull the hydraulic clutch actuator off the transmission, add the third pedal in it's place, yank the shifting mechanism, set up the manual linkage, add a gear sensor for the ECU, and cut some shift detents inside the bell housing. Not quite a "Saturday in the driveway" task, but doable.
Ant Anstead did one of these conversions this past season on Wheeler Dealers. It was very interesting.

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
I believe you're thinking of the E46 M3 with the SMG transmission . IIRC, you needed to pull the hydraulic clutch actuator off the transmission, add the third pedal in it's place, yank the shifting mechanism, set up the manual linkage, add a gear sensor for the ECU, and cut some shift detents inside the bell housing. Not quite a "Saturday in the driveway" task, but doable.
I was, thank you for reminding me of exactly what it was called but that is the car and trans I was talking about. My point was that using the same trans for two different applications (a full manual or an auto) has been done before.

13GetThere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lynn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP2 Magnet Grey
Just don't see dumping a bunch of the high end parts from the GT 500 into the Mustang GT and expecting to sell a bunch of them. Now a limited run might be different, but Ford would have to keep the price under the GT350, but I don't see that happening. Then again, I'm not a fortune teller.
Sponsored