Sponsored

SCT X4 tuners

poncho@home

GettingOld
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
Do all year SCT X4 tuners SKU 7015 work with 2017 Mustang GT? I have a couple of guys selling some locally used, but the both list them as 1996-2014 Ford vehicles.
Sponsored

LethalPerformance

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 CFTP, 2021 Whipple'd F150
Do all year SCT X4 tuners SKU 7015 work with 2017 Mustang GT? I have a couple of guys selling some locally used, but the both list them as 1996-2014 Ford vehicles.
The X4 will indeed work on a 15-17 mustang with no issues. Have you looked into an Ngauge? We switched over to them on our last few project cars and never had a reason to go back to the X4. If you'd like more info on the Ngauge give us a shout and we'll be glad to assist you.

https://www.lethalperformance.com/e-motion-ngauge-tuning-and-monitoring-gauge.html
lr-1234_1.jpg

https://www.lethalperformance.com/p...d-custom-tuning-for-2011-2017-mustang-gt.html
ngauge-600x475_2.png

OP
OP
poncho@home

poncho@home

GettingOld
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
I have no particular preference between the 2, never used either and never tuned a Ford before. Only reason I asked about the SCT x4 is because there are a couple in my area for sale used for cheap, much cheaper than the nguage new. Currently my car currently has a Ford Performace Pack 1 tune, but I intend to install a 2018 IM and airbox this summer so will need a tune for that. I don't plan on any more mods in the foreseeable future after those, so in theory I will upload a custom tune once and maybe some tweaks after that to dial it in and forget about it.

LethalPerformance

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 CFTP, 2021 Whipple'd F150
I have no particular preference between the 2, never used either and never tuned a Ford before. Only reason I asked about the SCT x4 is because there are a couple in my area for sale used for cheap, much cheaper than the nguage new. Currently my car currently has a Ford Performace Pack 1 tune, but I intend to install a 2018 IM and airbox this summer so will need a tune for that. I don't plan on any more mods in the foreseeable future after those, so in theory I will upload a custom tune once and maybe some tweaks after that to dial it in and forget about it.
I get that you may be able to save some money by finding a used device however keep in mind you'll want to make sure that the device works and isn't locked to a vehicle. If it's broken or locked to a VIN then the money you think you were saving just cost you more in the end.

My recommendation again would be to go with a new Ngauge with custom tune from either Lund Racing or Palm Beach Dyno. Both of those guys will also recommend the Ngauge over anything else as it's smaller, easier to mount and easier to use for flashing/datalogging and monitoring diagnostics.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks!

OP
OP
poncho@home

poncho@home

GettingOld
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
This is the device info. Is it a recent version?
SCT_X4.jpeg

Sponsored

ChiTownStang26

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium ~2016 Mustang V6(sold)~
You can update the firmware from your computer which you will have to more than likely. It states its unmarried which is what you want, meaning it's not locked to another vehicle. When you go to buy, plug it in quick to make sure it states unmarried and has at least 1 unlock left, and you should be good to go after a quick update and upload of your tune files. I had a 16 v6 with a x4, traded up to a 16 gt and the same x4 worked if that helps.

IMO if you can afford a ngauge get it. Its newer, faster, and easier to use. If your trying save a few bucks and are handy with tech than go for the x4.

OP
OP
poncho@home

poncho@home

GettingOld
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
To be honest, its a big price difference for me. The used SCT tuners run about $250-300 CDN her locally. Rarely see ngauge used for sale. A new ngauge will run me around $700 CDN. I am pretty good with tech stuff, I am in the IT field.

However, I am still mulling it, depends how much a tune will cost on the SCT.

Just doing all my research before I buy something.

Goterr0r

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
Another huge advantage of the NGauge is the easy logging ability. If your going to change your IM like you mentioned or run e85 in the future, the NGauge makes it so so much easier. I've used the SCT products before and they work, but really the NGauge is the way to go if you plan on keeping the car for awhile or making more modifications.

ChiTownStang26

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@poncho@home

A tune from any tuning company is going to cost the same whether it's a x4 or ngauge.

Ngauges new are $400 same as x4s, your seeing the ngauge for 700 that includes the tune. Lund will sell you a ngauge with a tune for 570 as long as you dont have extra modifications i.e. intake manifold, injectors, supercharger...

If you have an extra $100-150 I'd definitely go with the ngauge.

As some else mentioned above it will make the dataloging process of getting your tune squared away much easier. X4 can only save 1 datalog at a time so I have to have mine connected to a laptop when I want to record multiple.

X4s take longer to flash tunes also, so if your battery is weak and dies in the middle of the flash your cars computer will be bricked!

Hope this helps!

P.s. X4 have very weak processing power compared to the ngauge, so your datalog data your tuner will look at will not be as precise. I'm not a tuner but I'd imagine that helps with "smoothing" out the tune or fine tuning better. I'm pretty sure I heard Alex from lund say something similar to that. Its like your buying an old Intel q series CPU from 2007 instead of a new 9 series for your gaming computer.

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP
poncho@home

poncho@home

GettingOld
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
@poncho@home

A tune from any tuning company is going to cost the same whether it's a x4 or ngauge.

Ngauges new are $400 same as x4s, your seeing the ngauge for 700 that includes the tune. Lund will sell you a ngauge with a tune for 570 as long as you dont have extra modifications i.e. intake manifold, injectors, supercharger...

If you have an extra $100-150 I'd definitely go with the ngauge.

As some else mentioned above it will make the dataloging process of getting your tune squared away much easier. X4 can only save 1 datalog at a time so I have to have mine connected to a laptop when I want to record multiple.

Hope this helps!
Just to be clear, I am talking $700 in CDN funds, without a tune. I am looking at closer to $850 for a Ngauge with a tune, again in CDN funds. Currency exchange, cross border shipping and taxes & duties all add up.

Having said that, your point about data-logging is very germaine to my decision. I was not aware of the restrictions with the SCT devices when it come to data-logging. While I don't really expect to make more modifications after the 2018+ intake manifold and OEM air box, I won't rule it out completely. I can see myself doing a set of headers in another year or so.

I am relatively new to the modern Mustang world and modern tuning, but I was tuning my own ECU back in the early 2000s on my 1989 Trans Am. At the time I had to build my own OBD circuit board to datalog and was reprogramming the EPROM in an external EPROM programmer. No flashing ECUs back then! I datalogged all the time constantly tweaking my tune getting dialed in. Reading MAF values, timing, knock retard and short & long term fuel trims.... It was cumbersome process, laptop in the car, pull EPROM from ECU reflash it in programmer and pop back in to repeat the process. I made small changes as to not screw anything up.

All that to say, thanks, I think you've convinced me to search out a NGauge.

ChiTownStang26

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sorry I didnt know the exchange rate and taxes are that bad! I love a dude that can make his own work arounds on a project, dying breed I tell you!

With your past experience tuning older ecus mixed with your current understanding of tech, you might want to look into hp tuners and you can do it all yourself again! Now I know it's going to be completely different but your understanding of these systems MAF curves, fuel tables, ect. would give you a leg up. Just some food for thought.

Anytime brother, PM me if you have any follow up questions about anything.
Sponsored