maddseason

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang PP2
Vehicle Showcase
Hello forum. So I will be joining the mustang family in early April. I've order the 2020 GT with the PP2 package. I want to buy a second set of wheels and tires. I have chosen my wheels Vertini RFS1.7 20" wheels. http://vertiniwheels.com/rfs1-7/
but now I need to select tires. The OEM tires are 305/30/19 and i want to know if I can fit 295 or 305 in the back and 305 in front? Also can I go with 10.5 wheels in the front, again I want to move up to 20" wheels. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. I do plan to upgrade to the cobra ford performance springs which will lower the car about 1".
Sponsored

Last edited:

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
Actually, the stock tires are 305/30/19, about 1.2" smaller in diameter than a 305/35/19. The stock wheel specs are front 19x10.5 +24, rear 19x11 +48. You might try one of the wheel/tire calculators out there if you choose a different width wheel than stock.

Grey19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium, 2018 F150
Good looking wheel. Please post a pic if you get them!

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
My favorite calculator is: https://www.tire-size-calculator.info/

Not sure of width but just looking at the 275/40R19 vs the PP2 305/30R19, the 305/30 is 1.5" in diameter less. This is how the car's ride height is reduced by about 3/4" form a PP1 or stock GT.

The 305/30 is 26.2" in diameter while the 275/40 is 27.7" in diameter. You will need to see about the width and if you need different offset wheels (the front offset is 45mm on a PP1 while the PP2 has 24mm offset in order to push the tire out of the wheel well. This increases track width but also might have been done for fitment. ).

I would be hopeful to believe that if a 27.7" diameter tire fits, then it might also fit for a larger tire up front.

From the calculator, a 305/30R20 will have a diameter of 27.2" which is still less than a 275/40. Of course more stock PP1 and GT have 255/40 up front (27" diameter tire).

I would do a search to see who has mounted a 275/40 up front to see how much room there is. It might just be too tall.

For winter, I have a set of 275/35R19 but they are very close to the 305/30 in diameter. Even a 275/35 would still add about 1.4" to the diameter.

I think a search is your best friend....

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
You can fit 305 front and rear no problem.

upload_2020-1-10_8-21-48.png

I know you said you wanted 20" wheels but this should give you an idea of fitment. I personally would advise against 20s. Other than aesthetic personal preference, there is zero reason to get 20s. You will be slowing acceleration/braking, wheels are more expensive, tires are more expensive, and less tire options. Just my $0.02

Sponsored

OP
OP
maddseason

maddseason

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang PP2
Vehicle Showcase
You can fit 305 front and rear no problem.

upload_2020-1-10_8-21-48.png

I know you said you wanted 20" wheels but this should give you an idea of fitment. I personally would advise against 20s. Other than aesthetic personal preference, there is zero reason to get 20s. You will be slowing acceleration/braking, wheels are more expensive, tires are more expensive, and less tire options. Just my $0.02
No, you are right. and a previous response correcting me about the aspect ratio which i said 35. that came from a dealer in toronto and then I search to get the actual specs. So i will do 19s with same size tire just continental, or probably the potenza. With the cobra ford performance springs dropping the car the wheel gap will be tight which is what i want and i won't loose the performance. i have 20s on my maxima and it looks really good.

OP
OP
maddseason

maddseason

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang PP2
Vehicle Showcase
My favorite calculator is: https://www.tire-size-calculator.info/

Not sure of width but just looking at the 275/40R19 vs the PP2 305/30R19, the 305/30 is 1.5" in diameter less. This is how the car's ride height is reduced by about 3/4" form a PP1 or stock GT.

The 305/30 is 26.2" in diameter while the 275/40 is 27.7" in diameter. You will need to see about the width and if you need different offset wheels (the front offset is 45mm on a PP1 while the PP2 has 24mm offset in order to push the tire out of the wheel well. This increases track width but also might have been done for fitment. ).

I would be hopeful to believe that if a 27.7" diameter tire fits, then it might also fit for a larger tire up front.

From the calculator, a 305/30R20 will have a diameter of 27.2" which is still less than a 275/40. Of course more stock PP1 and GT have 255/40 up front (27" diameter tire).

I would do a search to see who has mounted a 275/40 up front to see how much room there is. It might just be too tall.

For winter, I have a set of 275/35R19 but they are very close to the 305/30 in diameter. Even a 275/35 would still add about 1.4" to the diameter.

I think a search is your best friend....
thank you. I'm getting the tire sizing now. in the end i need to maintain the height of the tires. i see that if i go to 20s, i have to lower the AR, but when i do that won't the ride be much more rough?

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
If you maintain the stock diameter and go to a larger wheel, you can get:
1. Rougher ride
2. Crisper steering response
3. Greater chance of potholes and other road issues damaging the wheels
4. More unsprung weight - wheels often in a larger diameter are heavier than the amount of weight loss going to a lower aspect ratio tire. More weight in the wheels/tires means slower acceleration and braking and less fuel economy.

If you do not reduce the aspect ratio, you will be reducing the final drive ratio so that nice 3.73 will be a smaller ratio resulting in slower acceleration on its own

Putting in lowering springs will already stiffen the ride. Might be overkill to also lower the tire profile on larger wheels.

IMO, people only go to larger wheels to get the lowered look without actually lowering the car.

Do you like the way the car rides stock? I am surprised that all of those who think the car is well tuned do not just go to an auto body shop and have the wheel wells flairs extended to get that tire filled look.

To me, the Mustang is a great looking car that I am most interested in it’s performance than its looks. If lowering the car improves it, that is the way I would go. For me it also has to be functional as a daily driver and lowering it will only make it harder to go places.

I wish you all the best in your efforts to make an iconic and very common car unique. It is yours and that already makes it unique.

Enjoy your car and the projects you plan for her.

All the best,
Frank

10SpeedDemon

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Dre
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
1. Rougher ride
4. More unsprung weight - wheels often in a larger diameter are heavier than the amount of weight loss going to a lower aspect ratio tire. More weight in the wheels/tires means slower acceleration and braking and less fuel economy.

If you do not reduce the aspect ratio, you will be reducing the final drive ratio so that nice 3.73 will be a smaller ratio resulting in slower acceleration on its own

Putting in lowering springs will already stiffen the ride. Might be overkill to also lower the tire profile on larger wheels.

IMO, people only go to larger wheels to get the lowered look without actually lowering the car.

Do you like the way the car rides stock? I am surprised that all of those who think the car is well tuned do not just go to an auto body shop and have the wheel wells flairs extended to get that tire filled look.

To me, the Mustang is a great looking car that I am most interested in it’s performance than its looks. If lowering the car improves it, that is the way I would go. For me it also has to be functional as a daily driver and lowering it will only make it harder to go places.

I wish you all the best in your efforts to make an iconic and very common car unique. It is yours and that already makes it unique.

All the best,
Frank
you're 100% right! I have 20's now and I'm in the process of going back to 19's now. Car feels heavier, slower and it take longer for the accelerate and brake (with having Brembo brakes)

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
1. Rougher ride

All the best,
Frank

Well said .................
Pep

Sponsored

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
Different strokes for different folks. There are actually light weight 20" wheels out there.

First point was rougher ride....entirely possible but if you keep a decent sidewall, not likely. Typically lowering the car has more of an effect on the ride.
2nd point was crisper handling.....again some people prefer this and again the width and aspect will have a lot to do with that.
3rd point was greater chance of pothole damage....well that is true but the right pot hole will damage any size wheel....also, again sidewall aspect is what offers a lot of the protection.
4th point was more unsprung weight....there are a lot of aftermarket 20's that are lighter than the stock 19's.

What wasn't mentioned is that 20's tend to cost more for the wheels and the tires.

It is all about what you prefer....everyone is not a racer that has to be lighter and faster at all costs.

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Different strokes for different folks. There are actually light weight 20" wheels out there.

First point was rougher ride....entirely possible but if you keep a decent sidewall, not likely. Typically lowering the car has more of an effect on the ride.
2nd point was crisper handling.....again some people prefer this and again the width and aspect will have a lot to do with that.
3rd point was greater chance of pothole damage....well that is true but the right pot hole will damage any size wheel....also, again sidewall aspect is what offers a lot of the protection.
4th point was more unsprung weight....there are a lot of aftermarket 20's that are lighter than the stock 19's.

What wasn't mentioned is that 20's tend to cost more for the wheels and the tires.

It is all about what you prefer....everyone is not a racer that has to be lighter and faster at all costs.
I stated if you kept the same diameter. If you go up in wheel size and leave the outer diameter the same, you will have to get a narrower sidewall. No where did I suggest putting a 20" wheel and going to a larger diameter tire. The first place where shock is absorbed is your tires. Stiffening them or reducing the sidewall will make the ride harsher.

So smaller sidewall will have rougher, crisper handling and be more prone to damage. Just ask the Civic Type R guys how easy it is to ruin a large wheel with a lo profile tire.

Also, there are a lot of 19" even lighter... You will always find a wheel in a smaller diameter weighing less that the same wheel in a larger diameter. Got to compare apples to apples. Go find me a 20" wheel where the 19" of the same wheel weighs more with the same width.

I understand, some are caught up with performance and others are caught up on looks.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
Not here to argue. Yes you did state if you keep the same diameter. Many people change the diameter but still stay close to stock or have diameters front and rear that maintain close close within each other. Are the base wheels the exact same diameter as the PP wheels? I won't argue where the first place a shock is absorbed, as I have never actually thought about it.

I know all about short sidewalls, own a car that has a stock tire of 30 ratio in the front and a 25 aspect ratio in the rear. Yes you can ruin a large wheel with a low profile tire; you can also ruin a low front splitter. The point is where and how you drive can make a big difference.

I'm not against 19" wheels at all. Just remember again, everyone is not out for the lightest car or fastest car, though sometimes on here that is what it seems like. I agree the very same wheel if available in both a 19" and 20" will have the 19" lighter. Looks are in the eye of the beholder......if looks don't matter and only performance is what we are after.....we most likely wouldn't be running a 19 or 20.

Again, not trying to argue just bringing up that everyone is not the same and have different wants. :) It's just that the OP said he is wanting to go with 20s". So....options

I stated if you kept the same diameter. If you go up in wheel size and leave the outer diameter the same, you will have to get a narrower sidewall. No where did I suggest putting a 20" wheel and going to a larger diameter tire. The first place where shock is absorbed is your tires. Stiffening them or reducing the sidewall will make the ride harsher.

So smaller sidewall will have rougher, crisper handling and be more prone to damage. Just ask the Civic Type R guys how easy it is to ruin a large wheel with a lo profile tire.

Also, there are a lot of 19" even lighter... You will always find a wheel in a smaller diameter weighing less that the same wheel in a larger diameter. Got to compare apples to apples. Go find me a 20" wheel where the 19" of the same wheel weighs more with the same width.

I understand, some are caught up with performance and others are caught up on looks.

Triton54

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
18 GT A-10 (mine) 17 GT pp, 6spd (wifes)
^ Your car looks >fabulous< i just love the PP2 wheels, were those Vertini's really expensive?
Sponsored