Sponsored

Installed a Tremec Magnum XL in my S550

ponie1992

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red PP GT
How

How did you pair it if it didn’t show up? I thought the pairing took place in the app by selecting the device. Was your VSS unplugged? Have you tried unpairing and starting over? I don’t have my car any more, or I would take a look at my app. That’s all I could think of off the top of my head.
I didn't know to disconnect the VSS and thought that would be the problem. Disconnected it and went through the following steps:

1. Turn on phone bluetooth.
2. Power on the car.
3. Selected the all in one, in my phones bluetooth device list. Phone showed it was paired.
4. Opened the app, but device doesn't show.

I tried several times with no luck. Idk if I'm doing something wrong or the device is defective or something. Very frustrating, considering how much the all in one costs.

Any other suggestions?
Sponsored

ckendri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I didn't know to disconnect the VSS and thought that would be the problem. Disconnected it and went through the following steps:

1. Turn on phone bluetooth.
2. Power on the car.
3. Selected the all in one, in my phones bluetooth device list. Phone showed it was paired.
4. Opened the app, but device doesn't show.

I tried several times with no luck. Idk if I'm doing something wrong or the device is defective or something. Very frustrating, considering how much the all in one costs.

Any other suggestions?
I don’t think you are supposed to pair through your phone’s default Bluetooth settings. I think you are supposed to turn Bluetooth on, then open the app, and then pair from there. Not sure if that makes a difference or if you did it that way the first time. I would unpair and open the app to start over if you didn’t do the pair through the app the first time.

ponie1992

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red PP GT
I don’t think you are supposed to pair through your phone’s default Bluetooth settings. I think you are supposed to turn Bluetooth on, then open the app, and then pair from there. Not sure if that makes a difference or if you did it that way the first time. I would unpair and open the app to start over if you didn’t do the pair through the app the first time.
Definitely something to try. Hopefully that's the problem. I'll give it a shot tomorrow, thank you!

ponie1992

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red PP GT
So, I finally got the app to connect today. I tried the previous suggestion of connecting through the app. Again, this did not work.
I then deleted and redownloaded the app and a message popped up for me to choose when the app can use my location. This made me wonder if the app needs a location to work correctly for some reason. I opened the app, but it did not connect. I then turned on my location and what do you know, my device popped up in the app and I was able to select it and make the necessary changes.
I haven't seen anywhere stating that you need to have location on for it to connect. Weird.

Sponsored

ponie1992

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red PP GT
Update with my swap: issues!

1. The clutch starts to grab just off the floor, which I can't stand and not good for drag racing when trying to shift as fast as possible. At times, my car will actually move a tad when putting it in gear at a dead stop. It's also somewhat difficult at times to put it in gear when stopped.
2. My cruise control doesn't work in 4th, 5th or 6th (only gears I've tried). I assume this is an issue with the all in one harness. I thought maybe the parameters didn't save when I set them up. I attempted to change them, but cannot get into any settings in the Bowler app. I can get the app to connect, but when I pick a category from the main screen it'll open it up except that any options showing are grayed out and I can't select them. In certain categories, nothing is displayed. Also, when I touch disconnect, a bunch of upload errors scroll through at the bottom of the app. Reverse lockout, backup camera and reverse lights all appear to work fine.
3. My car appears to be pulling timing in 3rd and 5th. I got my ngauge from PBD yesterday and I monitored total timing and #1 cylinder timing. In those two gears, timing will drop when just rolling into the throttle. I had this issue on my initial test drive about a week ago, but got misfire codes. I didn't know that most clutch installs require a crank relearn. Since I haven't gotten my tune from PBD yet, a guy in the HP Tuners Facebook group was able to write a "tune" with my stock file so that the ngauge would marry and allow me to do the crank relearn. I also did a KAM reset. On my drive today, no codes were thrown.

What do you guys think? This swap has kinda been a nightmare and plagued with issues. I would really like to enjoy the car and get the break in miles logged, but fear something is seriously wrong and that something will tear up if I keep driving it. Any help is appreciated.

OP
OP

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
1. What slave are you using and did you measure pressure plate to slave engagement?

2. Cruise control is corrected from your tuner. You provide them with your hearing and they will make the corrections.

3. This also has to do with your tune most likely or you’re getting false knock if you had no knock previously.

ponie1992

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red PP GT
1. What slave are you using and did you measure pressure plate to slave engagement?

2. Cruise control is corrected from your tuner. You provide them with your hearing and they will make the corrections.

3. This also has to do with your tune most likely or you’re getting false knock if you had no knock previously.
I'm using the stock slave and Ram clutch that you are. My clutch has a steel flywheel and metallic friction discs, so not sure if that changes the clutch height from what yours is. I took all measurements and made my calculations using the sheet that comes with the Ram clutch.

Where does your clutch start to engage?

I get what you're saying on 2 and 3. But, I wonder why I can't change anything in the all in one app. Would I need to disconnect the VSS again? The instructions say only for the first time.

I'll be speaking with Ram asap and double check my measurements with them. I'm pretty sure I'll have to shim the slave. I also installed a McLeod braided clutch line at the time of the swap. That shouldn't have any negative effect on clutch engagement, but who knows.

OP
OP

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
Ok so we are very similar on clutch setup other than clutch material but that won’t change the stack height of the clutch. My only other concern was if the slave was bench bled properly. If not, no amount of pedal presses will clear all the air nor the Ford process. This would cause the slave to not fully depress the pressure plate fingers making clutch drag possible and difficulty getting into gear(s).
My clutch starts to engage maybe a couple inches off the floor. I’m not shimmed at all as my measurements depressed the slave right around the 1/2 inch mark with clutch at rest. The TREMEC is set up to not need any shimming with the stock slave. Using an adjustable slave is a different story.
I have no idea why you can’t connect. I use an iPhone and never had an issue. I recommend getting ahold of Bowler for their support.
Your clutch line shouldn’t give you any issue at all as long as all air is removed.

Keep us updated on the results/changes.

ponie1992

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red PP GT
Ok so we are very similar on clutch setup other than clutch material but that won’t change the stack height of the clutch. My only other concern was if the slave was bench bled properly. If not, no amount of pedal presses will clear all the air nor the Ford process. This would cause the slave to not fully depress the pressure plate fingers making clutch drag possible and difficulty getting into gear(s).
My clutch starts to engage maybe a couple inches off the floor. I’m not shimmed at all as my measurements depressed the slave right around the 1/2 inch mark with clutch at rest. The TREMEC is set up to not need any shimming with the stock slave. Using an adjustable slave is a different story.
I have no idea why you can’t connect. I use an iPhone and never had an issue. I recommend getting ahold of Bowler for their support.
Your clutch line shouldn’t give you any issue at all as long as all air is removed.

Keep us updated on the results/changes.
Very much appreciate all the info and advice. I will admit that the slave was not bench bled. I wasn't aware that had to be done. I assumed I could get it bled using the Ford procedure. My dumb mistake. I did speak with Ram and they think there may be some air still trapped and that the metallic discs take a bit more time to bed than the organic.
Any advice on the slave at this point? I'm gonna bleed it some more now.

Sponsored
OP
OP

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
Yes but you probably don’t want to hear it.

Remove the trans, pull the slave and bench bleed it. Also, don’t reconnect the clutch line to the elbow until the trans is fully mated to the block. Yes some brake fluid will come out of the elbow but that’s a good sign knowing that the slave is compressing some.

ponie1992

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red PP GT

Remove the trans, pull the slave and bench bleed it. Also, don’t reconnect the clutch line to the elbow until the trans is fully mated to the block. Yes some brake fluid will come out of the elbow but that’s a good sign knowing that the slave is compressing some.
Yep, definitely not what I wanted to hear but gue

Yep, definitely not what I wanted to hear, but I may have found the culprit. I'll report back if I'm correct.

ponie1992

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red PP GT

Sent you a pm.

ponie1992

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red PP GT
Update on mine:

No matter what I tried, just couldn't get the clutch to start engagement any higher. It's literally just off the floor, probably less than an inch. Dropped the car off at Ram and they are gonna tear her down and go through everything. By my measurements, everything should have been fine. But, something isn't jiving. Should know more in the next day or so.

As for the 3rd and 5th gear issues... they have been resolved as I've gotten the base tune from PBD. Didn't get a chance to test the cruise control.

Also contacted Bowler and verified same issue with android and iPhone, so they are investigating into that.

Still have the rev hang or shift assist, whatever it's called. Asked PBD to please remove it with the tune and the response was that there is no shift assist in the tune. I hope it doesn't become a hassle to get that outta there, cause it's stupid annoying when trying to drive through heavy traffic and anytime really. We'll see how that goes.

aleccesarenriquez

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alec
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Update on mine:

No matter what I tried, just couldn't get the clutch to start engagement any higher. It's literally just off the floor, probably less than an inch. Dropped the car off at Ram and they are gonna tear her down and go through everything. By my measurements, everything should have been fine. But, something isn't jiving. Should know more in the next day or so.

As for the 3rd and 5th gear issues... they have been resolved as I've gotten the base tune from PBD. Didn't get a chance to test the cruise control.

Also contacted Bowler and verified same issue with android and iPhone, so they are investigating into that.

Still have the rev hang or shift assist, whatever it's called. Asked PBD to please remove it with the tune and the response was that there is no shift assist in the tune. I hope it doesn't become a hassle to get that outta there, cause it's stupid annoying when trying to drive through heavy traffic and anytime really. We'll see how that goes.
They might call it launch assist. That’s what lund called it on mine. It’s 100% something that needs to be disabled. Went away completely after he disabled the right thing.
Sponsored