Sponsored

Tire recommendation for summer daily driver and track

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
that's taking it a bit far... The PSS appears to do a noticeably better job at the track while the PS4S' sidewall is a bit too soft, and has a decent number of delamination reports when pushed. I suspect people destroying the PS4S have tire pressures too low. I don't know why people use such a blunt instrument as PSI when perfectly accurate (enough) IR temp sensors are like $10.
I wasn't really commenting on the performance and trackability of the 2, as you mentioned there are a few differences. I more commented on the durability of them, and while I have no personal experience with the PS4S specifically, I do know several others that have used them and did not destroy them and I've had good life from PSS so I don't expect the PS4S to be much different.

And yes, you can destroy any tire on the track with incorrect alignment and pressure.
Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
that's taking it a bit far... The PSS appears to do a noticeably better job at the track while the PS4S' sidewall is a bit too soft, and has a decent number of delamination reports when pushed. I suspect people destroying the PS4S have tire pressures too low. I don't know why people use such a blunt instrument as PSI when perfectly accurate (enough) IR temp sensors are like $10.
IDK man, before the MP4S existed there were plenty of delaminated or chunked MPSS tires at track days. I’ve seen it firsthand. Neither tire likes to be run too hard at the track (hitting track curbs and all) with too little camber with a heavy car. Its possible that getting some heat cycles into them and hardening them up makes them more resistant to chunking, but clearly insignificant camber can be a major issue.

OP
OP
Dano

Dano

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Aside from the initial high cost, what using the Michelin Sport Cup 2 for track and daily driver?

hemistar1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2, 2017 F-150
Dano IMHO the sport cup is a little too much tire for the street, everyday driving. At $1800 set the benefit of the excellent grip and traction would be wasted for a daily driver albeit great for the occasional stoplight challenger.

I recently added 4 Cooper Zeon RS 3 G1 and I am very happy with results.I currently selling my Michelin sport cup 2 in the classified but may keep them for the track if I can find a matching set of rims.

As others have said 2 sets of tires/rims may be the way to go.

qwiknotch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damon
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 Mustang GT, 1990 Mustang LX
Vehicle Showcase
I'm trying to perform double duty in my Continentals, daily and autox. After about 6 months, I've come to the conclusion it's best to have a dedicated track set.
How did the Continentals do on the track? What size and tire do you have?

Sponsored

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
How did the Continentals do on the track? What size and tire do you have?
Sorry autocross not track. Didn't meant to confuse. They do well, very well for a 300 tw tire. size is listed in my signature. 275.40 r19. No secondary tire yet that is something I'm eyeing in the future.

cocopanda

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J
Vehicle(s)
2019 Premium GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
So. I've been searching after a seller pulled out on a set of PP1 tires that I already drive on. I just don't want to tear up this pair of 4S's. So i'm looking for rims for the track days. Live next to Laguna and finally getting up to 20K on the speedometer in the next year. Whats just a good fitting rim for the PP1 besides the OEM I could look at? Just because Its tough finding another set in Cali. i'm open to buying and picking up if anyone has any.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
So. I've been searching after a seller pulled out on a set of PP1 tires that I already drive on. I just don't want to tear up this pair of 4S's. So i'm looking for rims for the track days. Live next to Laguna and finally getting up to 20K on the speedometer in the next year. Whats just a good fitting rim for the PP1 besides the OEM I could look at? Just because Its tough finding another set in Cali. i'm open to buying and picking up if anyone has any.
How serious do you want to get? A square setup is crucial, but to do 19x11 square you'll need other supporting modifications. To bolt right on, there are a number of good 19x10 options from SVE and Apex.

cocopanda

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J
Vehicle(s)
2019 Premium GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
How serious do you want to get? A square setup is crucial, but to do 19x11 square you'll need other supporting modifications. To bolt right on, there are a number of good 19x10 options from SVE and Apex.
Well that is what I'm trying to do with finding a 2nd pair of PP1 rims. I thought I had it but fucked up and waited too long. Then once I have that. I'll Daily drive on the 255's square and track the 275's with the spacers on the front. I just want to be able to rotate the tires on my daily set. And I'm up to 14K on my OEM shoes. So I just want to take it light on the wheels i'll be driving to work with.

Personal experience and I live right next to the track. like across the street from Laguna. And i'm not worried about having to do other work. So I'm def going to check out those other rims ya said. But I'm trying to stick around 9 inch and 9.5 inch wide.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Well that is what I'm trying to do with finding a 2nd pair of PP1 rims. I thought I had it but fucked up and waited too long. Then once I have that. I'll Daily drive on the 255's square and track the 275's with the spacers on the front. I just want to be able to rotate the tires on my daily set. And I'm up to 14K on my OEM shoes. So I just want to take it light on the wheels i'll be driving to work with.

Personal experience and I live right next to the track. like across the street from Laguna. And i'm not worried about having to do other work. So I'm def going to check out those other rims ya said. But I'm trying to stick around 9 inch and 9.5 inch wide.
Only real knock on PP wheels is they're very heavy. You can get flow formed 19x10s that are 8-9 lbs less per corner, and are very affordable.

Sponsored

cocopanda

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J
Vehicle(s)
2019 Premium GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Only real knock on PP wheels is they're very heavy. You can get flow formed 19x10s that are 8-9 lbs less per corner, and are very affordable.
Hey, what do you mean by flow formed? And I worry about going 10 wide because of positioning beyond the frame and kicking up rocks.

cocopanda

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J
Vehicle(s)
2019 Premium GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
even 8.5 will throw stones. put on rock guards or paint protection if you're the type to wig out over paint chips.
Sponsored